Your Digital Media Has Never Looked So Good

mc510
Topic Author

Wifi won't connect after power outage

Wed Mar 06, 2019 10:13 pm

I've had this problem (too frequently) before, and lots of rebooting stuff eventually got the Roku connected again. But it's not working this time. Every other device in my house automatically reconnected just fine. If I disable encryption on the router, then the Roku will connect, but I obviously can't leave it that way, and when I switch back to WPA2-AES then the Roku again won't connect. It's giving me error 14.30. Help?

mc510
Topic Author

Re: Wifi won't connect after power outage

Wed Mar 06, 2019 11:10 pm

Update: after an hour of banging my head against this, I tried changing the password on the router, and voila the Roku was able to connect. Great! Go back on the router and put the password back to what it was before, and the Roku is again unable to connect. So it will connect if I disable encryption on the router, or if I change the wifi encryption password, but not with encryption "on" and the original password. What the heck???  Two iPhones, four computers, one wifi printer, one Android tablet are having no problems at all; it's only the Roku.  >:-(

mc510
Topic Author

Wed Mar 06, 2019 11:22 pm

Update again: Router logs show "[WLAN access rejected: incorrect security] from MAC" with my Roku's MAC address. It seems like the Roku is either attempting to negotiate encryption with the wrong protocol, or it is incorrectly encrypting the password. But only if it's the same password that was being used previously; no problems with a different password or different (i.e., no) encryption. 

Update yet again: Changed encryption on the router to WPA2-PSK-AES/TKIP and it was able to connect. I suppose I could just leave it this way, but TKIP is much less secure than AES and I don't really want my router to offer it as an option. What is going on with the Roku that it can't connect using the previous password and encryption protocol?

dgrace

Thu Mar 07, 2019 5:52 am

If its really important to you to have it as it was then maybe a full factory reset is in order. You'll then have to link to your Roku account again. Something is stuck, and may actually be in your router. Either way you know it stills works. 
"I might be moving to Montana soon..."
FZ

DBDukes

Thu Mar 07, 2019 6:19 am

dgrace wrote:
If its really important to you to have it as it was then maybe a full factory reset is in order. You'll then have to link to your Roku account again. Something is stuck, and may actually be in your router. Either way you know it stills works. 

What about clearing network settings on Roku. That added that in 9.0 (maybe it was 8.1). Then if that doesn’t work, a full device reset?
DBDukes
http://TelevisionMyWay.com
-------------------------------------------------
Roku Ultra (4660)
Roku Premiere+ (3921)
Roku Stick (model 3600)

mc510
Topic Author

Thu Mar 07, 2019 8:52 am

DBDukes wrote:
What about clearing network settings on Roku. That added that in 9.0 (maybe it was 8.1). Then if that doesn’t work, a full device reset?

Thanks, that (clearing network settings) sounded great; unfortunately it didn't fix it  :(

Yeah, I can do full factory reset, and I guess I would if I were sure that it would fix it, but that's such a PITA with having to go find and re-enter all of my login info for all the streaming services.

dgrace

Fri Mar 08, 2019 6:34 am

Well, its not like its very usable like it is. You could reset it, connect to network, do some testing and if it appears to be fixed then start the rebuilding of your content. 
"I might be moving to Montana soon..."
FZ

scottypie1234

Sat May 18, 2019 5:23 am

jonsnow1221 wrote:
The wifi connection issue is happening with me as well as I am trying to connect my wireless printer through wifi but the connection is not getting established. It is always showing Epson error printer code e-01 and it needs to be fixed,

How is this related to Roku?

atc98092

Sat May 18, 2019 5:33 pm

scottypie1234 wrote:
jonsnow1221 wrote:
The wifi connection issue is happening with me as well as I am trying to connect my wireless printer through wifi but the connection is not getting established. It is always showing (removed spam URL) and it needs to be fixed,

How is this related to Roku?

He's a spammer, inserting that spam link in his message. 
Dan
Nvidia Shield, Roku Stick (3600), Ultra (4640), Premiere (3920), Insignia 720p Roku TV, Sharp 4K Roku TV, Windows 10 Pro x64 running Serviio and Plex on a wired Gigabit network.