Your Digital Media Has Never Looked So Good

Channel_Surfer
Topic Author

Roku® Streaming Stick®+ TV Controls Compatibility

Tue Feb 12, 2019 8:12 am

Good day all, 

This is my first time posting on the forum. In fact I registered just to let people know of a discovery I've made.
Last month I purchased a Roku Streaming Stick +, took it home, set it up with my RCA HD TV and started viewing. The only issue I came across was with registering the Stick's TV power/volume control feature. For some strange reason, the stick's remote could not recognize my television. Despite being a well-known brand like RCA. I decided to leave it because it really wasn't a great inconvenience to use two remotes. That is until last night it occurred to me, that oftentimes television manufacturers make multiple brands of televisions in a single factory, and just use various branding licenses.
So a quick Google took me to this Consumer Reports link that does some breaking down of just who owns what in the HDTV market. See below.

https://www.consumerreports.org/lcd-led-oled-tvs/tv-brands-arent-always-what-they-seem/

Reading on, I saw a handy chart at the bottom that simplifies things a bit. Notice it states that the brand ProScan is owned as a budget arm of RCA. All it took was one attempt to get the remote to pair to a ProScan TV rather than an RCA TV and I was set. Works perfectly. 

So hopefully this little guide from CR can help you to find the sub-brand of TV associated with your TV's manufacturer. It helped me to whittle down the amount of remotes sitting on the coffee table.  

Tivoburkee

Re: Roku® Streaming Stick®+ TV Controls Compatibility

Tue Feb 12, 2019 11:02 am

Current models of RCA TV use the LG code set.

Channel_Surfer
Topic Author

Tue Feb 12, 2019 11:14 am

Apparently some are using the Proscan number set. At least in my case. Could it be that the Proscan and RCA brands are both using LG? I'll experiment.

atc98092

Tue Feb 12, 2019 1:11 pm

I remember decades ago that Proscan was either a sub-brand of RCA, or that RCA built the devices. No idea who owns what anymore. I think almost all of them are owned, or at least manufactured, by just a few companies. 
Dan
Nvidia Shield, Roku Stick (3600), Ultra (4640), Premiere (3920), Insignia 720p Roku TV, Sharp 4K Roku TV, Windows 10 Pro x64 running Serviio and Plex on a wired Gigabit network.