Your Digital Media Has Never Looked So Good

JimCreek
Topic Author

Black Screen Flashes With Ultra And Samsung TV

Sun Jul 21, 2019 10:09 am

Hello, 

My Roku Ultra will flash a black screen intermittently, ~ once an hour when I stream at 1080P. If I lower the resolution to 720P the flashing stops.

When I use my Game Station or Samsung DVD player at 1080P the display is fine. Only with the Roku Ultra does my TV flash a black screen.

The last 4 months I ‘ve been using my Roku Ultra at 720P to avoid the black screen flashing. My TV has been effectively down graded to a 720P TV. 

CAN THIS BE FIXED?

TV Model Samsung UN46FH6030

Streaming service Spectrum

RokuDanny-R

Re: Black Screen Flashes With Ultra And Samsung TV

Mon Jul 22, 2019 10:11 am

Hi,

Thanks for letting us know about the issue that you are experiencing.

The issue may be related to HDCP. For more information regarding HDCP please visit our support page here: https://support.roku.com/article/208755468-what-should-i-do-if-i-see-a-hdcp-error-detected-message-or-a-purple-screen-

We recommend that you try plugging your device into another HDMI port as well as trying a different HDMI cable to see if that resolves your issue.

Also, do you see this behavior when your settings in Settings>Display type are set to Auto?

Please keep us posted.

Thanks,
Danny
Roku Forum Moderator

JimCreek
Topic Author

Tue Jul 23, 2019 8:44 am

Switching the display to “Auto” in “Settings” does not stop the intermittent flashing.

Tried switching HDMI ports, bought a new HDMI cable, nothing works. Still getting the flashing about once an hour or so.

Anyone have any more ideas?

JimCreek
Topic Author

Wed Jul 24, 2019 8:12 am

Update: I’ve given up on my 6 year old Samsung TV. 

Technology, especially HDMI and HDCP technology has moved on while my Samsung TV has become obsolete. It now serves bedroom duty at 720p.

The new replacement Vizio works without issue with the Roku Ultra. The 2160p picture is magnificent.

Bottom Line, it was the 6 year old Samsung that seems to be the problem, likely the obsolete HDMI HDCP technology the cause.

Over and out.