Your Digital Media Has Never Looked So Good

pgtr
Topic Author

3800 vs 3900

Thu Feb 14, 2019 8:19 pm

I have a pair of 3800s that in hindsight may not have been what I should have purchased (very problematic remotes that lose their sync regularly). I also regret not being able to use my universal IR remotes. I'm thinking of selling my almost new 3800s at online auction and buying a pair of 3900s.

From what I can tell - they are very similar units...?

I would lose the built in microphones for audio search (could still do this via mobile ap)

I would have to have the unit in visible line of site as with any traditional IR controlled device

I would be able to use a single universal IR remote for all devices including the 3900

Am I missing anything? 

thanks

DBDukes

Re: 3800 vs 3900

Fri Feb 15, 2019 1:34 am

pgtr wrote:
I have a pair of 3800s that in hindsight may not have been what I should have purchased (very problematic remotes that lose their sync regularly). I also regret not being able to use my universal IR remotes. I'm thinking of selling my almost new 3800s at online auction and buying a pair of 3900s.

From what I can tell - they are very similar units...?

I would lose the built in microphones for audio search (could still do this via mobile ap)

I would have to have the unit in visible line of site as with any traditional IR controlled device

I would be able to use a single universal IR remote for all devices including the 3900

Am I missing anything? 

thanks

3900 is 2.4 GHz only, while 3800 also supports 5 GHz band on WiFi. Apart from that, you should get similar performance from the 3900.

Also, kinda related, on your other post, you dismissed out of hand trying a different WiFi band in troubleshooting your Stick remote issue, saying you did that a while back. While changing to 1 or 11 may not resolve it, you won’t know unless you actually do it.
DBDukes
http://www.dbdukes.com
-------------------------------------------------
Roku Ultra (4660)
Roku Premiere+ (3921)
Roku Stick (model 3600)