Your Digital Media Has Never Looked So Good

gavspen
Topic Author

Slingplayer suddenly broken?

Sun Jun 23, 2019 9:57 am

I have been using a Roku 2710x with the slingplayer app successfully for over 3 years (despite reading here that it isn’t supposed to work with iOS 12. Go figure) but today it has suddenly broken. It’s not just that it won’t stream, it won’t even start up. I get the slingplayer splash screen for a second or two, and then it quits and goes back to the home screen.

The app is first in the list (that’s been mentioned as a possible problem) and I have deleted and reinstalled it. Still nothing. Other apps function normally. Anyone got any ideas?

Thanks,
Gavin

RokuDanny-R

Re: Slingplayer suddenly broken?

Mon Jun 24, 2019 8:56 am

Hi,

Thanks for letting us know about the behavior that you're seeing with that channel. We'd recommend reaching out to the channel provider directly to report the issue and request additional assistance. 

You can contact Slingplayer support here: http://support.slingbox.com/Contact

Thanks,
Danny
Roku Forum Moderator

gavspen
Topic Author

Sun Jul 07, 2019 7:10 am

Guess what? Slingbox thinks it’s your fault. What a surprise! You blame them, they blame you. This is, of course, what I expected. 

Obviously it’s not possible to find out what’s what without some trouble shooting steps. It would be helpful if someone at Roku would try the slingplayer app with the model I’m using, and let me know what happens. I only have one of these boxes, but I do have a Roku stick of some sort (not sure which) and the slingplayer works on it, which suggests to me that the problem is with the box, not the app. 

jeffrok
** Valued Community Member **

Sun Jul 07, 2019 10:14 am

Sorry to ask "obvious" questions, but have you tried this:

1. Remove the channel
2. Reboot the Roku
3. Add the channel again and set it up

Do all 3 steps, and see if that helps.
Yeah, I got some Rokus.
https://youtu.be/d1CSEeqWl10

gavspen
Topic Author

Sun Jul 07, 2019 2:17 pm

Hi Jeff,

No problem, ask all obvious questions, it’s easy to overlook something, but yes, I’ve done all that, more than once. 

One thing though. You say, “set it up”. There seems to be no “set up” required for the channel, is there? I just re-add it and try to open it. Is there something else?

I will say the Roku box is responding very sluggishly. I don’t remeber it being that way.

Thanks for giving this even a moment’s thought.
Gavin

gavspen
Topic Author

Sat Jul 20, 2019 11:41 am

A more knowledgeable tech at Slingbox tells me that they are no longer updating their software. (I don’t actually think it’s ever been updated since I bought the thing.) The result of that, of course, is that sooner or later their software will no longer be compatible with Roku’s latest update, which is what has happened, it would seem. It’s a known problem at Slingbox, which surprises me that it’s not a known issue here too. Danny? Anybody?

What I don’t get is that I also have a Roku 3910x and so far the Slingplayer works there. Forgot to ask Slingbox about that while I had them on the phone.

Essentially, it seems, Slingmedia is allowing the Slingbox to die a slow death, at least in conjunction with Roku. How long before the iPad software dies, I wonder?

RokuTannerD

Mon Jul 22, 2019 10:05 am

Thanks for the note here. 

If a channel provider chooses not to continue updating their channel to be compatible with the latest Roku software updates, their channel may no longer continue to function properly. You'll need to continue following up with the channel provider directly to report any issues, and request any updates or information they have to share regarding their channel on the Roku platform. 

We've passed the observations and feedback along to the channel provider. Please feel free to continue following up directly for any further updates on the status of their channel. 

Thanks,
Tanner
Tanner D.
Roku Community Manager

gavspen
Topic Author

Mon Jul 22, 2019 10:10 am

Not a whole lot of point in following up, I dont think Tanner, since they made it pretty clear that they arent updating the software. Do you know differently?

But how come the channel works on one Roku box, but not another? Does each of your gadgets have different software, updated at different times? Will the other box stop working with Slingplayer (or vice versa) soon?

Thanks.
Last edited by gavspen on Mon Jul 22, 2019 2:47 pm, edited 1 time in total.

atc98092

Mon Jul 22, 2019 2:08 pm

gavspen wrote:
 Does each of your gadgets have different software, updated at different times? 

Very possible. They roll out firmware updates gradually, and even the same model Roku could have two different firmware versions. Also, different models could have slight differences in their firmware, so that might be it as well. 
Dan
Nvidia Shield, Roku Stick (3600), Ultra (4640), Premiere (3920), Insignia 720p Roku TV, Sharp 4K Roku TV, Windows 10 Pro x64 running Serviio and Plex on a wired Gigabit network.