Your Digital Media Has Never Looked So Good

jimh12345
Topic Author

CBS All Access

Mon Jul 08, 2019 8:10 am

Just ponied up for CBS All Access and it looks like the do not offer full episodes of CBS This Morning, just clips.   Is there any way to stream the full show shortly after it airs?

scottypie1234

Re: CBS All Access

Mon Jul 08, 2019 8:31 am

DVR function on one of the live streaming services (YouTube TV, etc.)

jimh12345
Topic Author

Mon Jul 08, 2019 8:36 am

That would require that CBS This Morning be available on YouTube TV, would it not? Plus another subscription - to YouTube TV?

fluke

Mon Jul 08, 2019 9:06 am

If the solution needs to be specifically CBS This Morning available specifically through CBS All Access, you probably need to call CBS All Access Customer service at 888-274-5343

It is silly to only provide paying customers just the clips of This Morning considering that clips are already made available for free online.

If you are only paying for CBS All Access for This Morning but not getting it, switching to YouTube TV or Playstation Vue might be the best way to accomplish that.  Both seem to carry CBS broadcast TV and have a DVR feature.

If you are willing to accept alternatives to This Morning, then I would suggest trying Newsy which doesn't require paying an additional fee and I feel provides better quality in reporting.  CBS corporate has shown they are willing to heavily dictate editorial control which I feel undermines journalist integrity.  CBS is a $20+ billion company and have their hands in a lot of things were corporate has a clear conflict of interest when it come time to decide what news gets reported and what it's down played when reported.  While I am willing to provide suggestions above that try to stay true to your initial request to watch CBS This Morning outside of when it plays live, I also really need to ask if the quality of the program is worth jumping through hoops for.

If Newsy isn't to your liking, there are plenty of other news sources on Roku we can suggest.

jimh12345
Topic Author

Mon Jul 08, 2019 11:06 am

I just complained to CBS, and will no doubt get a canned reply saying 'yes that's how it is'.   I guess "All Access" doesn't mean what we might  think. 
"CBS This Morning" is a favorite of my wife, but she also wants some other current CBS shows so we're stuck with so-called "All Access" and I probably can't justify a YouTube TV subscription at this time.

I've been a Tivo OTA guy for a long time and have only now been forced to go totally streaming with a Roku.  It's quite frustrating to be finding out how these networks and content companies are creating ever-more-complicated product 'tiers', paywalls and subscriptions.   They're making the same mistake as the cable companies: constantly trying to  squeeze more money out of the same user base.   They're riding high now but their reign will end.

fluke

Mon Jul 08, 2019 12:29 pm

It is understandable to try to stick it out with CBS All Access.  I had considered looking into Star Trek Discovery but decided that the pilot and reviews of the show do not indicate it is something that stays true to what Gene Roddenberry was trying to accomplish.  For me Star Trek was a social commentary show that help jump start discussions on resolving cultural differences even when those cultures seem "alien" to us.  It seems like that has become a more important discussion that ever.  But ST:D's being behind a paywall inhibits the size of the audience to use as a common discussion reference.  Also, based on what I have seen, The Orville does more to stay true to being a social commentary show.  So, I'm back to watching the network that killed Firefly (yes, I hold a grudge for a long time).

I also was interested in the TiVo OTA during the Series 1 and Series 2.  They seem to be a very different company today.

Tablo works with Roku and has a lifetime *account* subscription that works across all Tablo devices under the account.  The fact tivo lifetime subscriptions are locked to a single device is one reason I gave up on tivo.  The other reason is the overprice of tivo mini and lack of Roku support.  But a Tablo might get you a Tivo like experience on the Roku and let you record This Morning from OTA.

I am interested in seeing if the Tablo or the external hard drive I want goes on sale for Amazon prime day. 

jimh12345
Topic Author

Tue Jul 09, 2019 6:36 am

(Duplicate)
Last edited by jimh12345 on Tue Jul 09, 2019 6:37 am, edited 1 time in total.

jimh12345
Topic Author

Tue Jul 09, 2019 6:37 am

I agree regarding "Discovery". Sorry but it's not Trek.

I need some sort of cloud DVR service.... but I guess Roku can't provide it.

RokuTannerD

Tue Jul 09, 2019 10:52 am

Check out our blog post here for more information on other streaming channels that offer cloud DVR capabilities: https://blog.roku.com/cloud-dvrs-on-roku-devices-everything-you-need-to-know-guest-post

Feel free to reach out to any of the service providers directly to see if they offer the content you're looking for. There may be an alternate option that fits your needs. 

Some example channels: 

Hulu Live: https://channelstore.roku.com/details/2285/hulu

DirecTV NOW: https://channelstore.roku.com/details/140474/directv-now

Sling TV: https://channelstore.roku.com/details/46041/sling-tv

Playstation VUE: https://channelstore.roku.com/details/93374/playstation-vue
Tanner D.
Roku Community Manager