Your Digital Media Has Never Looked So Good

ginarvisco
Topic Author

Battery Life on Remote

Mon Mar 18, 2019 1:24 pm

My Roku remote eats batteries like no other remote I have ever had.  Is there an issue with this? I replace the batteries every two weeks its crazy.  Any help would be appreciated.

DBDukes

Re: Battery Life on Remote

Mon Mar 18, 2019 1:30 pm

ginarvisco wrote:
My Roku remote eats batteries like no other remote I have ever had.  Is there an issue with this? I replace the batteries every two weeks its crazy.  Any help would be appreciated.

Which remote? Specifically, is the the remote that came with your Roku? And, which Roku is that (include model number)?

Also, which software version and build (don't say latest; say what it is)?

Are you using headphones on the remote (may not apply, depending on which remote you're using)? If you are using headphones, are you unplugging them when not listening?
DBDukes
http://www.dbdukes.com
-------------------------------------------------
Roku Ultra (4660)
Roku Premiere+ (3921)
Roku Stick (model 3600)

ginarvisco
Topic Author

Mon Mar 18, 2019 1:44 pm

Its the remote that came with my roku the one with the volume button. Model 3800X 

Software 9.0.0 4142-55  
Remote Firmware 2.01.19.100

No headphone dont think you can

DBDukes

Mon Mar 18, 2019 2:02 pm

ginarvisco wrote:
Its the remote that came with my roku the one with the volume button. Model 3800X 

Software 9.0.0 4142-55  
Remote Firmware 2.01.19.100

No headphone dont think you can

Got it. That's the Roku Streaming Stick. No heaphones on that device. That has traditionally been the reason for short battery life, but cannot apply in your situation.

There have been reports from others regarding the Stick and short battery life, particularly since the last couple of builds for 9.0 (I think it started being reported with build 4114, but I'm going on memory). Most likely, the moderator, Tanner, will ask you for information via PM, even if you've reported it already on the board. That'll be easier for him to coordinate with techs who are looking into these reports. He usually responds pretty quickly during west coast business hours. He's RokuTannerDB (the "Roku" in the name is the clue that he actually works for Roku), so be ready to respond when he chimes in.
DBDukes
Roku Ultra (4660)
Roku Premiere+ (3921)
Roku Stick (model 3600)

DubTaylor

Mon Mar 18, 2019 2:56 pm

ginarvisco wrote:

It's not just the stick remote. I have an Ultra, never had the headphones plugged in - when two AA Duracells need replacing at least once a month - with the mystery 'Remote Gone Missing Syndrome' (sometimes causing a hard reboot of the device), there's something horribly, horribly wrong, but you'll never get Roku to admit it. Never.

Just buy stock in Duracell.
Prayer seems to help when the remote goes into Girls Gone Wild mode. I don't pray, but my SIL says it works on hers sometimes.

fluke

Mon Mar 18, 2019 5:27 pm

I can't speak to the Roku stick, but from the Ultra remote I have been getting around a month with a pair of Energizer rechargeable 2300 mAh batteries.

I believe this is a standard side-effect from using Wifi Direct with AA batteries.

DBDukes

Mon Mar 18, 2019 5:47 pm

fluke wrote:
I can't speak to the Roku stick, but from the Ultra remote I have been getting around a month with a pair of Energizer rechargeable 2300 mAh batteries.

I believe this is a standard side-effect from using Wifi Direct with AA batteries.

Possibly. But I go months, many many months, on the same set of batteries on my Ultra. While I don't use the headphones, I do use the Roku regularly. I've not experienced the battery life issue others have reported. Don't understand why some experience it and some don't. Same model device, same software, different results. The only thing that comes to mind is either network -- such as one user having a more crowded or busier network and the remote having to search and reconnect more often -- or behavioral differences. 

An example of a behavioral difference would be something along the line of powering the device off regularly. Many Stick users will connect to a TV's USB port, which are often powered off when the TV is off. I never do on my Stick. And, I've read more and more of box users connecting to smart power strips in order to power down the Roku when the TV is off. But doesn't that leave the remote looking for something to pair with? And if it goes all night trying to pair with a device, won't that use batteries?

Now, I don't know if that may be the cause of any user's issue, but it seems to my limited brain that it might be a factor of some degree. At least for some users.
DBDukes
Roku Ultra (4660)
Roku Premiere+ (3921)
Roku Stick (model 3600)

Tivoburkee

Mon Mar 18, 2019 6:10 pm

DBDukes wrote:
fluke wrote:

Possibly. But I go months, many many months, on the same set of batteries on my Ultra. While I don't use the headphones, I do use the Roku regularly. I've not experienced the battery life issue others have reported. Don't understand why some experience it and some don't. Same model device, same software, different results. The only thing that comes to mind is either network -- such as one user having a more crowded or busier network and the remote having to search and reconnect more often -- or behavioral differences. 

An example of a behavioral difference would be something along the line of powering the device off regularly. Many Stick users will connect to a TV's USB port, which are often powered off when the TV is off. I never do on my Stick. And, I've read more and more of box users connecting to smart power strips in order to power down the Roku when the TV is off. But doesn't that leave the remote looking for something to pair with? And if it goes all night trying to pair with a device, won't that use batteries?

Now, I don't know if that may be the cause of any user's issue, but it seems to my limited brain that it might be a factor of some degree. At least for some users.

Actually with current remotes if the roku is powered off the wifi remote switches to IR for roku commands, so I doubt it would be looking for a device all night long.

ginarvisco
Topic Author

Mon Mar 18, 2019 6:19 pm

Well thanks for the discussion. It drives me absolutely mad...I think the savings I am getting from cutting the cord is being spent on batteries...

m3m0ryleak

Tue Mar 19, 2019 2:35 pm

DubTaylor wrote:
ginarvisco wrote:

It's not just the stick remote. I have an Ultra, never had the headphones plugged in - when two AA Duracells need replacing at least once a month - with the mystery 'Remote Gone Missing Syndrome' (sometimes causing a hard reboot of the device), there's something horribly, horribly wrong, but you'll never get Roku to admit it. Never.

Just buy stock in Duracell.
Prayer seems to help when the remote goes into Girls Gone Wild mode. I don't pray, but my SIL says it works on hers sometimes.

Thanks, that made me laugh

RokuTannerD

Wed Mar 20, 2019 10:09 am

Hi everyone, 

If you'd like further help from our Support team to troubleshoot the issue you're running into, please feel free to send me a PM with your Roku account email address and your Roku device's serial number from Settings>System>About. I'll follow up directly to get you in touch for more assistance. 

Thanks,
Tanner
Tanner D.
Roku Community Manager

Mystical Cat

Sat Jun 22, 2019 10:47 am

Tanner, I sent you a PM per your post, but for some reason it's stuck in the outbox.

atc98092

Sat Jun 22, 2019 12:00 pm

Mystical Cat wrote:
Tanner, I sent you a PM per your post, but for some reason it's stuck in the outbox.

Things stay in the Outbox until they're read. He likely hasn't seen it yet. 
Dan
Nvidia Shield, Roku Stick (3600), Ultra (4640), Premiere (3920), Insignia 720p Roku TV, Sharp 4K Roku TV, Windows 10 Pro x64 running Serviio and Plex on a wired Gigabit network.

Mystical Cat

Mon Jun 24, 2019 9:29 am

atc98092 wrote:
Things stay in the Outbox until they're read. He likely hasn't seen it yet. 

Thanks!

Mystical Cat

Mon Jun 24, 2019 9:32 am

I'm going to post what I wrote to Tanner in case anyone has suggestions about what I can do about this hungry remote...

I have a Roku Premiere+ and the remote is eating batteries like crazy. Note: I don't use the headphone feature. 

Last night I installed a fresh set at 11:00; this morning at 8:00 I checked the level and it dropped 13% just sitting overnight. Also, using the remote this morning to watch one 30-minute show and collect the data provided below it dropped an additional 3%.

I hope you can help!

Account email: xxx
Model: 4630X - Roku Premiere+
Serial number: YR00CN980885
Software ver: 9.1.0 build 4111-29