Your Digital Media Has Never Looked So Good

yacheah
Topic Author

Roku 9.1.0 Build 4111-04 Update on 6 June Causing Multiple Windows Blue Screen Of Death Issues With Plex Media Server

Sun Jun 16, 2019 11:23 am

Hi

I have a Roku 3 and have been using it with the Plex app and Plex Media Server for quite a few years without issues.

However, on 6 June, my Roku updated to Roku 9.1.0 Build 4111-04. Since then, my computer has had 10 instances of unexpected shutdowns called Blue Screen Of Death (BSOD) all while streaming media through the Roku Plex app.

I had initially thought that the BSOD's may have been due to hardware or disk issues with my computer and did all the hard disk, memory and hardware tests, as well as updated all drivers. All of them reported no issues.

I then traced the problems with Blue Screen Viewer and found that they started happening on 6 June when the Roku 9.1.0 Build 4111-04 update was rolled out to my Roku 3. Since then the frequency of the BSOD's have increase whenever I am streaming media on the Roku Plex app. My computer is otherwise fine. i can leave it running for days on end without any unexpected shutdowns until I use the Roku Plex app to stream media.

I would like to request that fix the issue as I cannot have my computer damaged as a result of the update.

Chicken

Re: Roku 9.1.0 Build 4111-04 Update on 6 June Causing Multiple Windows Blue Screen Of Death Issues With Plex Media Serve

Sun Jun 16, 2019 4:08 pm

I'll just put it out there as a FWIW, without claiming anything or special knowledge of any sort but the conclusion I've come to is my hodge-podge Windows system is prone to BSOD b/c there's just not enough memory on the motherboard, the HDD swap file can become humongous at times and that's when it happens..

atc98092

Re: Roku 9.1.0 Build 4111-04 Update on 6 June Causing Multiple Windows Blue Screen Of Death Issues With Plex Media Serve

Sun Jun 16, 2019 5:44 pm

I realize the common date makes it suspicious, but for the life of me I can't think of any reason an external device could cause a Windows crash. And by external I mean not connected to the computer in any way other than a network protocol. The external device (in this case a Roku player) has no connection at all to the Windows OS. All the player does is request the Plex server to stream the media to the player. There's just no way I can fathom that there could be something in the Roku OS that causes a Windows OS failure. Now if there were a Plex server update around the same time, perhaps that could be the issue. But nothing an external device can touch can cause a BSOD. In general, the Blue Screen is caused by either a driver misbehaving or some sort of hardware problem with the motherboard or its attached components (RAM or CPU). I have Plex on two computers (Windows 7 and 10), and have Roku devices connected to both. I haven't seen a blue screen in years, and that was a RAM issue. 
If possible, try stopping Plex for a few days and access your media via Windows Media Services, or try a free DLNA server. If you no longer have Windows problems, then it seems clear it's a Plex server issue. 
Dan
Nvidia Shield, Roku Stick (3600), Ultra (4640), Premiere (3920), Insignia 720p Roku TV, Sharp 4K Roku TV, Windows 10 Pro x64 running Serviio and Plex on a wired Gigabit network.

yacheah
Topic Author

Mon Jun 17, 2019 1:10 pm

I have also noticed that the BSOD's occur with transcoding. Direct play material doesn't cause BSOD's. 

However, earlier on transcoding did not cause BSOD's either.

I am also able to transcode on the Plex web app without any BSOD's so far.
Last edited by yacheah on Tue Jun 18, 2019 12:32 am, edited 1 time in total.

jeffrok
** Valued Community Member **

Mon Jun 17, 2019 2:33 pm

Sounds like a bug in the Plex windows software, and I also can't see how a Roku update would cause that.
Yeah, I got some Rokus.
https://youtu.be/d1CSEeqWl10

yacheah
Topic Author

Fri Jun 21, 2019 4:43 am

I'd like to attach the Plex Media Server log files here so anyone can help with locating the error.

Can't seem to do that. How to?

atc98092

Fri Jun 21, 2019 5:51 am

yacheah wrote:
I'd like to attach the Plex Media Server log files here so anyone can help with locating the error.

This forum doesn't support attachments. But if you post the files on a public sharing site, you can link to it here. 
Dan
Nvidia Shield, Roku Stick (3600), Ultra (4640), Premiere (3920), Insignia 720p Roku TV, Sharp 4K Roku TV, Windows 10 Pro x64 running Serviio and Plex on a wired Gigabit network.

yacheah
Topic Author

Fri Jun 21, 2019 8:43 am

atc98092 wrote:
yacheah wrote:

This forum doesn't support attachments. But if you post the files on a public sharing site, you can link to it here. 

Thanks
Here's the link
https://www.dropbox.com/sh/yz3c2uh5greg ... 2Gzva?dl=0

speechles

Fri Jun 21, 2019 11:11 am

yacheah wrote:
atc98092 wrote:
yacheah wrote:

Thanks
Here's the link
https://www.dropbox.com/sh/yz3c2uh5greg ... 2Gzva?dl=0

But like.. why? We don't work for Plex brah. Plex works for Plex. Can't help with Plex. It's a conflict of interest. I am conflicted... lol. Plex is Plex. Roku is Roku. Cow goes moo. Owl goes hoot. Fox goes..??? What does the fox say?

I would try another media server software and see how that experience goes. There are other media server solutions besides Plex. Have you seen any?
I prefer the one with the motto "Your Media Your Way". I would suggest that one. *giggles*

atc98092

Fri Jun 21, 2019 12:16 pm

Obviously I'm partial to Serviio, and use the Roku Media Player (RMP) channel for playback. But Emby is another good one, and as mentioned there are numerous others. 
Dan

Elijah_Baley

Fri Jun 21, 2019 1:18 pm

If this were a wide spread issue at all the Plex forums would be lighting up about it brighter than Las Vegas at midnight. I have seen nothing on the Plex forums at all about any such problem.

Also Plex is the only good place to get Plex problems fixed so this really needs to be posted on their forums. They also have people that can read and understand the Plex logs and just might see what is happening.

This is not an issue that exists for many people and it must be something messed up in the setups that are having problems.

Ask Plex and maybe they can help get to the bottom of the problem.
Two Roku Ultras, three Roku 3s and a Roku 1
"Part of the secret of success in life is to eat what you like and let the food fight it out inside." Mark Twain
Van Roy's Law: An unbreakable toy is useful for breaking other toys.

RokuDale
Roku Engineering

Fri Jun 21, 2019 2:20 pm

@OP and other BLOD sufferers with Plex. Are these videos being transcoded? Does it happen if you direct play a video?
Also, if you use RMP instead of Plex Channel does it still happen with transcoded videos? This is important since plex transcodes differently when using RMP vs the Plex channel.

yacheah
Topic Author

Fri Jun 21, 2019 10:46 pm

RokuDale wrote:
@OP and other BLOD sufferers with Plex. Are these videos being transcoded? Does it happen if you direct play a video?
Also, if you use RMP instead of Plex Channel does it still happen with transcoded videos? This is important since plex transcodes differently when using RMP vs the Plex channel.

Hi

This only happens with transcode. With Direct play material there isn't an issue.

I reiterate that before the Roku June 6 update, there wasn't an issue with the same transcoded material either.

Would really appreciate your help here with this matter as Plex is pretty much the only thing I use on the Roku. It pretty much renders it useless for me.

Thanks

Elijah_Baley

Sat Jun 22, 2019 12:13 am

yacheah wrote:
RokuDale wrote:

Hi

This only happens with transcode. With Direct play material there isn't an issue.

I reiterate that before the Roku June 6 update, there wasn't an issue with the same transcoded material either.

Would really appreciate your help here with this matter as Plex is pretty much the only thing I use on the Roku. It pretty much renders it useless for me.

Thanks

This is not a Roku problem. It  is a case of the "Post hoc ergo propter hoc" fallacy.
I have no problem running Plex, or Emby for that matter, playing on my Roku and transcoding on a Windows computer. I have the very latest Roku firmware and am running Windows 10 with all the latest updates.
As I said earlier: You should really ask for help over on  the Plex forums. While Plex has notoriously hideous customer support there are numerous people over there that will be able to read and understand your server logs and that can help you find the cause of your problems.
The Roku folks here are most probably pretty clueless about Plex and the logs it produces. It is possible that something as simple as upgrading or downgrading the fmpeg that Plex is using could give you the resolution you need but it would take Plex experts to be sure and even then they might just say that you should try a given fmpeg and see if it fixes the problem.
You could also try the Plex Preview app: Add Plex preview app and see if it causes the Roku to transcode differently.
Two Roku Ultras, three Roku 3s and a Roku 1
"Part of the secret of success in life is to eat what you like and let the food fight it out inside." Mark Twain
Van Roy's Law: An unbreakable toy is useful for breaking other toys.

Heyitsrick

Sat Jun 22, 2019 6:02 am

I would be looking in the Windows Event Viewer for more information about what's going on here. Control Panel / Administrative Tools / Event Viewer.  Once in Event Viewer, look at both the System logs and the Application logs. You're looking for red circular icons with "Error" next to them. These are in timeline order, so find a time where a crash occurred by scrolling down the list of events (there are many events!). Not every error is a crash, either, but you should find the ones that matter.

A potentially faster way is downloading the FREE "Bluescreen Viewer" from Nirsoft.  http://www.nirsoft.net/utils/blue_screen_view.html

You want to be viewing the most recent "minidump" files (see the examples on the nirsoft link above).  Save screenshots of the recent .dmp files and post them in your dropbox.