Your Digital Media Has Never Looked So Good

rafedeve
Topic Author

Roku Devices in Ecuador

Mon Jul 15, 2019 8:09 pm

I live in the US but have family members in Ecuador that are looking for a streaming device to use their Netflix account.

Their TV is older and only has the A/V plugs so I was hoping to get them the Roku Express+ but Ecuador isn't listed as a supported country/region on the Roku site. Neighboring countries like Colombia and Peru are listed, so I'm concerned that if I buy the Roku Express+, they won't be able to register it and use it in Ecuador.

The only forum thread I found here was back from 2013 so I don't know how much has changed since then and I read other threads/forums that mentioned issues with activating Roku players in the UK and displaying US channels/regions. My understanding is that the IP address where the Roku account is registered locks in the region, but the device also has a region set from the factory. They would be setting it up in Ecuador, so I think that solves the first part, but the second part is more concerning.

While I have cousins who could set up a VPN, this is mainly for my Grandma and Aunt to watch Netflix (available in Ecuador) so I am looking for as much plug and play confirmation as possible.

Thank you in advance for your help!

atc98092

Re: Roku Devices in Ecuador

Tue Jul 16, 2019 5:10 am

The problem isn't if the Roku will work there. It will work anywhere. However, the big if is that some apps/channels are geo-locked to only work in specific locations. Netflix and Amazon Prime are two examples. Even if those sites offer service in Ecuador, it doesn't mean they are supported on a Roku device. Unfortunately, it's difficult to determine in advance if they work there until you try it. 
And it doesn't do any good to ask Roku themselves what apps work where, because with a couple of exceptions they don't create the apps themselves so aren't always aware which country works with which app. 
Dan
Nvidia Shield, Roku Stick (3600), Ultra (4640), Premiere (3920), Insignia 720p Roku TV, Sharp 4K Roku TV, Windows 10 Pro x64 running Serviio and Plex on a wired Gigabit network.

rafedeve
Topic Author

Tue Jul 16, 2019 7:16 pm

Thank you for the response atc98092.

I have a friend traveling there soon, and I'm asking my family there to ask around for the recommended streaming device to use Netflix in Ecuador without VPN or other qualifiers. I'm advising my parents to buy the Roku Express+ and take it there to try it out and if it doesn't work they can bring it back and we can find a use for it stateside.

I'll update this thread with answers once I get them, but it may not be until my parent's trip in September.

rafedeve
Topic Author

Tue Sep 10, 2019 1:56 pm

Reporting back: It works great! My cousin set it up, created a Roku account, added Netflix and YouTube, and my family in Ecuador is loving it. I'm sure their content is different, but their core needs are being met.