Your Digital Media Has Never Looked So Good

MWDXER
Topic Author

Does a Roku TV have the same access that an Roku Express have?

Fri Apr 12, 2019 7:45 pm

In an announcement from Disney, they said that the new Disney+ service will be coming on Nov 12th. The info went on to state that their first streaming device will be the Roku TV. Now does that mean, the rest of the Roku players will have the same access? I always figured, that anything Roku, you could get the same apps on them. Is there any difference between what is available on the Roku TV or like a Roku Express? Thanks.

jeffrok
** Valued Community Member **

Re: Does a Roku TV have the same access that an Roku Express have?

Fri Apr 12, 2019 7:48 pm

Yes, in general, new channels are available on all devices. In the past this wasn't true because older hardware couldn't handle the more advanced channel code, but I don't see why Disney would release a new channel only to the Roku TVs, as those aren't even the most rohust, hardware-wise.
Yeah, I got some Rokus.
https://youtu.be/d1CSEeqWl10

renojim

Fri Apr 12, 2019 7:57 pm

Did the announcement come directly from Disney? Even if it did, some people seem to think that just because there's something called an "Apple TV" any Roku is a "Roku TV".

-JT

MWDXER
Topic Author

Fri Apr 12, 2019 9:21 pm

The Roku TV comment did come from the Disney + announcement. I figured a Roku is a Roku. The access to the apps should be the same. I have two Express+ and an old LT as a backup, I never use now as it is so slow. I also have the Fire TV Box and a Chromecast. The Roku I use more than any of them. I do like the Fire TV Box in one regard as I can get live streaming from HBO, etc. Thanks for the replies.

MWDXER
Topic Author

Sat Apr 13, 2019 3:34 am

Even though I have yet to get a direct response from Roku, everything I have read says to get a Roku player rather than a Roku Smart TV as many of the apps are not available on the TV's. So Disney's statement must mean, Disney+ will be on all Roku devices. Nothing else makes any sense. Thanks again for the feedback.

jeffrok

Sat Apr 13, 2019 8:06 am

MWDXER wrote:
Even though I have yet to get a direct response from Roku, everything I have read says to get a Roku player rather than a Roku Smart TV as many of the apps are not available on the TV's. So Disney's statement must mean, Disney+ will be on all Roku devices. Nothing else makes any sense. Thanks again for the feedback.

Other than a handful of games, my Roku TV can do everything my Roku 3 can do.
Yeah, I got some Rokus.
https://youtu.be/d1CSEeqWl10

MWDXER
Topic Author

Sat Apr 13, 2019 12:57 pm

So some of the games are not available on both Roku's (TV or Roku 3)? I wonder why the difference?

DBDukes

Sat Apr 13, 2019 12:59 pm

MWDXER wrote:
So some of the games are not available on both Roku's (TV or Roku 3)? I wonder why the difference?

If a game requires a gaming remote -- remember Angry Birds? -- it won't be available on a device that doesn't support a gaming remote.
DBDukes
http://TelevisionMyWay.com
-------------------------------------------------
Roku Ultra (4660)
Roku Premiere+ (3921)
Roku Stick (model 3600)

MWDXER
Topic Author

Sat Apr 13, 2019 6:24 pm

Okay, that I understand. Some players you can add a game remote.