Your Digital Media Has Never Looked So Good

Chicken
Topic Author

Roku account login

Tue May 21, 2019 1:27 pm

While logging into my online Roku account using Chrome browser, there's a "remember me" check box that appears to have no function, if I return to the web page next day, I have to log back in as if the "remember me" check box has no function.

Perhaps it wouldn't be so confusing or irritating if the "remember me" check box instead was to say "remember me for 2 hours" or whatever the criteria are, instead?

theuser86

Re: Roku account login

Tue May 21, 2019 1:40 pm

Chrome remembers that I have logged in no problem. Maybe you should uninstall Firefox and go in a different direction...

Chicken
Topic Author

Tue May 21, 2019 2:17 pm

theuser86 wrote:
Chrome remembers that I have logged in no problem. Maybe you should uninstall Firefox and go in a different direction...

Uh, pretty sure I specified I'm using Chrome.  This would be THE ONLY web site that fails to function as apparently intended, with my browser..  Or perhaps you meant to switch from Chrome to Firefox, in that case the switch wouldn't be worth the effort considering the host of other issues Roku fails to perform to my expectation.  Yes, Chrome is free while Roku is not, but you don't always get what you pay for and sometimes the best things in life are in fact, free.

RokuTannerD

Tue May 21, 2019 2:23 pm

Thanks for the note here. I'm also not able to reproduce this issue. I have a few more questions to help better understand the issue you're running into: 

- What OS platform & version are you using when you encounter this issue? 
- What specific version of Chrome do you currently have installed? Have you tried checking for available updates?
- Do you have any 3rd-party Chrome extensions enabled? Have you tried disabling/removing these to see if this resolves the issue.

With more information, we'll be able to take a closer look and see what might be occurring. 

Thanks,
Tanner
Tanner D.
Roku Community Manager

Chicken
Topic Author

Tue May 21, 2019 3:52 pm

RokuTannerD wrote:
Thanks for the note here. I'm also not able to reproduce this issue. I have a few more questions to help better understand the issue you're running into: 

- What specific version of Chrome do you currently have installed? Have you tried checking for available updates?
- Do you have any 3rd-party Chrome extensions enabled? Have you tried disabling/removing these to see if this resolves the issue.

With more information, we'll be able to take a closer look and see what might be occurring. 

Thanks,
Tanner

My OS works fine in this aspect with all other sites but if you think it's an OS issue then I'll accept that as a potential reason.  Could even be a firewall issue perhaps, which is configured to block suspicious sniffing, just I haven't experienced this issue prior at any other site, seemed odd.

CParker

Wed May 22, 2019 4:07 am

This is standard session cookie behavior. Session cookies (also known as transient cookies) are not permanent, but, as the name implies, only designed to persist as long as a session is uninterrupted.
Example:
Logging into our Verizon account I get this behavior as well. If I haven't logged in for a while, it doesn't remember me even though I can see that "remember me" box is still checked. It sets a session cookie so it will remember you only for a session. That is... it will remember your movements and selections as you move from page to page within that particular web site. Session cookies (if implemented correctly) have expiration times. And if you close the browser that session cookie is gone. It does not remember you forever. 
Chief Technology Officer, Barge Captain/mechanic/deckhand/dock hand, Cook, Lawn care and vehicle maintenance.
Yep.... I'm retired. :D

Heyitsrick

Wed May 22, 2019 4:46 am

No such issues with my Chrome, either:  74.0.3729.169   64-bit

Chicken
Topic Author

Wed May 22, 2019 6:33 am

CParker wrote:
This is standard session cookie behavior. Session cookies (also known as transient cookies) are not permanent, but, as the name implies, only designed to persist as long as a session is uninterrupted.
Example:
Logging into our Verizon account I get this behavior as well. If I haven't logged in for a while, it doesn't remember me even though I can see that "remember me" box is still checked. It sets a session cookie so it will remember you only for a session. That is... it will remember your movements and selections as you move from page to page within that particular web site. Session cookies (if implemented correctly) have expiration times. And if you close the browser that session cookie is gone. It does not remember you forever. 

CParker, That's a great suggestion, thank you.
I have to type my entire password and user name each time, no remembering.   FWIW, I noticed once on the tab the word "timeout", I'll see if I can duplicate that.
No biggie really, just doesn't seem to work as intended so I thought Roku might care.  Silly me, fat chance!

CParker

Wed May 22, 2019 6:50 am

If your browser is set to remember passwords, you should see the login information auto-filled. So then you just hit the loving button. If you switch browsers, then you’d have to set that one as well.
Chief Technology Officer, Barge Captain/mechanic/deckhand/dock hand, Cook, Lawn care and vehicle maintenance.

Chicken
Topic Author

Wed May 22, 2019 6:56 am

RokuTannerD wrote:

Thanks,
Tanner

Tanner, always the same question, canned response.  I'm running ROKU applications, there's no mention of incompatibility or version required.

Chicken
Topic Author

Wed May 22, 2019 6:58 am

CParker wrote:
If your browser is set to remember passwords, you should see the login information auto-filled. So then you just hit the loving button. If you switch browsers, then you’d have to set that one as well.

Yes, this would be normal behavior and my browser does this for all other accounts except the Roku account.  Go figure.

CParker

Wed May 22, 2019 7:15 am

Just noticed autocorrect changed “login” to “loving”... :D

Sometimes an ad blocker can mess with cookies being saved. Lots of stuff. One of my healthcare places I need to enter login and pass every time despite that “remember me” thing. And it supposedly saved the login and pass, but obviously didn’t. I just can’t be bothered to go in and see what I have set differently for that site whether intentionally or unintentionally 

Chicken
Topic Author

Wed May 22, 2019 8:47 am

CParker wrote:
Just noticed autocorrect changed “login” to “loving”... :D

Sometimes an ad blocker can mess with cookies being saved. Lots of stuff. One of my healthcare places I need to enter login and pass every time despite that “remember me” thing. And it supposedly saved the login and pass, but obviously didn’t. I just can’t be bothered to go in and see what I have set differently for that site whether intentionally or unintentionally 

Absolutely.  Just retested from an android chrome browser and the result is the same autistic login.