Your Digital Media Has Never Looked So Good

john262
Topic Author

Audio sync issue with Netflix

Sun Jun 23, 2019 7:15 pm

I have a Roku3 model 4200X. Lately I have noticed that when using the Netflix app the audio is out of sync with the video and it bothers me. I tried power cycling the Roku with no effect. I deleted and re-installed the Netflix app with no effect. I tried adjusting the audio setting on my Vizio TV with no effect. It  has a setting for adjusting audio sync and but doesn't help. I tried changing the audio mode in the Roku settings with no effect. Normally I have my TV connected to a pair of powered computer speakers. I tried disconnecting those speakers and using the TV's built in speakers but I get the same audio sync issue either way. I don't have this issue with either the Hulu or Amazon Prime apps, only with Netflix. I also don't have the issue when I watch OTA channels on this TV.

I am at wits end. Does anyone have any suggestions short of either unsubscribing from Netflix or throwing my Roku box i;n the trash? Thanks.

RokuTannerD

Re: Audio sync issue with Netflix

Mon Jun 24, 2019 9:36 am

Thanks for reaching out to let us know what you're seeing. A few questions here to help better understand what you're experiencing: 

1. When you are watching Netflix, do you have any audio mode enabled? To check this, start playing any title in Netflix. Press the * key during playback, and on the lefthand side menu, look to see if any audio mode setting is enabled. 
2. If you have any audio mode enabled, does turning this off restore audio playback to normal, in correct sync? 
3. When did you first observe the issue start occurring? 
4. Do you notice this issue during playback of content in any other channel? (YouTube, The Roku Channel, Hulu, etc.) 
5. What is an example of a specific movie or tv show in Netflix that you observed the issue occurring on? 
6. Is your Roku player plugged directly into your TV, or is it connected to an audio/video receiver or soundbar of any kind? 

With more information, we can continue looking into this to see what other suggestions we can make. Please feel free to send me a private message with your Roku account email address and serial number and I'll continue assisting you directly. 

Thanks! 
Tanner
Tanner D.
Roku Community Manager

john262
Topic Author

Mon Jun 24, 2019 3:35 pm

Tanner, I tried it both connected to a pair of powered speakers and also using the TV's built in speakers and I got the sync issue in both cases. The Roku is connected to an HDMI port on my TV. I tried connecting it to the other two HDMI ports on TV my with no effect. I just recently started noticing this problem. I don't have any audio mode enabled. I already mentioned in my OP that I don't notice this problem with other services. Two titles where I really noticed the problem were High Seas and Designated Survivor. Thanks.

RokuTannerD

Tue Jun 25, 2019 11:42 am

Thanks for the details here. I'm not able to reproduce the issue you described on that model of Roku device. What option do you currently have selected in Settings>Audio>Audio mode? Have you tried changing this to PCM stereo to see if this makes any difference? 

As a next step, try removing the Netflix channel from the home screen, then restart your device from either Settings>System>System restart or simply unplug it from power. Once the device restarts, then try adding the Netflix channel back once more. This process will ensure full removal of the channel before reinstalling, and may help clear up the issue. 

If that doesn't do the trick, we'll likely need to investigate a bit further here. Please send me a private message with your specific TV make/model, brand/model of speakers you are using, your Roku account email address, and device serial number from Settings>System>About and I'll continue assisting you directly.  

Thanks,
Tanner
Tanner D.
Roku Community Manager

jeffrok
** Valued Community Member **

Tue Jun 25, 2019 12:48 pm

john262 wrote:
I have a Roku3 model 4200X. Lately I have noticed that when using the Netflix app the audio is out of sync with the video and it bothers me. I tried power cycling the Roku with no effect. I deleted and re-installed the Netflix app with no effect. I tried adjusting the audio setting on my Vizio TV with no effect. It  has a setting for adjusting audio sync and but doesn't help. I tried changing the audio mode in the Roku settings with no effect. Normally I have my TV connected to a pair of powered computer speakers. I tried disconnecting those speakers and using the TV's built in speakers but I get the same audio sync issue either way. I don't have this issue with either the Hulu or Amazon Prime apps, only with Netflix. I also don't have the issue when I watch OTA channels on this TV.

I am at wits end. Does anyone have any suggestions short of either unsubscribing from Netflix or throwing my Roku box i;n the trash? Thanks.

One question I have is, does it happen on ALL Netflix titles or just certain ones? Sometimes Netflix puts out badly encoded videos, and it only affects those ones. I remember watching the Twilight Zone tv shows on Netflix about 5 years ago, and a few of the episodes had lip sync issues. All other episodes were fine.
Yeah, I got some Rokus.
https://youtu.be/d1CSEeqWl10