Your Digital Media Has Never Looked So Good

Topic Author

Shout Factory TV Channel stopped working today

Fri Mar 15, 2019 4:24 pm

I started the Shout Factory TV channel today and its title screen comes up and goes right back to the Roku Home Menu.  I tried on two different sets with Roku boxes at different times and the same thing happens.  System software is up to date. I deleted Shout Factory TV and reinstalled it on the Roku and the same thing happens. Does this mean Roku has discontinued Shout Factory TV?

DBDukes

Re: Shout Factory TV Channel stopped working today

Fri Mar 15, 2019 4:35 pm

1775 wrote:
I started the Shout Factory TV channel today and its title screen comes up and goes right back to the Roku Home Menu.  I tried on two different sets with Roku boxes at different times and the same thing happens.  System software is up to date. I deleted Shout Factory TV and reinstalled it on the Roku and the same thing happens. Does this mean Roku has discontinued Shout Factory TV?

It’s more likely a Shout Factory TV issue and not a Roku issue.
DBDukes
http://www.dbdukes.com
-------------------------------------------------
Roku Ultra (4660)
Roku Premiere+ (3921)
Roku Stick (model 3600)

Williamt100

Fri Mar 15, 2019 6:40 pm

1775 wrote:

I'm experiencing the same issue.  Deleting, rebooting, re-installing and restarting doesn't seem to do anything -- must be a server issue.
Roku 3500X
Roku 4400X
Roku 4661X

Topic Author

Fri Mar 15, 2019 7:35 pm

I have emailed Shout Factory TV to find out what is going on?  I am hoping that Roku has not dropped Shout Factory TV!

DBDukes

Fri Mar 15, 2019 11:42 pm

1775 wrote:
I have emailed Shout Factory TV to find out what is going on?  I am hoping that Roku has not dropped Shout Factory TV!

If it was dropped, it would be removed from the Channel Store. It’s not been dropped.

Shout Factory is acting up on Roku and on Apple TV. It’s a Shout Factory thing. Like you were told earlier.
DBDukes
Roku Ultra (4660)
Roku Premiere+ (3921)
Roku Stick (model 3600)

fonzy35

Sat Mar 16, 2019 7:31 am

The Shout Factory tv (red and black letter, free version) doesn't work anymore. It start to open but it comes back to the roku menu screen.
The new version Shout Factory tv (black letters) it's the the preminium subscription in theRokuChannel at $2.99 per months after 7 days free trial

DBDukes

Sat Mar 16, 2019 12:43 pm

fonzy35 wrote:
The Shout Factory tv (red and black letter, free version) doesn't work anymore. It start to open but it comes back to the roku menu screen.
The new version Shout Factory tv (black letters) it's the the preminium subscription in theRokuChannel at $2.99 per months after 7 days free trial

As of this writing, the Shout Factory TV app has not been removed from the Roku Channel Store not from the Apple TV App Store.

That's not to say ShoutFactory isn't moving to a subscription model, but they are still offering their free app in two major app stores.
DBDukes
Roku Ultra (4660)
Roku Premiere+ (3921)
Roku Stick (model 3600)

Topic Author

Sat Mar 16, 2019 3:37 pm

It is still being offered as a free channel on Roku but it does not work.  A number of the television series that are offered on Shout have now shown up on Tubi. 

fonzy35

Sat Mar 16, 2019 5:25 pm

DBDukes wrote:
fonzy35 wrote:

As of this writing, the Shout Factory TV app has not been removed from the Roku Channel Store not from the Apple TV App Store.

That's not to say ShoutFactory isn't moving to a subscription model, but they are still offering their free app in two major app stores.

Yes iI still got it install, but it doesn't work 

RokuTannerD

Mon Mar 18, 2019 3:06 pm

Hi everyone! 

Thanks for letting us know about the behavior that you're seeing with that channel. We'd recommend reaching out to the channel provider directly to report the issue and request additional assistance. 

I've also passed along your reports to our team to share with the channel provider and request that they take a look. 

Thanks,
Tanner
Tanner D.
Roku Community Manager

Topic Author

Mon Mar 18, 2019 3:35 pm

I did that on Friday and have gotten no response. It is looking like the channel intentionally by the provider will no longer work on Roku.
Thank you for a reply. It is good to know that it is not on Roku's end.

Williamt100

Tue Mar 19, 2019 6:40 am

It appears that ShoutFactoryTV, Gravitas and Viewster all appear as "free movies & TV" channels in the channel store, but none of them will launch (or load).  I first noticed this problem a few days ago when I returned from a trip.

Coincidently, all three now appear as premium channels inside the Roku Channel -- is there a connection?
Roku 3500X
Roku 4400X
Roku 4661X

DBDukes

Tue Mar 19, 2019 7:26 am

Williamt100 wrote:
It appears that ShoutFactoryTV, Gravitas and Viewster all appear as "free movies & TV" channels in the channel store, but none of them will launch (or load).  I first noticed this problem a few days ago when I returned from a trip.

Coincidently, all three now appear as premium channels inside the Roku Channel -- is there a connection?

Dunno. I haven't watched Gravitas or Viewster, but ShoutFactory said (somewhere, I can't find the link [EDIT: Found it]) that they were aware of the issue and were working on it. And, it's not just Roku, but Apple TV app that's not functioning either.

Oh, ShoutFactory also has a subscription channel via Amazon, which has been available for a bit.

I'm not reading anything into any of this other than they're having an outage.
DBDukes
Roku Ultra (4660)
Roku Premiere+ (3921)
Roku Stick (model 3600)

Williamt100

Fri Mar 29, 2019 2:53 am

Yesterday I saw that the Shout Factory TV channel updated, but it still displays an error message after launching -- different behavior than the previous version, which simply returned to the ROKU Home Screen..

Has anyone else tried the updated channel?  Are you also experiencing an error?
Roku 3500X
Roku 4400X
Roku 4661X

DBDukes

Fri Mar 29, 2019 3:28 am

Williamt100 wrote:
Yesterday I saw that the Shout Factory TV channel updated, but it still displays an error message after launching -- different behavior than the previous version, which simply returned to the ROKU Home Screen..

Has anyone else tried the updated channel?  Are you also experiencing an error?

While the app has updated, the behavior has not.

Actually, that's not quite true. It does briefly display an error message, which is had not done before:

○ Error

There appears to be a problem. Please try again later.

[ • OK ]

It does not wait for a response, but will exit automatically almost immediately.
DBDukes
Roku Ultra (4660)
Roku Premiere+ (3921)
Roku Stick (model 3600)