Your Digital Media Has Never Looked So Good

choatelodge
Topic Author

USB fails to recognize USB storage device

Fri May 31, 2019 8:43 am

Hi all. I have a Roku 32" in my motorhome. I tried to plug in a 1 terabyte storage device but the TV does not acknowledge it. The USB input plays video off a thumbdrive just fine but does not seem to 'see' when the bigger device is plugged in, even after a long wait. 
I tried loading just one 1 gig movie and plugging it in but again, nothing. Is there a recognized limit on the capacity of storage device one can use with the Roku platform? Thanks.

RokuTannerD

Re: USB fails to recognize USB storage device

Fri May 31, 2019 12:01 pm

@choatelodge

You can see additional details here about supported drive and file formats:

https://support.roku.com/article/208754908-how-do-i-use-roku-media-player-to-play-my-videos-music-and-photos-

https://support.roku.com/article/230160368-why-does-my-roku-streaming-device-not-recognize-my-external-usb-drive-

I'd recommend double checking your formatting to see if that helps clear up the issue. 

Keep us posted! 

Thanks,
Tanner
Tanner D.
Roku Community Manager

choatelodge
Topic Author

Sat Jun 01, 2019 9:49 am

Some success! The storage device was indeed formatted to exFAT. I followed the directions and re formatted it to NTFS and now it recognizes the drive and lists loaded movies on the drive and plays them, just like the way it plays a 16 gig thumb drive...
Except for one wrinkle: A movie will play properly for an hour or so and then it freezes and efforts to get it to resume, result in the error message in a box:

'File Not Playable! '
*** file name***
'Network error'

Happened on two movies I tried last night.

RokuDale
Roku Engineering

Sun Jun 02, 2019 10:05 pm

How big are the files, and how big is the filesystem, all in terms of megabytes.
rokudale

Chicken

Tue Jun 04, 2019 11:56 am

FWIW, I have successfully played 5GB MP4 files from FAT-32 formatted USB Flash devices attached to my WIFI Router.  This wasn't using a ROKU (I can't get that working, might not be possible) but it was over my WIFI network using an Android app as the player.  The reason I did this was b/c the factory flash NTFS format wasn't recognized by my Router.

My point is, FAT-32 format might work for you?  I can't speak for the Roku device capabilities specifically, FAT-32 might not be an option in this case.

I've been advised here time after time the ROKU was only designed for internet streaming.

dgrace

Wed Jun 05, 2019 5:37 am

Is it "a movie" or all movies? On occasion I'll get that if there is an issue in the file.
"I might be moving to Montana soon..."
FZ

atc98092

Wed Jun 05, 2019 6:34 am

Chicken wrote:
FWIW, I have successfully played 5GB MP4 files from FAT-32 formatted USB Flash devices attached to my WIFI Router.  This wasn't using a ROKU (I can't get that working, might not be possible) but it was over my WIFI network using an Android app as the player.  The reason I did this was b/c the factory flash NTFS format wasn't recognized by my Router.

Remember that streaming from your router, or other external device on your network, is via DLNA, so file size is immaterial. I have UHD rips that are over 50 GB that play fine on my Roku 4K devices. I have issues with the bitrate exceeding the Ethernet capabilities of the Roku, but that's not related to file size.  :D
Dan
Nvidia Shield, Roku Stick (3600), Ultra (4640), Premiere (3920), Insignia 720p Roku TV, Sharp 4K Roku TV, Windows 10 Pro x64 running Serviio and Plex on a wired Gigabit network.

RokuDale
Roku Engineering

Wed Jun 05, 2019 2:49 pm

@OP are you still having problems with movie playback?
What is the version of the firmware on the TV? What are the type of movie file? mkv? mp4? And how big are these files?

Chicken

Wed Jun 19, 2019 5:23 pm

atc98092 wrote:
Chicken wrote:

Remember that streaming from your router, or other external device on your network, is via DLNA, so file size is immaterial. I have UHD rips that are over 50 GB that play fine on my Roku 4K devices. I have issues with the bitrate exceeding the Ethernet capabilities of the Roku, but that's not related to file size.  :D

I'm sure this wan't DLNA, otherwise the RMP should be able to index them?  It cannot, router storage isn't located by RMP.  I have to send the files to Roku via an android app.  This doesn't work in the case there's no ISP though, Roku seems to chimp out.  I have set up an android device as DLNA server, the RMP found it just fine and played the files without ISP, go figure?  Anyway, I'm still experimenting but get clobbered over the head when I interrupt the ISP.  Thus, I'm accustomed to being clobbered, lol.

atc98092

Wed Jun 19, 2019 5:44 pm

If your Roku is playing from a source on the network, it's either DLNA or a proprietary streaming method, i.e. Plex or Emby. If it's coming from an app on an Android device, my guess it's still DLNA. And no, I don't believe RMP can index DLNA sources. It takes whatever information the DLNA source provides, but maintains no local index or file list. The Roku just doesn't have the memory storage for something like that. Yes, it does now maintain an index for attached USB devices, but I would guess it's limited to just the titles and file structure of the USB device. There just isn't enough internal storage for anything more. 
Dan
Nvidia Shield, Roku Stick (3600), Ultra (4640), Premiere (3920), Insignia 720p Roku TV, Sharp 4K Roku TV, Windows 10 Pro x64 running Serviio and Plex on a wired Gigabit network.

RokuDale
Roku Engineering

Wed Jun 19, 2019 7:02 pm

For DLNA, RMP browses the DLNA database folder structure to locate media. It does not remember this after leaving the dlna server or exiting RMP. It needs to be read again.
For USB, RMP now caches much of the meta data, poster art, artist, genre, etc. This can exceed a couple megabytes. If your Roku has a micro-sd card inserted (usually 2G or more), it will use that, and can use many megabytes. Saving the data on micro-sd card also preserves it across a roku reboot.
For HTTP, which is only available using a playlist on a USB drive, No meta data is retrieved or saved, it uses a simple http folder browse protocol to browse the http server. Only the name of the file is captured and stored while RMP is still running.

Chicken

Thu Jun 20, 2019 4:47 pm

RokuDale wrote:
For DLNA, RMP browses the DLNA database folder structure to locate media. It does not remember this after leaving the dlna server or exiting RMP. It needs to be read again.
For USB, RMP now caches much of the meta data, poster art, artist, genre, etc. This can exceed a couple megabytes. If your Roku has a micro-sd card inserted (usually 2G or more), it will use that, and can use many megabytes. Saving the data on micro-sd card also preserves it across a roku reboot.
For HTTP, which is only available using a playlist on a USB drive, No meta data is retrieved or saved, it uses a simple http folder browse protocol to browse the http server. Only the name of the file is captured and stored while RMP is still running.

It's certainly a minefield, looks like the DVD player is here to stay.

Chicken

Sat Jun 22, 2019 6:14 am

RokuDale wrote:

Perhaps you can detail how HTTP is accomplished with Roku, where are the USB device located on the network and playlist stored?

atc98092

Sat Jun 22, 2019 12:08 pm

Chicken wrote:
RokuDale wrote:

Perhaps you can detail how HTTP is accomplished with Roku, where are the USB device located on the network and playlist stored?

Dale will correct me if I have something wrong, but to use HTTP streaming there has to be an HTTP server configured to supply the stream. That means it won't just play files that can be found on a share somewhere on your server. The playlist with the HTTP listings would be plugged into the Roku USB port and read from there. Other than that, the only network stream available within your home network would be via DLNA. 
Dan

Chicken

Sun Jun 23, 2019 12:53 pm

atc98092 wrote:
Chicken wrote:
RokuDale wrote:

Dale will correct me if I have something wrong, but to use HTTP streaming there has to be an HTTP server configured to supply the stream. That means it won't just play files that can be found on a share somewhere on your server. The playlist with the HTTP listings would be plugged into the Roku USB port and read from there. Other than that, the only network stream available within your home network would be via DLNA. 

Thanks for the explanation, and it's not my intention to take this thread off course so if I have then I apologize for lack of etiquette  FWIW, I may have made a mistake above, the 5MB file I'm able to play from FAT-32 storage across my network is an MPG file, not MP4 as I thought.  Probably unimportant, just to set the record straight.
Cheers.