Your Digital Media Has Never Looked So Good

cobra617
Topic Author

HDR Not working

Thu Feb 14, 2019 8:51 pm

Well, here is another HDR thread. 
I have multiple Roku Premier + (the older one with ethernet) and Ultra devices. None of them work with HDR. 

I've picked 1 of them to test with. It is connected to a Pioneer Elite VSX-LX301 receiver and a Samsung 82Q8 TV. 

When I go to display and select 4K HDR, it fails the HDR check. 
On that same A/V receiver I have a Sony UBX-P700 UHD player. HDR works just fine for that. If I remove the HDMI cable from the back of the UHD player and into the Roku, HDR still fails. If I move an Apple 4K (from another room) onto that same HDMI cable HDR works fine with that. I also have a Firestick 4K and HDR works with it (it has its own HDMI connection). So the problem is absolutely the Roku. I've removed any possiblity of the TV, A/V receiver or cables since those same deivces work just fine with my UHD player, Apple 4K and Firestick 4K. 

I am frustrated beyond belief. I want to use the Roku, mainly for 3 reasons:
- IR (Firestick 4K doesn't have this)
- Built-in ethernet (Firestick requires an adapter for this) 
- Cost (Apple TV 4K is considerably more expensive) 

But this HDR issue is a deal breaker for me. HDR used to work. 

rey_1178

Re: HDR Not working

Fri Feb 15, 2019 4:10 am

I am in the same boat as you cobra617 since OS9 came out. Roku thought it was a hardware issue and replaced my roku ultra even though that made no sense to me. If it works with the previous firmware then it doesn't after the update,it's software. I confirmed that when I was able to roll back to OS8.1  build 4083 and HDR worked again, but there was no way to stop the roku from updating again. 

My setup is 4660X Roku Ultra running through my AVR Pioneer Elite SC-LX502 then to my TV Samsung QN75Q6FNAFXZA.  If I hook my roku straight to the TV HDR does work but that's not my setup. The issue isn't on my end, it's a bug in their firmware. None of my other components that do HDR have an issue and again the roku works perfectly with the older firmware. My case is still open and Roku says they are working on it but it's real frustrating to have bought all this stuff back in November to switch over to 4k and suddenly not have the roku display HDR content. 

Please if you haven't, report your issue to RokuTannerDB and hopefully the more people speak up the more likely they get this resolved. I don't get why not just revert back to the previous firmware until all the bugs are worked out. 

cobra617
Topic Author

Fri Feb 15, 2019 7:27 am

Thanks Rey. This is frustrating beyond belief. (Especially since I have 4 of these) I wonder why this isn't a bigger issue right now? My thought is that most people just don't realize that HDR is broken on these devices. For me without HDR, these are paperweights. What takes me from frustrated to angry is that I bought 4 of these devices and they were working just fine. Then Roku updates the firmware which breaks HDR. So in effect, I am paying for their mistake. 
I'll shoot a note to RokuTannerDB.  Are we doing this as a PM?
Last edited by cobra617 on Fri Feb 15, 2019 9:50 am, edited 1 time in total.

rey_1178

Fri Feb 15, 2019 9:23 am

cobra617 wrote:
Thanks Rey. This is frustrating beyond belief. (Especially since I have 4 of these) I wonder why this isn't a bigger issue right now? My thought is that most people just don't realize that HDR is broken on these devices. For me without HDR, these are paperweights. What takes me from frustrated to angry is that I bought 4 of these devices and they were working just fine. Then Roku updates the firmware which brakes HDR. So in effect, I am paying for their mistake. 
I'll shoot a note to RokuTannerDB.  Are we doing this as a PM?

Yeah you can do it via PM. Roku will probably contact you once Tanner sends them your info. 

Heyitsrick

Fri Feb 15, 2019 10:26 am

It's not the same receiver, but my Pioneer Elite VSX-45 and Roku Premiere + work fine in HDR mode. 

StreamerUserDude

Fri Feb 15, 2019 10:57 am

HDR isn't broken on these devices with the latest firmware - the huge vast majority of users are using it just fine.

The reason "most people dont realize it isnt working", is, in fact, because it is.  It isnt "a bigger issue" because it isnt, in fact, a bigger issue.

HDR is working - it's just not working in a specific configuration for either of you.

Both of you have Samsung TVs connected to Pioneer Elite AVRs, and are connecting the Roku's through the AVRs.

Coincidence?

One of you did basic troubleshooting and clearly acknowledges the HDR works properly when connected directly to the TV.   The other would probably also discover the same if they directly connected as well.

Is it reasonably fair to claim the Roku HDR isn't working if when directly connected to the TV it does in fact work?

Both of you had working HDR with previous firmware versions in your connection configurations and it surely is frustrating that the upgrade broke HDR in your specific similar configurations.

And while Roku is a bit absurd (yet predictable) in sending out another unit or refusing locked-rollbacks to previous firmware versions, it just isn't accurate to claim that HDR isn't working in these devices - at worst it isn't working for some specific configurations with the latest firmware on some Roku models (a problem surely every firmware version has with different functionality on different Roku models).

Is there something that prevents either one of you, at least temporarily, from connecting it directly to the TV until/while Roku resolves the issues with your specific configs?

If it works that way, connect it that way until they issue a newer firmware that fixes the issue.  Working with a non-preferred connection is better than not working at all.

RokuTannerD

Fri Feb 15, 2019 1:04 pm

@cobra617
@rey_1178

Thanks for letting us know what you're seeing. I'm sorry to hear about the issue that you're running into here. 

@cobra617 - Similar to @rey_1178, if you connect the Roku directly to your TV to test, does HDR work properly? 

If you haven't already, please PM me with your Roku account email address, the serial number of your Roku device, and the make/model of both your TV and A/V receiver (if not already stated), and the channel(s) & content which you're observing the issue on. I'll follow up directly to assist you further from there. 

Thanks,
Tanner 
Tanner D.
Roku Community Manager

rey_1178

Fri Feb 15, 2019 2:49 pm

@StreamerUserDude No one said HDR is broken on all these devices which is why we specified our configuration. Why don't I temporarily connect it to the TV? Because I'd lose Dolby atmos. Because I shouldn't have to alter my setup due to a bug caused by Roku, not me. I do appreciate your advice and understand where you're coming from. I just hope the few of us having issues with the latest firmware are not forgotten.

cobra617
Topic Author

Fri Feb 15, 2019 4:42 pm

StreamerUserDude wrote:
HDR isn't broken on these devices with the latest firmware - the huge vast majority of users are using it just fine.

I don't believe it is a coincidence that this issue is affecting Samsungs. I just checked another Roku that I had forgotten about (I have 22 TVs so, I can't keep track of everything I have). Yamaha RX-V2070 receiver and JVC RS540 projector (4K e-shift with HDR). HDR works on it. 
Now....Samsung is the largest TV manufacturer by market share with over 20% of the market. So if it truly affects Samsungs how was this missed in QA testing?
Why don't I connect the Roku directly to the TV? 
- All of my TVs are wall mounted and I cannot get to the inputs that easily. (Nor can I run a new cable)
- I don't want to run sound over ARC. I hate ARC. To use it I have to enable HDMI-CEC which causes "issues". No thanks. 
- I want advanced surround formats over HDMI.
- I'll just deal with an Amazon 4K and needing a separate remote before I connect the Roku directly to the TV (All of my audio equipment in every location is hidden and I use wired IR repeaters)
This isn't the first time with HDR issues. A while back on an LG TV, I had to change the Roku either to or from 4:2:2 (can't remember now) to get it to stop some issues I was having.

redtommy76

Thu Feb 21, 2019 12:55 pm

rey_1178 wrote:
I am in the same boat as you cobra617 since OS9 came out. Roku thought it was a hardware issue and replaced my roku ultra even though that made no sense to me. If it works with the previous firmware then it doesn't after the update,it's software. I confirmed that when I was able to roll back to OS8.1  build 4083 and HDR worked again, but there was no way to stop the roku from updating again. 

My setup is 4660X Roku Ultra running through my AVR Pioneer Elite SC-LX502 then to my TV Samsung QN75Q6FNAFXZA.  If I hook my roku straight to the TV HDR does work but that's not my setup. The issue isn't on my end, it's a bug in their firmware. None of my other components that do HDR have an issue and again the roku works perfectly with the older firmware. My case is still open and Roku says they are working on it but it's real frustrating to have bought all this stuff back in November to switch over to 4k and suddenly not have the roku display HDR content. 

Please if you haven't, report your issue to RokuTannerDB and hopefully the more people speak up the more likely they get this resolved. I don't get why not just revert back to the previous firmware until all the bugs are worked out. 

Similar issue.  Roku connected to Pioneer Elite AVR which then is connected to my Samsung Q9 will only do HDR 30fps if the Samsung Q9 has the avr input switched to HDMI UHD Color to off (and this is intermittent).  Cables are certified 18gbs rocketfish cables and shorter length. Roku connected directly to Samsung one connect with the input configured to HDR mode on shows full 30/60 HDR support.  All other AVR devices show no HDR issues when connected to the Samsung with its input HDMI UDH Color mode enabled.  Just the ROKU. 

rey_1178

Fri Feb 22, 2019 3:50 am

redtommy76 wrote:
rey_1178 wrote:

Similar issue.  Roku connected to Pioneer Elite AVR which then is connected to my Samsung Q9 will only do HDR 30fps if the Samsung Q9 has the avr input switched to HDMI UHD Color to off (and this is intermittent).  Cables are certified 18gbs rocketfish cables and shorter length. Roku connected directly to Samsung one connect with the input configured to HDR mode on shows full 30/60 HDR support.  All other AVR devices show no HDR issues when connected to the Samsung with its input HDMI UDH Color mode enabled.  Just the ROKU. 

Actually I can do the exact same thing you posted there. There's something this roku update broke related to when it's connected through the Pioneer AVR.  I wish they'd figure it out already. 

rey_1178

Fri Feb 22, 2019 4:58 pm

Latest update still hasn't fixed this HDR issue.

redtommy76

Fri Feb 22, 2019 5:06 pm

rey_1178 wrote:
Latest update still hasn't fixed this HDR issue.

Nope and I can't find the release notes for what it was supposed to do. No change

RokuTannerD

Fri Feb 22, 2019 6:40 pm

@rey_1178
@redtommy76

If you haven't already, please PM me with your Roku account email address, the serial number of your Roku device, and a recap of the make/model of both your TV and A/V receiver. Please also include the channel(s) & content titles which you're observing the issue on, and what your current settings are in Settings>Display type. I'll follow up directly to gather more info and assist you further from there. 

Thanks,
Tanner 
Tanner D.
Roku Community Manager

mcphailben

Sat Feb 23, 2019 7:10 am

StreamerUserDude wrote:

The reason "most people dont realize it isnt working", is, in fact, because it is.  It isnt "a bigger issue" because it isnt, in fact, a bigger issue.

HDR is working - it's just not working in a specific configuration for either of you.

Both of you have Samsung TVs connected to Pioneer Elite AVRs, and are connecting the Roku's through the AVRs.

Coincidence?

One of you did basic troubleshooting and clearly acknowledges the HDR works properly when connected directly to the TV.   The other would probably also discover the same if they directly connected as well.

Is it reasonably fair to claim the Roku HDR isn't working if when directly connected to the TV it does in fact work?

Both of you had working HDR with previous firmware versions in your connection configurations and it surely is frustrating that the upgrade broke HDR in your specific similar configurations.

And while Roku is a bit absurd (yet predictable) in sending out another unit or refusing locked-rollbacks to previous firmware versions, it just isn't accurate to claim that HDR isn't working in these devices - at worst it isn't working for some specific configurations with the latest firmware on some Roku models (a problem surely every firmware version has with different functionality on different Roku models).

Is there something that prevents either one of you, at least temporarily, from connecting it directly to the TV until/while Roku resolves the issues with your specific configs?

If it works that way, connect it that way until they issue a newer firmware that fixes the issue.  Working with a non-preferred connection is better than not working at all.

I don't have a Samsung and am directly connected to the tv with a Premiere+ and am having this issue.