Your Digital Media Has Never Looked So Good

JA Motter
Topic Author

Problems with Roku Streaming Stick overheating

Tue May 21, 2019 4:16 am

On two of my 6 Roku Streaming Sticks I an starting to get “on-screen” notices that the Roku Streaming Stick is overheating. None of these sticks are more than 2 months old, so,I am concerned that all 6 will soon exhibit this flaw.

Roku’s tech support page (listed in the on-screen message) suggests that the RSS may be too close to some other piece of equipment that is producing heat, or that the RSS might be in too confined a space. But neither of these is true. My RSS is now connected through a 10” HDMI extension cable, so it is well away from the AV Receiver and the TV. It sits in an open space with adequate venting.

Is this a problem that many of you are also experiencing?

What is the solution? Please advise. Thank you.

atc98092

Re: Problems with Roku Streaming Stick overheating

Tue May 21, 2019 5:30 am

What model Stick? There are several and aren't all the same hardware. 
Dan
Nvidia Shield, Roku Stick (3600), Ultra (4640), Premiere (3920), Insignia 720p Roku TV, Sharp 4K Roku TV, Windows 10 Pro x64 running Serviio and Plex on a wired Gigabit network.

RokuTannerD

Tue May 21, 2019 11:01 am

@JA Motter 

Thanks for reaching out. There are a variety of factors that can cause that type of message to appear, so it's hard to say what the issue might be. 

Please feel free to send me a PM w/ your Roku account email address, the serial number of the player(s) you are experiencing the issue on, and I'll connect you with our support team directly for further assistance or additional warranty options. We'll make sure to help get you taken care of. 

Thanks! 
Tanner
Tanner D.
Roku Community Manager

Chicken

Tue May 21, 2019 1:46 pm

JA Motter wrote:
On two of my 6 Roku Streaming Sticks I an starting to get “on-screen” notices that the Roku Streaming Stick is overheating. None of these sticks are more than 2 months old, so,I am concerned that all 6 will soon exhibit this flaw.

Roku’s tech support page (listed in the on-screen message) suggests that the RSS may be too close to some other piece of equipment that is producing heat, or that the RSS might be in too confined a space. But neither of these is true. My RSS is now connected through a 10” HDMI extension cable, so it is well away from the AV Receiver and the TV. It sits in an open space with adequate venting.

I haven't experienced this yet but I see another poster here today has, so it's probably a common issue based on just this observation.  IMO, although superficially this product appears useful it's only a 1-trick pony so if you were expecting more try to get your money back if possible and go another direction.

Marinerman

Sat May 25, 2019 1:18 pm

Buy and HDMI extension. It's about 3 inches long. 

twiceover

Sat May 25, 2019 2:38 pm

Chicken wrote:
JA Motter wrote:

I haven't experienced this yet but I see another poster here today has, so it's probably a common issue based on just this observation.  IMO, although superficially this product appears useful it's only a 1-trick pony so if you were expecting more try to get your money back if possible and go another direction.

It's not.  I've been here for years.  My Streaming Stick has never overheated, even in my unconditioned garage in the summer.
Mr. Chicken is just one of those posters that didn't research what they bought and then cries about it at every chance.  

Chicken

Wed May 29, 2019 11:38 am

twiceover wrote:
Chicken wrote:
JA Motter wrote:

It's not.  I've been here for years.  My Streaming Stick has never overheated, even in my unconditioned garage in the summer.
Mr. Chicken is just one of those posters that didn't research what they bought and then cries about it at every chance.  

Point me to where the documentation says the ROKU chimps out if internet is unavailable. or the remote has to be repaired every couple days, or the RMP cannot locate network files via Samba?  I'm sure these minor issues wouldn't bother anyone wearing a house arrest leg band.

taco56

Wed May 29, 2019 12:19 pm

Chicken wrote:
twiceover wrote:
Chicken wrote:
JA Motter wrote:

Point me to where the documentation says the ROKU chimps out if internet is unavailable. or the remote has to be repaired every couple days, or the RMP cannot locate network files via Samba?  I'm sure these minor issues wouldn't bother anyone wearing a house arrest leg band.

None of that should be happening unless you're hitting it with a steel baseball bat.

twiceover

Wed May 29, 2019 12:39 pm

Chicken wrote:
twiceover wrote:
Chicken wrote:
JA Motter wrote:

I really can't tell what most of your sentence is.  "Chimps Out"?  House arrest leg band?  I'm so confused.  I'm also not affected by any of those issues you mention.

RokuTannerD

Wed May 29, 2019 1:56 pm

Hi everyone, 

I just wanted to touch base here. Let's please keep the conversation constructive. If you have separate issues to discuss, please start a new thread with appropriate details about the behavior you are observing, along with relevant device and home environment information so we can try to assist you further. 

Derogatory statements or behaviors will not be tolerated and content will be removed in accordance with Roku Forum Guidelines: https://forums.roku.com/viewtopic.php?f=66&t=38665

Thanks again,
Tanner
Tanner D.
Roku Community Manager

michelet5

Tue Jul 23, 2019 7:28 pm

is the Roku express eligible for the HDMI extender I found my serial number from the home screen a device id is on the box and rRoku itself

carguy1949

Tue Aug 06, 2019 3:41 am

I'm having a similar issue with my Streaming Stick +.  It is hot to the touch and is constantly losing connection. Is the heat normal?

RokuTannerD

Tue Aug 06, 2019 12:00 pm

@carguy1949

It's fairly normal for your device to get warm during use, but if you are seeing a message on screen mentioning overheating, there are a few things you can do to help. See more here: https://support.roku.com/article/226794787-what-should-i-do-if-the-red-light-is-on-or-i-see-a-your-device-is-overheating-warning- 

I'd recommend ordering a free HDMI extender from our website, and troubleshooting your wireless network to see if you can resolve the connection issue. See more tips for that here: https://support.roku.com/article/213122277-tips-for-improving-the-wireless-connection-to-your-roku-streaming-device

Keep us posted if there are any other questions we can help answer! 

Thanks,
Tanner
Tanner D.
Roku Community Manager

WHH808

Wed Aug 07, 2019 1:51 pm

I purchased the 3800R streaming device in March. I replaced an older generation Roku SS that I moved to TV B and it continues to work without any problems; it’s just slow. The new SS began displaying the overheating message after a few weeks. I requested and received the extender which seemed to take care of the problem. Now after a couple of months the overheating message appears about 20-25 minutes into a show, goes away and does not appear again for the remaining time30-45 minutes I watch TV. Note that I check the SS and the light on the SS remains white, never turning red. Also I unplug the Roku every night not plugging it back into the TV until the next evening. Same issue returns. Any solutions?

RokuTannerD

Wed Aug 07, 2019 3:17 pm

@WHH808

Have you tried placing the Streaming Stick in a different HDMI port on the TV? Some TVs offer HDMI ports on both the back and sides of the TV, which may help improve airflow to the unit. 

If that isn't an option or doesn't seem to resolve the issue, feel free to send me a PM with your Roku account email address and the serial number of your device from Settings>System>About. I'll follow up directly to assist you more from there! 

Thanks,
Tanner
Tanner D.
Roku Community Manager