Your Digital Media Has Never Looked So Good

cgood311
Topic Author

Roku Samsung HDR Color washed out 2019 issue only

Sun Feb 03, 2019 9:25 pm

I have a Samsung KS8500 TV with a Roku ultra fully updated and just recently after a full year of no issues my Roku when watching Netlfix and Amazon Prime just before an HDR video plays it flashes and plays very washed out color palette. I rebooted the Roku and uninstalled both apps and reinstalled and still have the same issue. I bought a new model Roku Premiere hoping this would fix the issue and it did not. The HDR content plays fine on the Native Samsung Netflix and Amazon Prime TV apps so this is clearly a Roku issue. Is there any fixes currently for this.

DBDukes

Re: Roku Samsung HDR Color washed out 2019 issue only

Mon Feb 04, 2019 4:27 am

cgood311 wrote:
I have a Samsung KS8500 TV with a Roku ultra fully updated and just recently after a full year of no issues my Roku when watching Netlfix and Amazon Prime just before an HDR video plays it flashes and plays very washed out color palette. I rebooted the Roku and uninstalled both apps and reinstalled and still have the same issue. I bought a new model Roku Premiere hoping this would fix the issue and it did not. The HDR content plays fine on the Native Samsung Netflix and Amazon Prime TV apps so this is clearly a Roku issue. Is there any fixes currently for this.

It's not Reboot, Uninstall, Reinstall. It's Uninstall, Reboot, Reinstall. The order matters. Don't know if that'll fix it, but you didn't really reinstall the apps if you did it in the order you said.
DBDukes
http://TelevisionMyWay.com
-------------------------------------------------
Roku Ultra (4660)
Roku Premiere+ (3921)
Roku Stick (model 3600)

cgood311
Topic Author

Mon Feb 04, 2019 6:57 pm

didnt fix it. The Roku Premier was brand new out of box and had the exact same issue.

redtommy76

Wed Feb 06, 2019 12:37 am

I have a new Samsung Q9 and the ROKU will not process HDR properly to it.  The few times I got it to work, I noticed it forced the Samsung to change its gamma mode causing a washed out picture. I'm not sure about your model Samsung but the q9 has three different gamma modes under Expert picture settings. You can try to adjust them or just stick with non-HDR which causes less issues.  Not a problem with the TV, its something with the ROKU 

RokuTannerD

Mon Feb 11, 2019 12:32 pm

Thanks for the note here. Sorry to hear about the issue you're seeing! A few more details will help us understand the issue you're experiencing a bit better. 

- To help clarify, you said this issue only recently started occurring? When did you first observe the issue? 
- Could you please provide more information about which model of Roku device you are using, and specific examples of content titles inside the particular channel that you experience the issue on? 
- In Settings>Display type, what option do you have selected? If you try selecting a specific 4K display option, does this make any difference? 
- Do you have the Roku connected directly to the TV, or is it connected through an audio/video receiver, etc.?
- Have you tried using different HDMI ports on the TV and/or cables to see if this clears up the issue? 
- If you haven't already, please provide the specific TV make/model you are using with your Roku device. 

With more information, we can continue assisting you and take a closer look. 

Thanks!
Tanner
Tanner D.
Roku Community Manager