Your Digital Media Has Never Looked So Good

mikebdoss
** Valued Community Member **

Re: How To Easily Turn Any Roku On Or Off Without Pulling It Out Of It’s Port All The Time

Thu Jun 27, 2019 4:39 pm

DiddlyD wrote:
There is a difference between spyware monitoring my internet online activity which there are all sorts of things being sold to at least minimize those efforts verses now actually buying and installing spyware into the outlets of your home under false pretenses that will invade your privacy, family and lifestyle to gather data on your life that can be profiled in some data base connected to the internet like another facebook thing.  Then somewhere somehow this information will be compromised I promise you.   Cause one thing I know is once your information is out there it will be misused at some point as everything historically has been like in stealing identities and credit card fraud etc.  Well, that's enough said on that front, let's keep with the topic of this thread please.

Anyway, I just found this website that gives you the full break down on Roku's "Off" function.  It confirmed exactly my conclusion as well as how to solve the problem it creates of eating up your data because it doesn't have an off function.  BTW, it did mention using a surge protector as one  of the options to provide the off function, this was the method I personally chose to incorporated and I can confirm it does turn off the Roku.  When you turn the TV on, Roku boots up within seconds.  The only glitch per say I did find was I had to sign into HBOgo again, but that is worth it to control runaway data usage with Roku always being on. 
https://www.lifewire.com/turn-off-your-roku-4167636

I've had multiple Rokus plugged in, always on, running in my house for years. There's no "runaway data usage". Roku has said, and independent testers here have confirmed, no substantial data usage happens when your Roku is at the home screen. Just background stuff, updates, and ad refreshes. But none of this is substantial compared to even streaming one show or movie. 

Iona-D
Topic Author

Re: How To Easily Turn Any Roku On Or Off Without Pulling It Out Of It’s Port All The Time

Thu Jun 27, 2019 7:25 pm

mikebdoss wrote:
DiddlyD wrote:
There is a difference between spyware monitoring my internet online activity which there are all sorts of things being sold to at least minimize those efforts verses now actually buying and installing spyware into the outlets of your home under false pretenses that will invade your privacy, family and lifestyle to gather data on your life that can be profiled in some data base connected to the internet like another facebook thing.  Then somewhere somehow this information will be compromised I promise you.   Cause one thing I know is once your information is out there it will be misused at some point as everything historically has been like in stealing identities and credit card fraud etc.  Well, that's enough said on that front, let's keep with the topic of this thread please.

Anyway, I just found this website that gives you the full break down on Roku's "Off" function.  It confirmed exactly my conclusion as well as how to solve the problem it creates of eating up your data because it doesn't have an off function.  BTW, it did mention using a surge protector as one  of the options to provide the off function, this was the method I personally chose to incorporated and I can confirm it does turn off the Roku.  When you turn the TV on, Roku boots up within seconds.  The only glitch per say I did find was I had to sign into HBOgo again, but that is worth it to control runaway data usage with Roku always being on. 
https://www.lifewire.com/turn-off-your-roku-4167636

I've had multiple Rokus plugged in, always on, running in my house for years. There's no "runaway data usage". Roku has said, and independent testers here have confirmed, no substantial data usage happens when your Roku is at the home screen. Just background stuff, updates, and ad refreshes. But none of this is substantial compared to even streaming one show or movie. 
I don't think either of you are drifting off topic when it comes to questions about the devices possibly ease dropping on you.  I have had those concerns ever since I invited my first laptop into my home. 

I do believe that it's the choice of individuals about how much personal information is shared online.  I treat my past and present devices (no matter what functions they perform) the same way.  On when I am using them and Off when I'm not.  They are like an window to the outside (virtual or real) world.  People usually have some sort of covering over their windows based on personal  preferences & choices to keep some things in (privacy, safety) and other things out (prying eyes, harsh sunlight). 

Same thing with electronic devices in living spaces.   Right this minute as I write this,, all of my streaming devices are turned off (at a glance, I always know those little devices are on or off completely).  My television is one of the dumbest HMDI TV around, It is set for OTA antenna use only running as background noise, and not on any of the the 3 HMDI ports at this point in time-thus not using any data bandwidth at present.   I have a "dumb" older house where no one could trip the listening mode on any streaming, or any other type of, device unintentionally.  I keep  Alexa, Siri, Google. Mircosoft,  and the rest of those ghostly assistants out of my house as they are not welcomed here.  Once in the while, I use Roku's voice search to find something that's too complicated to type.  When I want to, not when the device dictates to me what it wants.

If I do choose to use something, I have enough sense to limit it's "run of my house" to bare minimal access.  Not just ticking off something in Settings not really assuring me if my privacy is respected or not.  Again, these little 6 dollar switches do just that for sure.

DiddlyD

Thu Jun 27, 2019 10:40 pm

Older Roku plug in had an off feature.  Newer ones don't and as long as it is receiving power (plugged into an outlet) Roku is connected to the internet and can update etc which means you are still connected to the internet and you are using data period doesn'even in the home screen.  If you fell asleep watch Game of Thrones or House of Cards Series it will gobble up data because it auto plays the next show in the series. this doesn't take a a degree to figure this out  I attached a link that confirms this.  You can ask Roku and I'm sure they will disagree but the proof is in the pudding as they say.

The only way to insure you have shut down Roku is turn the power off to it.  If you have a smart TV with Roku already pre-installed it will shut off when you switch back to the TV side and the wifi is off.  When I installed the surge protector with the feature to control power to Ruko my usage of data dramatically decreased which I could accurately assess since my data reset yesterday, so I could see exactly what i consumed yesterday.  Based on my data usage yesterday I will cut my data usage in half and not exceed my limits again. Happy Face!

DiddlyD

Thu Jun 27, 2019 10:50 pm

P.S. As I researched my Roku issues on the Web, I ran into many forums with posts from Roku owners having this exact problem seeking solutions on how to control their data problems with no off features on Roku. So I am only one of many complaining! If no one is listening, people will go  to other products that give them what their looking for as they will be a wiser consumer as a result.

jeffrok

Fri Jun 28, 2019 7:42 am

DiddlyD wrote:
P.S. As I researched my Roku issues on the Web, I ran into many forums with posts from Roku owners having this exact problem seeking solutions on how to control their data problems with no off features on Roku. So I am only one of many complaining! If no one is listening, people will go  to other products that give them what their looking for as they will be a wiser consumer as a result.

None of the major streamers out there has a power button..

By the way, I know I mentioned a "smart outlet" earlier. I didn't mention that you didn't HAVE to set it up with Google assistant or Alexa. You can just install the app on your phone and control it remotely that way, with no "invasion of privacy" factor.
Yeah, I got some Rokus.
https://youtu.be/d1CSEeqWl10

Chicken

Fri Jun 28, 2019 9:25 am

The other option is to disconnect Roku from the internet.  Roku chimps out completely when internet is disconnected, except it still happily consumes electrical power.

mikebdoss

Fri Jun 28, 2019 11:46 am

If you can turn something on with a remote control, it was never really "off". Something is running to allow it to respond to the remote. 

Did old Rokus have a power button? I don't remember that. Which one?

jeffrok

Fri Jun 28, 2019 11:48 am

mikebdoss wrote:
If you can turn something on with a remote control, it was never really "off". Something is running to allow it to respond to the remote. 

The Roku 4 did. That's the only one.
Yeah, I got some Rokus.

mikebdoss

Fri Jun 28, 2019 11:52 am

Iona-D wrote:
I don't think either of you are drifting off topic when it comes to questions about the devices possibly ease dropping on you.  I have had those concerns ever since I invited my first laptop into my home. 

I do believe that it's the choice of individuals about how much personal information is shared online.  I treat my past and present devices (no matter what functions they perform) the same way.  On when I am using them and Off when I'm not.  They are like an window to the outside (virtual or real) world.  People usually have some sort of covering over their windows based on personal  preferences & choices to keep some things in (privacy, safety) and other things out (prying eyes, harsh sunlight). 

Same thing with electronic devices in living spaces.   Right this minute as I write this,, all of my streaming devices are turned off (at a glance, I always know those little devices are on or off completely).  My television is one of the dumbest HMDI TV around, It is set for OTA antenna use only running as background noise, and not on any of the the 3 HMDI ports at this point in time-thus not using any data bandwidth at present.   I have a "dumb" older house where no one could trip the listening mode on any streaming, or any other type of, device unintentionally.  I keep  Alexa, Siri, Google. Mircosoft,  and the rest of those ghostly assistants out of my house as they are not welcomed here.  Once in the while, I use Roku's voice search to find something that's too complicated to type.  When I want to, not when the device dictates to me what it wants.

If I do choose to use something, I have enough sense to limit it's "run of my house" to bare minimal access.  Not just ticking off something in Settings not really assuring me if my privacy is respected or not.  Again, these little 6 dollar switches do just that for sure.

I hate it when people assume I don't care about or know about privacy when I do crazy things like leave my Roku plugged in. I also hate it when people imply I don't have any sense because I have some other technology like an Alexa product. Maybe - just maybe - I've researched what they do and how they work, and have come to the conclusion that naysayers are paranoid and don't understand the tech at all, yet feel like they need to tell the rest of us we're the stupid or ignorant ones. 

atc98092

Fri Jun 28, 2019 12:57 pm

jeffrok wrote:
mikebdoss wrote:

My 4 didn't have a power button that I can recall. My granddaughter is using it now, so I'd have to look at it again. But people also complained about the fan noise with a 4, and mine never made a sound. Maybe it was a 4+  :lol:
Dan
Nvidia Shield, Roku Stick (3600), Ultra (4640), Premiere (3920), Insignia 720p Roku TV, Sharp 4K Roku TV, Windows 10 Pro x64 running Serviio and Plex on a wired Gigabit network.

DiddlyD

Fri Jun 28, 2019 1:30 pm

mikebdoss wrote:
Iona-D wrote:

I hate it when people assume I don't care about or know about privacy when I do crazy things like leave my Roku plugged in. I also hate it when people imply I don't have any sense because I have some other technology like an Alexa product. Maybe - just maybe - I've researched what they do and how they work, and have come to the conclusion that naysayers are paranoid and don't understand the tech at all, yet feel like they need to tell the rest of us we're the stupid or ignorant ones. 

I think it's important to remember this is a forum which allows people the freedom to express their option and ideas and should be without being subjected to criticism or being ridiculed by others.... which I believe or in most house rules. Lets agree or disagree civilly.  Have a nice day. 

jeffrok

Sat Jun 29, 2019 4:38 am

atc98092 wrote:
jeffrok wrote:
mikebdoss wrote:

My 4 didn't have a power button that I can recall. My granddaughter is using it now, so I'd have to look at it again. But people also complained about the fan noise with a 4, and mine never made a sound. Maybe it was a 4+  :lol:

You're right- no power button on the Roku 4, but there was a menu option for "auto power off" and a manual power off option in there. I never owned a Roku 4 so my memory was a little hazy about it.
Yeah, I got some Rokus.

Iona-D
Topic Author

Sat Jun 29, 2019 12:00 pm

[size=100][color=#000000][font=-apple-system, Helvetica Neue, Roboto, Segoe UI, Helvetica, sans-serif]For mikebdoss and others who feel this way, this is not what I meant in this or any other posting I done on this forum.  I simply started a rather unscientific experiment a little over a year ago to originally cut expenses in the non-vital areas of my life without too much loss.  On of which is entertainment.  My own Roku and other streaming device did deliver the goods.  This journey went in different directions that I really did not (or could not) anticipate.  I documented and commented pretty much on my own activities.   I don’t know anyone else personally here at all.  So why should I dictate how to live your online and offline lives? That’s rather crazy, don’t you think?[/font][/color]
[/size]
I gave the original (and later) Roku sticks and box a chance to do what they were designed to do-to only to a point.  Once they crossed over my threshold, they are subject to my wishes and whims just as long as I keep it legal.  Not Roku’s or anybody’s else business.  That simply means I do what I want (legally) with them as I PURCHASED them myself.  No one else sponsored me in this endeavor.    So if I feel that privacy & data usage is best controlled by turning them off when not in use pleases me, so be it.  
Done & The End.

I merely posted my findings or experiences in some posts.  Mainly in the event someone else will probably find themselves in the same or very similar problems that I faced during the past year exploring my Roku and their usage.  Because there is no more “cable guys,” in house visiting technicians, even some cable deity like the Goddess Theta (from the old Z Channel)  to save or help us when something Roku goes wrong.  All you reading this is or might be in the same boat eventually.  Reviews and even direct help from an concerned forum member helped me.  So I pass my observations to others now.

I am still exploring some all things Roku and other streaming devices.  From time to time I might choose to post these observations as well. Nothing more.