Your Digital Media Has Never Looked So Good

WelshPaul
Topic Author

[Resolved] - Unable to create a Roku account

Tue Feb 12, 2019 7:02 am

I just purchased two Roku + Sticks but i'm unable to activate them...

I have tried to three different email address to create a Roku account, I have tried on my mobile, pc and laptop but always get the following error: 

Oops! Something went wrong, please try again

Any ideas before i return them for a refund?

DBDukes

Re: Unable to create a Roku account

Tue Feb 12, 2019 7:47 am

WelshPaul wrote:
I just purchased two Roku + Sticks but i'm unable to activate them...

I have tried to three different email address to create a Roku account, I have tried on my mobile, pc and laptop but always get the following error: 

Oops! Something went wrong, please try again

Any ideas before i return them for a refund?

While it isn't unheard of for Roku to have issues with their activation system, it is a very rare event. Apple, Google, Microsoft, and many others experience this from time to time. Usually, though, there will be an announcement posted on one of Roku's pages (here or at https://www.roku.com/) about it.

If it's not that, then we need to get some information to try to work this out.

First, you mentioned the Roku Stick+ (possibly model 3810), which is sold worldwide. So, to help with this, where are you? Physically? That is, if you walk outside, where are you? The nation/country/territory should suffice; if near a border, mention that.

Are you using a VPN?

You mentioned mobile. Are you using a rooted/jailbroken device and running additional, unsupported software?

We're looking for anything that would cause an other-than-standard connection to the Roku Website. This would include VPNs, browser plugins, etc.
DBDukes
http://TelevisionMyWay.com
-------------------------------------------------
Roku Ultra (4660)
Roku Premiere+ (3921)
Roku Stick (model 3600)

atc98092

Tue Feb 12, 2019 9:27 am

I would also suggest trying different browsers on your computer. I've heard others with this problem that were successful using a different browser. 
Dan
Nvidia Shield, Roku Stick (3600), Ultra (4640), Premiere (3920), Insignia 720p Roku TV, Sharp 4K Roku TV, Windows 10 Pro x64 running Serviio and Plex on a wired Gigabit network.

DBDukes

Tue Feb 12, 2019 9:38 am

atc98092 wrote:
I would also suggest trying different browsers on your computer. I've heard others with this problem that were successful using a different browser. 

Dan brings up an excellent point. Take one you rarely use, clear all cookies and cache from it, then try. Opera, Firefox, Chrome, Edge, Safari (Mac), and others.
DBDukes
http://TelevisionMyWay.com
-------------------------------------------------
Roku Ultra (4660)
Roku Premiere+ (3921)
Roku Stick (model 3600)

WelshPaul
Topic Author

Tue Feb 12, 2019 10:54 am

I'm in the UK and the model number of the device is 3810eu. I tried different browsers, different machines but nothing worked. After an hour or more of trying to create a Roku account I was finally able to complete registration.