Your Digital Media Has Never Looked So Good

waynomo
Topic Author

No Dolby Digital on HBO GO and Netflix

Sun Jul 07, 2019 10:43 am

Hi,
I'm new to Roku and these forums. I don't have Dolby Digital sound with HBO GO* and Netflix. Dolby Digital does work with Vudu and Plex.
*When I use the HBO GO app on my TiVo Bolt I do have Dolby Digital sound.

Roku Ultra 4660X
Software: 9.1.0 build 4111-46
Audio Mode (Auto (Dolby Digital, DTS))
HDMI Auto Detect 

From what I've read I should have Dolby Digital on HBO GO and Netflix. I'm looking for any suggestions of how to fix this or trouble shoot this. I'm not even sure where to begin. Even pointing to other posts would be helpful. I have read a bit and I see that this was a problem on previous versions of the software prior to 9.1, but on those posts that I've read it says the problem was fixed by updating the software. 

twiceover

Re: No Dolby Digital on HBO GO and Netflix

Sun Jul 07, 2019 11:00 am

waynomo wrote:
Hi,
I'm new to Roku and these forums. I don't have Dolby Digital sound with HBO GO* and Netflix. Dolby Digital does work with Vudu and Plex.

Roku Ultra 4660X
HDMI Auto Detect 

From what I've read I should have Dolby Digital on HBO GO and Netflix. I'm looking for any suggestions of how to fix this or trouble shoot this. I'm not even sure where to begin. Even pointing to other posts would be helpful. I have read a bit and I see that this was a problem on previous versions of the software prior to 9.1, but on those posts that I've read it says the problem was fixed by updating the software. 

How is everything hooked up and what devices are involved?

waynomo
Topic Author

Sun Jul 07, 2019 1:37 pm

twiceover wrote:
waynomo wrote:
Hi,

Roku Ultra 4660X
HDMI Auto Detect 

How is everything hooked up and what devices are involved?

HDMI from the Roku to the Samsung 4 input box. SPDIF from the box to the receiver. (It doesn't go to the HDTV first)

twiceover

Sun Jul 07, 2019 5:09 pm

So Ruku Ultra -HDMI->Splitter Box-Optical-> Receiver?

Most optical does not support DD+, so that's more than likely your issue?

atc98092

Sun Jul 07, 2019 5:29 pm

As twiceover mentions, Netflix uses Dolby Digital Plus (DD+), not standard DD. Very few (if any) TVs will output DD+ from an external device over the optical out. I thought Vudu also used DD+, but perhaps it is recognizing the audio path can't support it. Try changing your Roku audio from Auto to DD/DTS and see if that makes any difference. If not, then the only way to get 5.1 audio is to connect the Roku directly to an AVR via HDMI. And the AVR has to support DD+, which many older models don't. 
Dan
Nvidia Shield, Roku Stick (3600), Ultra (4640), Premiere (3920), Insignia 720p Roku TV, Sharp 4K Roku TV, Windows 10 Pro x64 running Serviio and Plex on a wired Gigabit network.

waynomo
Topic Author

Sun Jul 07, 2019 8:41 pm

@twiceover @atc98092

The HDTV is a Samsung  UN65JS8500 purchased in March of 2016. There is no connection from the TV to the receiver. The TV has a box with 4 HDMI inputs. The box has a special cable that goes back to the TV. The box also has the SPDIF out that goes to the receiver.

The receiver has no problem with Dolby Digital when using the HBO GO and Netflix apps on my TiVo or when I use the apps installed on the TV. So the optical digital out does handle Dobly Digital. Is it possible that the apps on the TV and TiVo aren't outputting the same signal as the do on Roku? Maybe those are Dobly Digital+ and the others aren't.

I did change the audio options on the Roku and it didn't make a difference.

trekkeriii
** Valued Community Member **

Sun Jul 07, 2019 9:22 pm

waynomo wrote:
@twiceover @atc98092

The HDTV is a Samsung  UN65JS8500 purchased in March of 2016. There is no connection from the TV to the receiver. The TV has a box with 4 HDMI inputs. The box has a special cable that goes back to the TV. The box also has the SPDIF out that goes to the receiver.

The receiver has no problem with Dolby Digital when using the HBO GO and Netflix apps on my TiVo or when I use the apps installed on the TV. So the optical digital out does handle Dobly Digital. Is it possible that the apps on the TV and TiVo aren't outputting the same signal as the do on Roku? Maybe those are Dobly Digital+ and the others aren't.

Your Receiver is likely not able to decode Dolby Digital Plus. That's the issue. If you can get a hold of the older Roku Ultra Model (4640X), that would work with your setup as it has a built in Dolby Digital Plus decoder. https://www.amazon.com/Roku-Ultra-Streaming-Player-Enhanced/dp/B01M05030B
http://trekkeriii.com/Roku_PHP_list.php
Router - ASUS RT-AC68U
ISP - TWC - 50 Mbps/5 Mbps
Net+ Cert

waynomo
Topic Author

Sun Jul 07, 2019 10:31 pm

trekkeriii wrote:
Your Receiver is likely not able to decode Dolby Digital Plus. That's the issue. If you can get a hold of the older Roku Ultra Model (4640X), that would work with your setup as it has a built in Dolby Digital Plus decoder. https://www.amazon.com/Roku-Ultra-Streaming-Player-Enhanced/dp/B01M05030B

Thanks. I suspect that you're right. My AVR is an older model. I still find it strange that Dolby Digital works fine when using the apps on TiVo or the HDTV.
I guess I'm off to eBay. :)

atc98092

Mon Jul 08, 2019 3:36 pm

waynomo wrote:
@twiceover @atc98092

That box is still part of the TV, so yes your TV does connect to the AVR. My Samsung has a similar box. But yes, most likely the TV is not passing the DD+ signal back out the optical link. DD and DD+ are two different animals, and a TV or AVR that handles DD fine may not support DD+, especially if it's older. 
Dan
Nvidia Shield, Roku Stick (3600), Ultra (4640), Premiere (3920), Insignia 720p Roku TV, Sharp 4K Roku TV, Windows 10 Pro x64 running Serviio and Plex on a wired Gigabit network.

trekkeriii

Mon Jul 08, 2019 5:17 pm

waynomo wrote:
trekkeriii wrote:

Thanks. I suspect that you're right. My AVR is an older model. I still find it strange that Dolby Digital works fine when using the apps on TiVo or the HDTV.
I guess I'm off to eBay. :)

That would be because TiVo and your TV have built-in Dolby Digital+ decoders for their apps (Your TV likely does not have the decoder tied to the HDMI port, that costs extra money I think for licensing, so TV manufacturers don't include it).
Router - ASUS RT-AC68U
Net+ Cert

waynomo
Topic Author

Sun Jul 21, 2019 7:32 pm

trekkeriii wrote:
waynomo wrote:
@twiceover @atc98092

The 4640X only solved part of the problem. In addition to Vudu and Plex I now have Dobly Digital with HBO Go and Netflix. I still don't have Dobly Digital with Hulu. (I realize I didn't mention Hulu in my OP that is that app that started me looking into this. So we have made progress. I'm still puzzled by the lack of Dolby Digital with Hulu.

I also connected the SPDIF cable directly to the receiver from the back of the Roku. It didn't make a difference.

trekkeriii

Sun Jul 21, 2019 8:53 pm

waynomo wrote:
trekkeriii wrote:
waynomo wrote:
@twiceover @atc98092

The 4640X only solved part of the problem. In addition to Vudu and Plex I now have Dobly Digital with HBO Go and Netflix. I still don't have Dobly Digital with Hulu. (I realize I didn't mention Hulu in my OP that is that app that started me looking into this. So we have made progress. I'm still puzzled by the lack of Dolby Digital with Hulu.

I also connected the SPDIF cable directly to the receiver from the back of the Roku. It didn't make a difference.

That would be because Hulu doesn't support Dolby Digital on Roku, yet.

https://help.hulu.com/s/article/sound-quality?language=en_US
Router - ASUS RT-AC68U
Net+ Cert

waynomo
Topic Author

Mon Jul 22, 2019 9:07 am

trekkeriii wrote:
That would be because Hulu doesn't support Dolby Digital on Roku, yet.

https://help.hulu.com/s/article/sound-quality?language=en_US

Thanks for the info!
Weird. I thought I had Dolby Digital with Hulu with the app on my TiVo. I doubled checked and I was mistaken. Looks like I'm back to using my Chromecast Ultra.
And WTF! What is taking Hulu so long?

pradeeplrao

Thu Jul 25, 2019 7:53 pm

Hi,
I have issue with roku premiere plus not showing Dolby digital on Samsung Tv so this is causing sound distortion on Bose v25 system connected to the tv through optical cable. Can anybody help me resolve this issue?

trekkeriii

Fri Jul 26, 2019 2:06 pm

pradeeplrao wrote:
Hi,
I have issue with roku premiere plus not showing Dolby digital on Samsung Tv so this is causing sound distortion on Bose v25 system connected to the tv through optical cable. Can anybody help me resolve this issue?

You won't get Dolby Digital Plus decoding on your TV. Not possible. You need to get a Roku Ultra 4640 model as we've discussed already in this thread.
Router - ASUS RT-AC68U
Net+ Cert