Your Digital Media Has Never Looked So Good

jrbforum
Topic Author

Volume Leveling and ARC?

Wed Jul 17, 2019 6:05 am

I have a TCL 55P605, and it recently got Roku OS 9.1.  The audio leveling features sound pretty useful.  That said, all the information I've found on how to enable it don't work for me.  The place under * > Volume Mode is set to "Off", appears disabled, and pressing the right arrow does nothing.

I'm guessing this is because I'm using ARC.  I haven't yet tried turning ARC off.

Does anyone know if this is a bug, designed behavior (that would be unfortunate), or ideas what might be going on if unrelated to ARC entirely?

blade_005

Re: Volume Leveling and ARC?

Wed Jul 17, 2019 6:52 am

jrbforum wrote:
I have a TCL 55P605, and it recently got Roku OS 9.1.  The audio leveling features sound pretty useful.  That said, all the information I've found on how to enable it don't work for me.  The place under * > Volume Mode is set to "Off", appears disabled, and pressing the right arrow does nothing.

I'm guessing this is because I'm using ARC.  I haven't yet tried turning ARC off.

Does anyone know if this is a bug, designed behavior (that would be unfortunate), or ideas what might be going on if unrelated to ARC entirely?

Don't know if this is by design or not, but same behavior for me with 55P605 paired with a Vizio 5.1 Soundbar connected via HDMI-ARC. If soundbar is ON the feature is disabled. Turn the soundbar OFF and default to TV speakers and the feature is enabled with the options of OFF, LEVELING and NIGHT. My VIzio soundbar has Audio Leveling feature, so not an issue at present.
TCL-TV Roku 55P605 (4K HDR & DV) | VIZIO SmartCast SB3651‑E6 Soundbar
TCL-TV Roku 43S425 (4K HDR) | TCL-TV Roku 32S301 (720p)

jrbforum
Topic Author

Wed Jul 17, 2019 7:59 am

Thanks for the reply, good to know.

It would be interesting to know if it would be considered a bug or not.  For those who have this functionality built into their sound bar I can see how it could appear redundant, but it would be really nice if those of us whose sound bar doesn't could still leverage this.

RokuTannerD

Wed Jul 17, 2019 9:53 am

Thanks for raising the question here!

If your TV is connected to a surround sound A/V receiver or soundbar, and the TV recognizes DD/DD+/DTS audio capabilities, this feature will be disabled. Volume Modes are only supported with stereo audio. You can see more here: https://support.roku.com/article/226802507-how-do-i-use-volume-modes-on-my-roku-streaming-device-

Thanks,
Tanner
Tanner D.
Roku Community Manager