What I do currently:
- Everything runs through AVR Yamaha receiver and out single HDMI to TV. AVR is controller for all devices. Currently have Roku 3 streaming device, cable, blu-ray player, PS4, Wii, all going into AVR and then out to TV via HDMI.
- Some devices will run through TV first, then to receiver. Some devices will run through receiver first, then to TV. Never have used ARC before.
- Considering running Blu-ray player and gaming consoles into receiver first, then out HDMI to TV. This will keep me having DTS HD Master Audio and Dolby TrueHD capabilities. As I understand, if I run these into TV first, the Roku TV cannot send these high quality audio signals over ARC to receiver and will downgrade sound. I want to avoid this. Probably connect all devices to HDMI OUT on receiver and then into TV's HDMI 1 input.
- Since new Roku TV will have 4k, I'd like to use this for Netflix and other Roku apps. So this would send audio back to receiver via ARC HDMI 3.
- I'm thinking this will get me the "best of both worlds" but I'm not 100% sure. I would just need to change inputs/scenes on Yamaha receiver depending on what I watch.