Your Digital Media Has Never Looked So Good

BenMitchell
Topic Author

next fall a new Roku?

Tue Apr 09, 2019 6:11 pm

Usually in the fall Roku introduces a new Roku box.  Well, the question is what could a new improved Roku Ultra feature?  I mean it already has 4K and HDR. 

atc98092

Re: next fall a new Roku?

Wed Apr 10, 2019 5:21 am

Since we're speculating, I vote for the following: 
  • lossless audio bitstreaming 
  • Gigabit Ethernet
  • support for graphic based subtitles 
I don't need to ask for MPEG2 support any more, because they've already added that. By adding these three, Roku can match 99% of what wanted when I bought my Shield. The Roku UI is much easier for the family to use, so I'd prefer one of their boxes do everything I need. 
Dan
Nvidia Shield, Roku Stick (3600), Ultra (4640), Premiere (3920), Insignia 720p Roku TV, Sharp 4K Roku TV, Windows 10 Pro x64 running Serviio and Plex on a wired Gigabit network.

Bacon

Wed Apr 10, 2019 7:21 am

Add Dolby Vision.

jeffrok
** Valued Community Member **

Wed Apr 10, 2019 8:25 am

Not a hardware suggestion, but how about room profiles, instead of making a user create a new Roku account for different channels in different rooms..
Yeah, I got some Rokus.
https://youtu.be/d1CSEeqWl10

DBDukes

Wed Apr 10, 2019 11:17 am

jeffrok wrote:
Not a hardware suggestion, but how about room profiles, instead of making a user create a new Roku account for different channels in different rooms..

I’ll one-up you. What you said, plus the ability to switch between profiles.
DBDukes
http://TelevisionMyWay.com
-------------------------------------------------
Roku Ultra (4660)
Roku Premiere+ (3921)
Roku Stick (model 3600)

psongman

Fri May 10, 2019 6:04 pm

The ability to change channels with numbers, not going up and down, even getting to the guide is tough on Spectrum,  please help us out, will get another Roku if it is implemented, if not, no way!

DBDukes

Fri May 10, 2019 7:49 pm

psongman wrote:
The ability to change channels with numbers, not going up and down, even getting to the guide is tough on Spectrum,  please help us out, will get another Roku if it is implemented, if not, no way!

How well do other devices work with Spectrum?
DBDukes
http://TelevisionMyWay.com
-------------------------------------------------
Roku Ultra (4660)
Roku Premiere+ (3921)
Roku Stick (model 3600)

psongman

Mon Jun 03, 2019 12:32 pm

Well, you have to sign in to the app. My neighbor came down the other day and I showed him the Roku. He was not impressed at all, me neither. I mean, it doesn't boot up the tv to Spectrum right away, you can't enter channel numbers and you can' can't go online, you know to surf the Net. So, I have a simple question for all you Roku users. READY, What good is this device, I mean I can watch all the networks if I can get online, with all the free sites out there now. I can't believe all these people think this platform is worthwhile, except for being able to use the Spectrum app and some decent channels, it seems worthless!

twiceover

Mon Jun 03, 2019 1:18 pm

psongman wrote:
Well, you have to sign in to the app. My neighbor came down the other day and I showed him the Roku. He was not impressed at all, me neither. I mean, it doesn't boot up the tv to Spectrum right away, you can't enter channel numbers and you can' can't go online, you know to surf the Net. So, I have a simple question for all you Roku users. READY, What good is this device, I mean I can watch all the networks if I can get online, with all the free sites out there now. I can't believe all these people think this platform is worthwhile, except for being able to use the Spectrum app and some decent channels, it seems worthless!

For the average user (99% of their base) all they want to do is watch Netflix, Amazon Prime, and maybe a handful of others.  It does all of those very well.  It's not meant as a web browser, there aren't really any set top boxes that do browsing very well anyway.

CParker

Mon Jun 03, 2019 1:33 pm

I use a Tablo and watch Live TV on my Roku... and record it on the Tablo when we want to... over the antenna. (Dropped cable TV... kept internet and phone... saved about $100 a month)
Changing channels by number is not Roku's responsibility. It's the responsibility of the app designer to give you a virtual keyboard or something from which you can choose numbers.
I agree that the spectrum TV app is not good as it takes too long to get to channels not immediately adjacent to the one you're watching. Even the ability to PAGE the guide would be better.
But again... that's on Spectrum (for example) to design it in. Not Roku.
We use Tablo and Philo on Roku primarily. And Netflix and Prime as well.
The Roku remote turns on my TV, jumps to the correct input (which cause the AVR to go to the correct input.... gotta love ARC and triggered inputs) and adjust volume. We rarely have to pick up another remote.
Chief Technology Officer, Barge Captain/mechanic/deckhand/dock hand, Cook, Lawn care and vehicle maintenance.
Yep.... I'm retired. :D

Chicken

Mon Jun 03, 2019 7:41 pm

Local content streaming should still work in case internet service is unavailable.

Tgdc

Wed Jun 12, 2019 2:24 pm

I fully understand this is may be a niche request, but the Ultra is inherently a niche device for enthusiasts. The number one thing I want is just more speed: a faster processor and more RAM so the device can hold the most used apps launched in memory and allow for relatively instantaneous switching and searching. A lot of the other asks are really not technical issues but legal rights negotiations with various IP providers, but fastness could be done just by Roku’s will and I’d buy it.

blade_005

Wed Jun 12, 2019 3:10 pm

psongman wrote:

Depends on your use case as to whether it is worthwhile. It sounds like it is not for you and continuing to use your Spectrum Cable box is best.

I am not a cable subscriber and use streaming apps (Netflix, HULU, Prime Video, PBS, etc.) for Video on Demand viewing and an Over-the-Air antenna for LIVE TV viewing. I have three (3) TCL Roku TV's that work quite well as an integrated solution and are definitely worthwhile. With an integrated Roku TV I receive an interactive Electronic Guide for Live TV viewing that will also guide you to the same content if it is available via a streaming app. The addition of an inexpensive USB drive allows for LIVE TV PAUSE feature that gives me a 90 minute buffer of Live TV to Pause, Rewind or Fast Forward. Perfect and simple for Live Sports viewing. It also provides access to thousands of streaming apps to supplement Live TV with one simple remote. And, if you have smart speakers within your ecosystem the addition of a skill for Google HOME or Roku ALEXA and you have voice control of many remote control tasks. Quite useful platform for my use case.
TCL-TV Roku 55P605 (4K HDR & DV) | VIZIO SmartCast SB3651‑E6 Soundbar
TCL-TV Roku 43S425 (4K HDR) | TCL-TV Roku 32S301 (720p)

atc98092

Wed Jun 12, 2019 3:35 pm

Tgdc wrote:
I fully understand this is may be a niche request, but the Ultra is inherently a niche device for enthusiasts.  The number one thing I want is just more speed: a faster processor and more RAM so the device can hold the most used apps launched in memory and allow for relatively instantaneous switching and searching.  A lot of the other asks are really not technical issues but legal rights negotiations with various IP providers, but fastness could be done just by Roku’s will and I’d buy it.

While I agree that a top tier Roku player would be nice for the enthusiast, a more immediate solution would be the Nvidia Shield. It doesn't have the sheer number of channels that a Roku has available, but it does have all the major ones. But something that is a step above an Ultra, specifically with Gigabit Ethernet and lossless audio TrueHD/Atmos, and DTS-MA/:X) bitstream support would be my next purchase. The Roku user interface is greatly appreciated in my household for ease of use. 
Dan
Nvidia Shield, Roku Stick (3600), Ultra (4640), Premiere (3920), Insignia 720p Roku TV, Sharp 4K Roku TV, Windows 10 Pro x64 running Serviio and Plex on a wired Gigabit network.