Your Digital Media Has Never Looked So Good

deveals
Topic Author

Roku Premier + buffering for Netflix

Mon Feb 11, 2019 8:39 pm

Hello and good day!  I have a Roku Premier + (model # 4630X) and have been enjoying for almost a year.  However, I noticed the Netflix stream regularly buffers; after checking network speeds:
1. Network is 120 mbs
2. Roku is approx. 89s
3. Netflix is approx. 29 mbs 

Seems like plenty of network capacity, but the buffer for Netflix is becoming more regular, but not for Amazon Prime nor Redbox?  Any suggestions?

Thanks. Danny.

atc98092

Re: Roku Premier + buffering for Netflix

Tue Feb 12, 2019 6:33 am

I had an issue with Netflix in the past, and after my ISP investigated (after I contacted my state's Attorney General's office) they found that something outside the ISP network that was throttling my Netflix access. They had no control over it, and eventually the problem went away. It didn't cause buffering, but did make 4K streaming impossible, and often I couldn't even get 720. So it's totally possible that there's a network issue that is only impacting Netflix. But I don't believe there's anything specific to the Premiere that is causing a problem. 
Dan
Nvidia Shield, Roku Stick (3600), Ultra (4640), Premiere (3920), Insignia 720p Roku TV, Sharp 4K Roku TV, Windows 10 Pro x64 running Serviio and Plex on a wired Gigabit network.

nolaghost

Tue Feb 12, 2019 1:16 pm

I have a Roku Ultra 4640R model that does the same thing with Netflix. Also works fine with Amazon Prime, but buffers on Netflix and sometimes chokes my router WiFi. I have a Netgear X10, R9000 router that is very powerful and I'm about 30 feet away from it in a regular apartment. Again, this is only happening with Netflix.
Any recommendations other thank hard-wiring? I used to have this same problem with an older Roku and only wiring it directly to the router fixed the issue. I hope I don't have to this time.

PS. I only have about 4-6 devices connected to my router (phone, computer e.t.c.). Internet speed is 100Mbps. When I do Roku connection test, it shows "Excellent" for WiFi connection status and always above 50Mbps for internet. Roku is connected to an HD 1080p projector. 

Tajson

Tue Feb 12, 2019 1:55 pm

nolaghost wrote:
I used to have this same problem with an older Roku and only wiring it directly to the router fixed the issue. I hope I don't have to this time.

Have you turned on WMM yet?

nolaghost

Tue Feb 12, 2019 2:17 pm

Tajson wrote:
nolaghost wrote:
I used to have this same problem with an older Roku and only wiring it directly to the router fixed the issue. I hope I don't have to this time.

Have you turned on WMM yet?

Can't remember. Will check tonight. Good point though. Thank you Tajson!
Still a bit weird that it only happens with Netflix and not other Roku channels.

Tajson

Tue Feb 12, 2019 2:23 pm

nolaghost wrote:
Still a bit weird that it only happens with Netflix and not other Roku channels.

Well, yes along with it is only an issue on wifi and not wired. But if WMM is disabled, your wifi is limited to 54Mbps on your router as far I recall.

nolaghost

Tue Feb 12, 2019 6:25 pm

Tajson wrote:
nolaghost wrote:

Well, yes along with it is only an issue on wifi and not wired. But if WMM is disabled, your wifi is limited to 54Mbps on your router as far I recall.

WMM was enabled on the router, but Dynamic QoS was not. Netgear claims that it's best to keep it enabled if your download speed is below 300Mb. We'll see if it helps any.
Otherwise, I guess I'll either try some other device like Apple TV or wire Roku. Was really hoping to not deal with wires this day and age though.

Tajson

Tue Feb 12, 2019 7:06 pm

nolaghost wrote:
WMM was enabled on the router, but Dynamic QoS was not. Netgear claims that it's best to keep it enabled if your download speed is below 300Mb. We'll see if it helps any.
Otherwise, I guess I'll either try some other device like Apple TV or wire Roku. Was really hoping to not deal with wires this day and age though.

We can debate the threshold of 100-200-300 Mbps of WMM/QoS/NAT boosting that is effective but if it does not work, flip the option the other way since it is hardware related in the router.

nolaghost

Wed Feb 13, 2019 6:46 pm

Well, enabling QoS didn't really do anything. Wired it today. We'll see what happens now. 

nolaghost

Wed Feb 20, 2019 11:08 am

Just an update. 
Wired my Roku and it performs a little better, but I'm still having issues with buffering on Netflix, a couple of times during a movie or a show. When I periodically check connection speed from Roku, it's showing wired Internet connection between 72Mbps and 78Mbps....plenty for HD 1080p.
Next, going to try to borrow an Apple TV from a friend and see if it's any different.

Basil
** Valued Community Member **

Wed Feb 20, 2019 11:14 am

nolaghost wrote:
Just an update. 
Wired my Roku and it performs a little better, but I'm still having issues with buffering on Netflix, a couple of times during a movie or a show. When I periodically check connection speed from Roku, it's showing wired Internet connection between 72Mbps and 78Mbps....plenty for HD 1080p.
Next, going to try to borrow an Apple TV from a friend and see if it's any different.

Keep in mind that Netflix will have different servers for different devices. That's not to say an Apple TV would not be a better solution for you, just that it will be different servers. Which ties in with what Dan said earlier.
Basil
https://www.basilsblog.com/
Roku Ultra (4660)
Apple TV (5th gen), TiVo, Android TV (MiBox)

Previous:
Roku boxes from every generation.
Apple TV (2nd, 3rd, 4th gen)

nolaghost

Wed Feb 20, 2019 12:23 pm

Basil wrote:
nolaghost wrote:
Just an update. 

Keep in mind that Netflix will have different servers for different devices. That's not to say an Apple TV would not be a better solution for you, just that it will be different servers. Which ties in with what Dan said earlier.

Makes sense. Makes no difference to me which device I use, as long as it works as it should. Hoping to find a reasonable solution for such a silly problem. Hate to constantly spend money on latest and greatest just to get basics to work.

jeffrok
** Valued Community Member **

Wed Feb 20, 2019 4:13 pm

Have you tried different DNS settings on your router?

Google DNS:
Yeah, I got some Rokus.
https://youtu.be/d1CSEeqWl10

Tajson

Wed Feb 20, 2019 5:00 pm

jeffrok wrote:
Have you tried different DNS settings on your router?

What difference would that make for him when he said his wifi choke but hard-wired is fine?
nolaghost wrote:
I used to have this same problem with an older Roku and only wiring it directly to the router fixed the issue.

On second thought, it could not hurt to try a couple of main dns providers:
Google: 8.8.8.8 or 8.8.4.4
Cloudfare: 1.1.1.1 or 1.0.0.1
Level 3: 4.4.4.4 or 4.4.2.2
Quad 9: 9.9.9.9 or 149.112.112.112
OpenDNS: 208.67.222.222 or 208.67.220.220

or run a test through a tool like: https://www.grc.com/dns/benchmark.htm

ukfigs

Thu Jun 27, 2019 8:05 am

Similar issue with me, TCL ROKU TV and cannot play Netflix UHD but other channels (prime etc.) play 4k fine. Netflix just gets stuck at 99% or continually buffers. Strong 5G signal, TV shows 90mbps download but Netflix app only shows 21 mbps. Iphone 6s on same 5G network in same location speedtest shows 100 mbps. Netgear AX80 router. Not sure what to try next or who to call (Roku, TCL, Netflix).