Your Digital Media Has Never Looked So Good

AgsMyDude
Topic Author

Can the Ultra remote control my receiver?

Mon Jul 15, 2019 11:48 am

If I run it though my Sony STRDH550 audio receiver which has HDMI in and out to the TV, can the Roku remote handle everything? Or am I still looking at needing a universal remote?

fluke

Re: Can the Ultra remote control my receiver?

Mon Jul 15, 2019 1:10 pm

Short answer is ... maybe.

Controlling the audio receiver is not a feature directly provided by the Roku Ultra remote.

However, if you can enable HDMI-CEC on both the TV and the audio receiver then maybe TV volume up and volume down from the Roku Ultra remote will be passed by the TV to the audio receiver.

If that does not work, then maybe a Logitech Harmony remote might work best.

atc98092

Mon Jul 15, 2019 4:22 pm

Like he said, maybe. Yes, the Roku remote will control the AVR volume via CEC. I have no issues controlling my Yamaha AVRs that way. However, that's about the limit of what you can do with the Roku remote. If the TV and AVR are set to different inputs (say you're watching broadcast TV), then hitting the Home button on the Roku remote will cause the TV and AVR to change to the correct inputs to show the Roku on the TV. But that's it. You can't control the TV or the AVR in any other way. I believe the latest version of the Ultra has a power button on the remote, so you should be able to turn the system off with it. But you can't change TV channels or input, nor change any setting on the AVR other than volume. The Roku remote just isn't designed for that. If you want a true single remote experience, then something from the Harmony line might work for you. 
Dan
Nvidia Shield, Roku Stick (3600), Ultra (4640), Premiere (3920), Insignia 720p Roku TV, Sharp 4K Roku TV, Windows 10 Pro x64 running Serviio and Plex on a wired Gigabit network.

fluke

Mon Jul 15, 2019 5:47 pm

As a side note, several Samsung TVs like to hide the HDMI-CEC enable option under the name of "Anynet+" so make sure to look for that if you own a Samsung TV.