Your Digital Media Has Never Looked So Good

BDennison
Topic Author

Question about Spectrum

Mon Feb 04, 2019 3:57 pm

Hi, I am wondering can I view spectrum channels if I am using another internet provider? Just tried to login with my spectrum login info and it says something about not being able to log into the spectrum wireless. We use a local provider for internet, but still have just spectrum cable. Thanks

BDennison
Topic Author

Re: Question about Spectrum

Mon Feb 04, 2019 4:07 pm

It is working for some channels, but for the food network the key turned red and says your spectrum settings do not include this content. We can stream it on our phone though. It's wierd. Anyone have any idea what's up?

ghb51

Mon Feb 04, 2019 4:48 pm

With Spectrum cable you can only stream all channels on your home network, if you try to stream off your home network only some channels will be available, so my guess would be that's what's happening to you, Spectrum doesn't see it's modem since you use another internet providor, so it assumes you're off you're home network and only allows you to stream some channels rather than your full subscription.

dgrace

Mon Feb 04, 2019 7:58 pm

Xfinity works that same way.
"I might be moving to Montana soon..."
FZ

lougrinzo

Wed Feb 06, 2019 11:53 am

BDennison wrote:
It is working for some channels, but for the food network the key turned red and says your spectrum settings do not include this content. We can stream it on our phone though. It's wierd. Anyone have any idea what's up?

I'm seeing the exact same issue.  I've streamed FN many times from the same not-home location without trouble over the last 3 years, as well as other channels.  Suddenly only FN refuses to play live content and "red keys" almost everything else.

As I recall, something similar happened a while ago (I don't remember if it was FN or a different stream), and the problem was some kind of programming glitch between Roku and the app, so they couldn't verify your account properly.  Eventually that one got worked out.  I hope this one does, also.

RokuTannerDB

Mon Feb 11, 2019 2:18 pm

Thanks for the notes here. 

To help clarify, Spectrum currently requires that you use a Spectrum internet connection in order to stream content through the Spectrum channel on Roku. 

Please feel free to contact Spectrum support for any additional questions and information around their channel usage requirements on the Roku platform.

Thanks,
Tanner 
Tanner D.
Roku Community Manager