Your Digital Media Has Never Looked So Good

Marinerman
Topic Author

Remote Control problems - Streaming Stick +

Sat May 25, 2019 1:15 pm

I have the Roku Streaming Stick +.  Recently my remote control stops working after a few days. This is constant. I have to reset the remote. I've tried it all; replacing the batteries; unplugging the power (batteries out of the remote as advised). I get it back, but for only about 2 days, and then I do it all over again. I tried hitting the reset button on the stick, and that doesn't help. Still every couple of days, I have to do the unplug, batteries out routine. The stick is not next anything that would block reception. The router is in the same room. Strong signal. I've had it for less than a year. Any suggestions would be appreciated. 

Chicken

Re: Remote Control problems - Streaming Stick +

Sun May 26, 2019 10:34 pm

I notice similar with my stick since connecting to an interrupted power source, seems like this began or I began noticing it after switching from constant power.

markgeorg1234

Mon May 27, 2019 5:57 am

I’m having the exact problems on 2 of my enhanced remotes. One is for a streaming stick the other for a XD. The pairing just stops. It’s extremely aggravating. Any answers out there?

CParker

Mon May 27, 2019 6:25 am

Do you have the stick powered on constantly? Or is it plugged into a USB on the TV?
Chief Technology Officer, Barge Captain/mechanic/deckhand/dock hand, Cook, Lawn care and vehicle maintenance.
Yep.... I'm retired. :D

markgeorg1234

Mon May 27, 2019 11:18 am

It’s plugged into the TV all the time. But the other Roku is a stand alone unit.

CParker

Mon May 27, 2019 3:46 pm

When I first started I bought a Streaming Stick+ and found that when my TV shuts off, so does its USB port. I got tired of waiting for the Roku Stick to boot up every time we turned on the TV. But I also noticed this thing with it losing its remote. I ran a regular USB wall outlet powered to the Stick and it has never happened again. I won't claim to KNOW that's what the problem is, but it sure seems like it. So now my Rokus are all on all the time. Never unpowered. And everything seems to work reliably.
Chief Technology Officer, Barge Captain/mechanic/deckhand/dock hand, Cook, Lawn care and vehicle maintenance.

markgeorg1234

Mon May 27, 2019 8:22 pm

So my USB stick is on all the time. It’s plugged into an AC outlet so it does stay on all the time. Interesting though. Here is something though. It happens when I watch an app. on the device. I know that sounds weird but my other Roku does the same thing and it’s not a USB stick. Why isn’t anyone from Roku support responding?

Chicken

Wed May 29, 2019 11:06 pm

CParker wrote:
When I first started I bought a Streaming Stick+ and found that when my TV shuts off, so does its USB port. I got tired of waiting for the Roku Stick to boot up every time we turned on the TV. But I also noticed this thing with it losing its remote. I ran a regular USB wall outlet powered to the Stick and it has never happened again. I won't claim to KNOW that's what the problem is, but it sure seems like it. So now my Rokus are all on all the time. Never unpowered. And everything seems to work reliably.

I noticed the same.  There are sports fans in these hallowed halls claiming their remote has worked flawlessly for centuries.  I guess those must be IR remotes or perhaps even sonic type complete with tuning fork.

Marinerman
Topic Author

Fri May 31, 2019 11:02 am

CParker wrote:

Please clarify because my remote control keeps dropping connection to the stick as well. The Roku Streaming Stick already has a USB powered wall outlet. How is yours different?
Thank you. 

CParker

Fri May 31, 2019 1:56 pm

Marinerman wrote:
Please clarify because my remote control keeps dropping connection to the stick as well. The Roku Streaming Stick already has a USB powered wall outlet. How is yours different?
Thank you. 

The other thing I did was get the free HDMI extension. It's not real long but it enabled me to get the stick and it's wireless bits just a bit farther away from the TV instead of right against it.

Marinerman
Topic Author

Fri May 31, 2019 4:31 pm

CParker wrote:
Marinerman wrote:
Thank you. 

The other thing I did was get the free HDMI extension. It's not real long but it enabled me to get the stick and it's wireless bits just a bit farther away from the TV instead of right against it.

You didn't address the fact that the Roku stick is already plugged into a USB power source. How is yours different? Thanks.

markgeorg1234

Fri May 31, 2019 5:21 pm

How come you aren't addressing the fact  the USB stick staying plugged into the tv? And, by the way, it keeps happening. I used the app remote on my  iPhone to control the Roku. I went to settings and saw that my remote was paired according to the settings but it really isn't. The only way to re-pair this is to unplug the power to the usb stick, wait about 30 seconds, take batteries out of the remote, plug the power back in the USB and wait for the Roku home screen. Then re-insert the batteries in the remote and the pairing cycle begins. I want or need to know why? Why does the enhanced remote lose its pairing but the ISB thinks its paired. 

Marinerman
Topic Author

Sat Jun 01, 2019 4:18 pm

markgeorg1234 wrote:
How come you aren't addressing the fact  the USB stick staying plugged into the tv? And, by the way, it keeps happening. I used the app remote on my  iPhone to control the Roku. I went to settings and saw that my remote was paired according to the settings but it really isn't. The only way to re-pair this is to unplug the power to the usb stick, wait about 30 seconds, take batteries out of the remote, plug the power back in the USB and wait for the Roku home screen. Then re-insert the batteries in the remote and the pairing cycle begins. I want or need to know why? Why does the enhanced remote lose its pairing but the ISB thinks its paired. 

I've got an older Roku 2 in my office, and I never have remote problems with it. It has the box type receiver. I just might cut my losses and buy a box type Roku, but what a waste of money the Streaming Stick + was!!

Maggie2b

Wed Jun 05, 2019 1:21 pm

i have an older streaming stick (no HDMI port) and my remote quit working about a year ago.  i did fine with the mobile app and used that mobile remote until about a day ago.  Now my mobile app won't find my roku device.  The power light on the device blinks twice, pauses quickly then blinks twice and keeps this up.  i understand this may mean that there is a WIFI issue.  All other devices connected to my router work just great wirelessly.  seems that my router can't find my streaming stick.  the streaming stick seems to connect to my wifi network but the mobile remote can't seem to find the streaming stick.  i have tried rebooting everything, resetting the roku, using the REMOKU (from Chrome apps) and nothing seems to help.  any suggestions?

scoresman

Sat Sep 14, 2019 3:12 pm

Hello,

I searched this topic and found many threads; the original post on this one describes my issue.

Are there solutions other than changing the WiFi channels (I just did that and will post an update if that works)?

My iPhone app always works - but it isn't preferable due to the lack of volume and on/off buttons (why is that?).  Don't like to use voice.