Your Digital Media Has Never Looked So Good

jeffrok
** Valued Community Member **

Re: Battery Life on Remote

Mon Jun 24, 2019 9:41 am

Mystical Cat wrote:
I'm going to post what I wrote to Tanner in case anyone has suggestions about what I can do about this hungry remote...

I have a Roku Premiere+ and the remote is eating batteries like crazy. Note: I don't use the headphone feature. 

Last night I installed a fresh set at 11:00; this morning at 8:00 I checked the level and it dropped 13% just sitting overnight. Also, using the remote this morning to watch one 30-minute show and collect the data provided below it dropped an additional 3%.

I hope you can help!

Account email: xxx
Model: 4630X - Roku Premiere+
Serial number: YR00CN980885
Software ver: 9.1.0 build 4111-29

Do the batteries have an expiration date printed on them? Are they alkaline batteries or just "heavy duty" batteries?
Yeah, I got some Rokus.
https://youtu.be/d1CSEeqWl10

Slam2456

Sun Jul 21, 2019 7:06 pm

The problem with rapid drainage of the batteries in Roku remotes seems to extend WAY beyond the expiration date of the batteries. :roll:  Such explanations are only too obvious, the user has certainly already considered this before going to the trouble of posting about their experience.

jeffrok
** Valued Community Member **

Mon Jul 22, 2019 7:54 am

Slam2456 wrote:
The problem with rapid drainage of the batteries in Roku remotes seems to extend WAY beyond the expiration date of the batteries. :roll:  Such explanations are only too obvious, the user has certainly already considered this before going to the trouble of posting about their experience.

Ok, then you offer an idea. All bases need to be covered- you cover some.
Yeah, I got some Rokus.
https://youtu.be/d1CSEeqWl10

DubTaylor

Mon Jul 22, 2019 9:52 am

It's the new nature of the new beast.

My Roku Ultra remote gobbles up and spits out batteries like candy through a spoiled child (not as severe as described above - that sounds like an RMA to me).
I've never had the headphones plugged in.
The remote becomes possessed by Satan at times, comes completely unglued, while random buttons seem like they're being pressed by evil ghosts before recovering - so far it does eventually recover, but when it does it's hard to say where you'll be, or if you'll be sitting through a reboot sequence (that happens sometimes and I strongly suspect the remote freak-out, in turn freaks-out the Plex App, and it blows straight up <--- 'cause that's where I am most of the time).

I have come to expect this behavior.
It's done it to me and plenty of others, but has yet to be acknowledged or investigated and for the life of me I wouldn't know where to start investigating.
It did it before and after the surgical procedure that amputated those quick-shot-buttons.

It's Roku Remote Sprites (not the UnCola).
Get used to it - would be my suggestion (and have plenty of batteries on hand).

Bob_CV

Sat Aug 03, 2019 8:19 am

Hey all.  Newbie to this forum here, but certainly not to Rokus...

I'm also having a severe battery life issue on one of my Roku Streaming Stick+ controllers.  I am a long time Roku fanatic and have several different models of box type Rokus. Early last June I replaced one of my TVs with a TCL Roku model and bought 3 Sticks to replace the boxes to remove the unsightly cables and boxes on other wall mounted TVs.  I've never had an issue with battery life with any of the previous models, including the one that is used the most and the only one that had plug in headphones (I have noted slightly shorter life with that one, but nothing unexpected or alarming).

Two of my sticks are in rooms that are not used frequently, but one is (connected to a Visio smart TV if that matters, though I doubt it).  That one goes through batteries like crazy (about a set every 1-3 weeks).  There are no headphone connections on any of these three where they are all 3810X models with S/W version 9.1.0 build 4111-50 installed.

About the only thing I haven't tried yet is swapping the controllers around to different rooms to see if the problem follows the controller, or the TV that is used the most.  I could also swap sticks around as well to see if the problem follows a specific stick.  I'm going to post this information to Tanner along with S/Ns but was wondering if anyone has run into a potential solution to this issue yet?

One other item I've noted is that this controller will lose it connection and has to be re-paired frequently, regardless of battery age.  Not sure if this is related but thought I'd mention it.

Thanks

Elijah_Baley

Sat Aug 03, 2019 9:16 am

Just to add a data point to this thread: I have 2 Ultras and 2 Roku 3s in use with the two Ultras being the most heavily used. My remotes last for months, over 6 months, and my main Ultra has had the same set for 11 months and is still reporting at 33%.

i do not know why I should have such good luck. I just use regular batteries in all my remotes.

On thing that may,  or may not, make a difference: I do not hold my remote when watching TV and I do very little "browsing" of any kind. If I wish to watch something I pick  up the remote, navigate to what I want to watch, start it playing and then put the remote down.

With the original motion sensing remotes any movement caused the sensor to kick in. Even laying them on a table could cause battery drain when people walked around if the remote were laid on its round side so it could jiggle when the table vibrated. This caused people to develop the habit of laying the remote on its face so it was less likely to move under minimal stimulus.

I "think" Roku fixed that issue with a remote firmware modification a long time ago but many people, including me, never broke the habit of laying the remote on its face so, if that bug is somehow back, maybe that is the difference.

Aside from that I do not use any Roku remote to control my TV or receivers or anything except the Roku. All my Roku remotes use WiFi-direct, except one forlorn little IR remote in my workshop, so I do not think WiFi-direct is the problem.

Maybe it is location related and batteries just last longer at my two homes. This may be particularly true here in Tennessee where I have spent most of the last year or so. This part of rural Tennessee is particularly laid back and maybe the batteries just are under less stress here. Do batteries even suffer from stress?
Two Roku Ultras, three Roku 3s and a Roku 1
"Part of the secret of success in life is to eat what you like and let the food fight it out inside." Mark Twain
Van Roy's Law: An unbreakable toy is useful for breaking other toys.

Djgerbus

Tue Aug 06, 2019 5:19 am

My serial number is YK000L707370.  I have a Roku Ultra model 4660X with a wired Ethernet connection.  I have had to replace batteries twice in 6 weeks.  Please help!  I can’t afford a Roku if this is the cost.  [Edited to remove personal information]

Dan Gerbus

RokuTannerD wrote:
Hi everyone, 

If you'd like further help from our Support team to troubleshoot the issue you're running into, please feel free to send me a PM with your Roku account email address and your Roku device's serial number from Settings>System>About. I'll follow up directly to get you in touch for more assistance. 

Thanks,
Tanner

atc98092

Tue Aug 06, 2019 7:39 am

Djgerbus wrote:
My serial number is YK000L707370.  I have a Roku Ultra model 4660X with a wired Ethernet connection.  I have had to replace batteries twice in 6 weeks.  Please help!  I can’t afford a Roku if this is the cost.

Dan Gerbus

No, that is not normal. My Ultra 4640 remote batteries last for months. Do you use the headphone jack in the remote? That alone uses a lot of battery power, and if you don't unplug the headphones when not in use your batteries will drain in days. 
Dan
Nvidia Shield, Roku Stick (3600), Ultra (4640), Premiere (3920), Insignia 720p Roku TV, Sharp 4K Roku TV, Windows 10 Pro x64 running Serviio and Plex on a wired Gigabit network.

Djgerbus

Tue Aug 06, 2019 4:44 pm

No, I do not use the headphones.

atc98092

Tue Aug 06, 2019 5:23 pm

Djgerbus wrote:
No, I do not use the headphones.

If you're still within the one year warranty period, I would contact Roku support and see about a replacement. Posting on this forum is not considered contacting support, but one of the Roku mods might be able to assist. 
Dan
Nvidia Shield, Roku Stick (3600), Ultra (4640), Premiere (3920), Insignia 720p Roku TV, Sharp 4K Roku TV, Windows 10 Pro x64 running Serviio and Plex on a wired Gigabit network.

RokuTannerD

Wed Aug 07, 2019 11:18 am

@Djgerbus

I saw your private message, and will have our support team reach out to assist you further. 

Thanks,
Tanner
Tanner D.
Roku Community Manager

Geezer260

Mon Aug 12, 2019 8:22 am

I have a 55 inch TCL Roku tv with software updated. My remote that came with the tv burns up the AA batteries in less than a week. Swapped out to Roku wireless speakers remote and those batteries burn up in 3 days. I just use it to change channels, nothing more. Why?

Abigaildrake1984

Wed Aug 14, 2019 9:34 am

My remote is also eating batteries like no other. We purchased a compatible remote after the original went missing. The tv would frequently be turned on overnight by the roku remote. We again purchased a new compatible remote thinking it was the remote having an issue not the actual stick. This remote has the pairing button only no volume control. It doesn't
seem to matter it still eats batteries and loses pairing mode on almost a daily basis. Model# 3600R serial 5S56AV223108

DubTaylor

Wed Aug 14, 2019 11:20 am

At this point I think it's fairly safe to assume some Roku Remotes are just... flaky. What to do about it? It's not like Roku could fix 'em with an update.

They could admit defeat, find a replacement remote that is as close to Rock Solid as possible (through testing I would assume) and offer it to us (once we prove who we are and how many buggy remotes we have... somehow) for $5 (probably twice what they cost) and I'd pay it. I'm not unreasonable.

RokuTannerD

Wed Aug 14, 2019 3:24 pm

@Geezer260

Thanks for reaching out. You'll want to contact TCL support to report the issue with the remote that came included with your TV, and request a warranty replacement for the issue you're running into. (Assuming your TV is still within the warranty period.) 

Please feel free to send me a private message with your order number for your Roku TV wireless speakers, as well as the email address used for your purchase, and I'll have a member of our support team reach out to follow up with you directly to assist you further. 

@Abigaildrake1984

Sorry to hear about the issue you're running into! It appears there are a couple factors contributing to your experience. I'd recommend turning off 1-touch play in Settings>System>Control other devices to prevent any unintentional remote button presses (or Roku mobile app remote commands) from triggering your TV to power on due to Roku activity. 

Please feel free to send me a PM with your Roku account email address and I'll also have our support team reach out directly. 

Cheers,
Tanner
Tanner D.
Roku Community Manager