Your Digital Media Has Never Looked So Good

theuser86

Re: Roku 2 XD... time to upgrade?

Tue May 21, 2019 6:44 pm

Chicken wrote:
theuser86 wrote:
Sorry OP - trolls gonna troll.

No, I just expect too much I guess.  I see this mentality every time I ask people who know almost nothing they try to fall back on this one.

I’m deeply saddened you’re just too intelligent to use a Roku.

For someone who knows almost nothing I’ve had my Roku devices running magnificently circa 2013.

Chicken

Tue May 21, 2019 7:12 pm

theuser86 wrote:
Chicken wrote:
theuser86 wrote:

No, I just expect too much I guess.  I see this mentality every time I ask people who know almost nothing they try to fall back on this one.

I’m deeply saddened you’re just too intelligent to use a Roku.

For someone who knows almost nothing I’ve had my Roku devices running magnificently circa 2013.

It's all the pretend experts you should concern yourself with, not many problems are resolved based on what I see.

fluke

Tue May 21, 2019 7:17 pm

Chicken wrote:
theuser86 wrote:

I'm sorry Chicken but your comment seems to simply an assertion with no details backing it.

Pretty sure I did answer his question, all he has to do is try it himself and there will be no question.

But try what exactly?  What is the buggy behavior you found, what behavior did you expect and what are the steps to recreate it?  Whenever I file a bug report with any company, I am required to provide all three of those details.  You didn't really provide any of those in this thread.  I'm not sure he can be expect to try it and see himself without question given the lack of details.  I also doubt most people would try to go through your entire forum post history to try to figure out.  So, to that extent, I would agree that you are expecting too much.

I believe there has been cases that channels had to be updated to address changes in Brightscript but the issue doesn't seem to come up that often, only impact the specific channel and usually gets fixed for the majority of mainstream channels.

There have also been indications that some customers might have gotten a lemon device or have a TV or amplifier that did not interact correctly with the Roku.  It is hard to tell what device was the blame in those situations and it is not reasonable to expect everyone will be able to recreate these one-off issues without question.
There have been a couple cases that I could sympathize with members of the Roku user community being frustrated.  However, both of the issues were more policy related than technical bugs.

One frustration is PlexRetro channel is being removed on June 3rd and some users have expressed great dissatisfaction with the replacement.  The worst part is, at least for a while, there seem to just be finger pointing between the Roku and Plex forums on who is responsible.  Ultimately, my personal belief is Plex is responsible for if they want to include a classic UI channel or not.  But based on what I read on both forums, some users were not at all please with the responses and the lack of transparency as to why exactly the change needed to happen.  As June 3rd comes up, I expect that drama may flare again.  While I can somewhat understand fans of the retro channel deciding Roku is no longer for them, I am also sad to see them go over it.

The other frustration is how purchases that included Angry Birds available for purchase on the Roku store.  I personally through this specific situation was handled poorly by Roku.  My perspective is that of largely buying my games through Valve's Steam marketplace were game companies remove a game from listing of future sales but any existing sales are final and the customer can always redownload the game.  Roku's marketplace purchases appear not to work the same as Steam's.  At some point it appears Rovio and Roku parted ways and not only could you no longer purchase the game but downloading it disappeared as well.  If a Roku support ask you to factory reset the Roku or the Roku was replaced under warranty or you upgraded the Roku, in each of those cases the game just couldn't be re-installed.  To be fair to Roku, other app marketplaces have had similar issues.  Nintendo shutdown the Wii Shop Channel which kept customers from ever downloading again their purchases.  Apple made it impossible for iphone/ipad customers to move forward with hardware upgrades and continue to use 32-bit only app purchases.  So to some extent Roku is functioning similar to majority of app marketplaces.  At the same time, the handling of it has put a chilling effect on me making additional purchases on the Roku Channel store.

Regardless, neither of these indicate that Roku is a "buggy" or really that it is even any worse than the other media player on the market.  

While I'm not trying to dismiss your feedback, it is being called out for trolling because it is currently lacking substance to work off of.  Please clarify what you mean exactly by "buggy" or what are "half the things [a customer] might expect."  You are presenting assertions as if they should be agreed upon facts which makes it impossible to have a meaningful two way conversation.

Chicken

Tue May 21, 2019 7:36 pm

Only one person actually read what I wrote apparently b/c he understood perfectly, others only read for the purpose of twisting everything around.  I've read the threads, there's similar tone in most.

"I just tried this on my Ultra. I can change the name and location using the roku app on my android phone. Maybe I am not reading carefully enough what you’re trying to do."

others only read for the purpose of twisting everything around.  I've read the threads, there's similar tone everywhere.

The Roku will not accomplish what I expected of it, I'll find something useful.

fluke

Tue May 21, 2019 8:06 pm

Chicken wrote:
Only one person actually read what I wrote apparently b/c he understood perfectly, others only read for the purpose of twisting everything around.  I've read the threads, there's similar tone in most.

"I just tried this on my Ultra. I can change the name and location using the roku app on my android phone. Maybe I am not reading carefully enough what you’re trying to do."

others only read for the purpose of twisting everything around.  I've read the threads, there's similar tone everywhere.

The Roku will not accomplish what I expected of it, I'll find something useful.

You are quoting from a different thread that someone already indicated they can *not* recreate the issue based on the details you provided so far.
I'm not trying to twist anything around.  If you have advice you think the original poster might find helpful, feel free to share it directly in this thread.  But in terms of how your expressing yourself right now, the feedback you are giving directly in this thread is incomplete.
What exactly did you expect of Roku?  What did you find to be more useful?  Why was it more useful?

theuser86

Tue May 21, 2019 8:14 pm

Thread hijacked. Out of courtesy to the OP, can a mod please move all these irrelevant posts to another thread? Or the garbage can?

fluke

Tue May 21, 2019 10:16 pm

theuser86 wrote:
Thread hijacked. Out of courtesy to the OP, can a mod please move all these irrelevant posts to another thread? Or the garbage can?

Given how circular the conversation is getting, I might agree with you.  Also, I mostly agree with your initial posts and think they are helpful.  But at this point, the way you are expressing yourself may come across as a little toxic even if you don't intend it to be.  We seem to have an user that might be going through some language barrier issues and not intending to "troll" the forum or thread.  You should be able to provide better guidance to others taking part in the thread than just rushing to judgement.  Taking someone that claims Roku refuses to listen and saying they should be put in the "garbage can" is only re-enforcing their negative view even if Roku doesn't follow through on your threat.  I forsee the end result being that he branches out to other forums.

Out of courtesy to the OP, I would like to hear from the OP.  If he has enough information to make a determination on if to stick with the 2 XD for now or if he can improve upon it with an upgrade (which I think he could), then it might be time to lock the thread and start addressing additional concerns with upgrading in a new thread.  But if the OP is willing to let other users speak their mind and try to communicate concerns then please don't put words in the OP's mouth.

In an earlier in the thread, you point out the problems with Roku reusing the same product name as a 802.11ac device with a newer device that goes back to 802.11n.  I agree with this point and is something that the OP should take into consideration.  802.11ac should be the standard now as there is little price difference between 802.11n and 802.11ac chipsets.  This not only has benefits for local streaming, but 802.11ac is designed to reducing network jitter and reliability, not just raw speed.

While I agree with your initial points and that the OP deserved to hear them, I think there may be additional points that may also be valid but from users that aren't able to articulate as well as you.  I rather read about those concerns here on Roku's on turf than encourage the conversation move to reddit or someplace else.

ronfelder

Wed May 29, 2019 11:11 am

I have in my bedroom an express and it works great. Not sluggish at all and it's naturally doing wifi. My ultra in my living room works fine too with wifi. Both are connected to the 5Ghz band. Both are the latest versions. The express replaced the slow as balls 2xs model. the only thing that 2xs does and the others can't is play angry birds which I no longer play.
Roku 2100x, (2) Roku2 3100x ,Roku 2720X .FIOS Quantum modem router, Verizon FIOS 50/50, LG HDTV 42LH90, Pioneer VSX-920 Audio/Video Multi Channel Receiver

psongman

Mon Jun 03, 2019 12:52 pm

jeffrok wrote:
Just buy a new Roku, ANY new Roku. It will be much faster than a Roku XD. A minor investment for a major improvement.

oK,  here we go again, how do you watch cable channels with Roku? I keep reading these posts, makes no sense, please explain, thanks!

atc98092

Mon Jun 03, 2019 1:45 pm

psongman wrote:
jeffrok wrote:
Just buy a new Roku, ANY new Roku. It will be much faster than a Roku XD. A minor investment for a major improvement.

oK,  here we go again, how do you watch cable channels with Roku? I keep reading these posts, makes no sense, please explain, thanks!

Depends on your cable company. Some offer an app/channel for Roku that allows you to basically use a Roku as a cable box. If they don't, then there are some cable channels that offer an app/channel that provides access to their programming, as long as you are authenticated as being on the cable company's network or by using an authenticated login. Or they offer their own Roku channel that you can subscribe to (and pay them a monthly fee). And finally there are some cable channels that can only be viewed via cable or satellite. In general, a Roku is not a cable box. It is up to the cable company or content provider to make it available via Roku. But Roku has never been advertised as a cable box. Some sellers might call it a cable replacement, and there is some truth to that. but no one should consider any Roku device as just another way to watch everything that is available via cable/satellite. 
Dan
Nvidia Shield, Roku Stick (3600), Ultra (4640), Premiere (3920), Insignia 720p Roku TV, Sharp 4K Roku TV, Windows 10 Pro x64 running Serviio and Plex on a wired Gigabit network.

fluke

Mon Jun 03, 2019 6:38 pm

psongman wrote:

Roku is designed to play video over internet protocol, not to connect directly to cable coax.

There are a couple ways to accomplish getting video streaming of the channels you subscribe to via cable:

(1) Best way to leverage your cable service is to see if the cable channels you use the most are individually available in the Roku Channel store:
https://channelstore.roku.com/browse

So, if you want HBO, try installing HBO Go from the channel store and then see if you activate the Roku channel with your cable provider account login.  If the next one you care about is ESPN, then try again with that.  And then so on.

This should get you a presentation of the videos on the channel that was created by each individual provider themselves.

(2) See if the cable provider has their own Roku channel.  The head of the FCC back around 2015, Tom Wheeler, was pushing for cable providers to provide more choice for viewing subscription instead of forcing cable box rental.  My local provider seems to have responded by adding the "Xfinity Stream Beta" to the Roku channel store.  While this does provide access to the on-demand video content which includes most of the cable channel through a single Roku channel, the layout of accessing the videos is poorly done.  The Xfinity Stream will also frequently freeze in the video and they provide no way to restart from the middle of a video.  Overall, it is easy to see why they still call it "Beta."

The current head of the FCC is no longer pushing for cable subscriber choice so I believe work to improve these alternatives to cable boxes have stagnated.  You can still try check if you local cable provider has an all in one Roku channel and see if it works for you.

Aside from the two options above, if you want to watch cable TV direct from coax on the Roku then you will need another device to convert from coax to video over IP.  SiliconDust has such a product planned called HD HomeRun Prime 6.  However, the products from them in the past depended on two technical capability to support using them: (1) support MPEG2 video codec and (2) support RTMP video streaming.  According to the PLEX forum, latest versions of Roku OS now support MPEG2 video codec.  However, Roku does not support RTMP.  If the new device from SiliconDust were to also support MPEG-DASH or HLS then it should be easy for them to also provide a Roku channel for their device.  You should try asking on their forum if this is something you really care about having.

The forum for future product discussion for SiliconDust is at:
https://forum.silicondust.com/forum/viewforum.php?f=131

tenlbham
Topic Author

Sun Jun 16, 2019 11:28 am

fluke wrote:
The Roku 2 XD had 256 MB of RAM which translates to it using older versions of the channels.  It may also be possible some newer channels are not even available to install on the 2 XD.  This device also only supports the h.264 video codec.

If you upgrade to the Streaming Stick+ (3810) or Roku Ultra (4660/4661), you should find the Netflix channel a lot more polished along with any other channels that require a Roku with 512MB or more RAM.  The wireless remote is an improvement over the infra-red remote.  The 802.11ac dual-band support is a nice to have item but usually doesn't make a noticable difference.

The biggest downside to the new line of Roku is none of them have a mini-jack directly on the Roku itself.  The Roku 2 XD can be used to repurpose an old computer monitor without speakers since old computer speakers can easily be connected to the mini-jack.  Some new Roku have a mini-jack on the remote which is nice if you want to use headphones.  However, for using external speakers with a computer monitor the remote is mostly impractical.

It would be nice if the Roku Ultra USB port could be use to add the mini-jack back.  There are USB audio adapters available for under $10 that work with Linux and ChromeOS but as far as I know none of them work with Roku OS.  I believe if Roku branded one of these adapters for use with their streaming players and sold it in the Roku accessories store they could easily get away with charging $15 per adapter.

Thanks all for the replies, sorry to take so long to respond (life gets in the way of internetting).  This is a very helpful response to my post in that I didn't know my older model only supported a few video codecs, which might explain why I can't stream a lot of videos from my Windows media server... yeah, I know I can use UMS or Plex or whatever but I was never happy with those 3rd party media server apps.  I tried to find info on the 2 XD and only came across a CNET product listing that showed only H.264, MKV, MPEG-4 as supported.  The Roku developer page shows LOTS more video (and audio) codecs supported, so I would assume that's for the latest models.  That might be reason enough for me to upgrade to avoid the hassle of going to watch a video and find that it won't play or doesn't have sound and I have to go reencode it to something supported... boo.

I do want to reiterate that I have a 2GB SD card in my 2 XD for expanded channel storage, so I would hope that's not part of the problem.  "Upgrading" to a newer model would actually be a downgrade in storage space unless I went all the way and got an Ultra.

I'm not too concerned with the AV connectivity since I only plan to use HDMI straight into the TV.

I can point out too that I use a dual-band router so I could take advantage of the Streaming Stick or Ultra's ac network connectivity, but I don't think that's a huge factor considering the TV in question is only 1080p and we don't have any 4K services or any 4K media to stream.
Charles Tenlbham
Roku 2 XD w/ 2GB SD card

atc98092

Sun Jun 16, 2019 1:46 pm

I tried to find info on the 2 XD and only came across a CNET product listing that showed only H.264, MKV, MPEG-4 as supported.  The Roku developer page shows LOTS more video (and audio) codecs supported, so I would assume that's for the latest models. 

One huge problem with the older Roku devices is that not only are they limited in container and codec support (video MP4, H264, audio ac3, aac (stereo only), container MKV, TS, MOV), but even with a supported media file it was lacking enough power to stream anything over about 12 Mbps. That's good for DVD quality, but virtually any Blu ray will exceed it. So it might play but you end up with a lot of buffering. The only other option is a server to transcode the video into a low enough bitstream it can sustain playback. Windows media streaming has extremely limited transcoding support, so servers like Plex, Emby or Serviio provide a vastly improved experience. There has really been little improvement in codec support between your player and the latest versions, mostly support for 4K (H.265) and MPEG-2 video and DTS bitstreaming over HDMI. Beyond that, your player supports every codec and container the newest boxes do. But the hardware improvement over your box cannot be overstated. The difference is huge. 
SD card issues have caused many a problem on Roku players, so when someone has a card installed the first suggestion is to remove it and see if the problem goes away. 
Dan
Nvidia Shield, Roku Stick (3600), Ultra (4640), Premiere (3920), Insignia 720p Roku TV, Sharp 4K Roku TV, Windows 10 Pro x64 running Serviio and Plex on a wired Gigabit network.