Your Digital Media Has Never Looked So Good

dastomper
Topic Author

TCL Series 4 HDR Problem

Fri Jul 19, 2019 12:28 pm

Recently my tv is having HDR issues. HDR is indicated on the tv, but the picture is extremely dark. In order for the picture to look normal I have to go out to the main menu of the tv and back to the active input. I have tried different cables and HDMI ports, but nothing seems to resolve this issue. The tv was fine until a month or so ago. Anyone have any ideas?

dastomper
Topic Author

Re: TCL Series 4 HDR Problem

Fri Jul 19, 2019 12:48 pm

This issue is across all components (Xbox one, Apple TV) and the built in Roku apps.

RokuTannerD

Fri Jul 19, 2019 2:23 pm

Thanks for reaching out to let us know what you're seeing. To help clarify the issue I have a few additional questions: 

- When you state that you have to exit to the TV's home screen, then select the HDMI input again, are you saying that the issue does not occur initially, but happens after a period of time viewing the HDMI input device? 
- During playback of content, have you tried adjusting the picture settings for HDR playback to see if this makes any difference? (press the * key on the TV remote) Many Roku TVs offer multiple picture mode and brightness settings. 
- Could you provide a couple specific examples of streaming channels & content titles that you experience the issue on, as well as an example of your setup from a connected HDMI input device where you observe the issue? 
- Are you using any A/V receiver or soundbar in your setup? 

Thanks,
Tanner
Tanner D.
Roku Community Manager

dastomper
Topic Author

Fri Jul 19, 2019 3:46 pm

When I start a HDR capable movie on either my Apple TV, Xbox one (4K Blu-ray), or the vudu and Netflix apps on the tv, the screen adjusts the resolution to 4K HDR (screen goes black for a second to adjust). The HDR symbol shows up, but it plays back extremely dark. I have to click from the input I’m currently watching on and go to the TVs home screen and back to the input playing the 4K HDR video to get it to appear correct. I do have a home theater receiver that is capable of handling the signal. Everything is connected with high speed HDMI cables. I have connected everything through the receiver and also directly to the tv and still get the same problem. I have even tried another brand of HDMI cable. The picture settings have nothing to do with this problem. It’s incredibly dark and colors are greatly muted. I have also done a factory reset on the tv as well.

RokuTannerD

Fri Jul 19, 2019 4:19 pm

Thanks for clarifying. Please send me a PM with your Roku account email address, the serial number of your TV from Settings>System>About, the specific make/model of receiver you are using, and more information about the content you watch via your connected devices (i.e. the application used on the device and a content example.) 

These details will help in further testing and investigation of the issue you're reporting. I'll follow up with you directly from there to continue looking into this. 

Thanks,
Tanner
Tanner D.
Roku Community Manager