Your Digital Media Has Never Looked So Good

Atreties
Topic Author

Roku TV - No Option/Setting to Use Optical Audio?

Mon Jul 22, 2019 9:52 am

Trying to get my Roku TV (50S425) to work with my Yamaha AVR. Only option on the receiver is optical, no HDMI port exists. Nothing will get the sound to actually play thru the AVR speakers.

Both devices turned on

Cable works, can see red light

Receiver is set to the correct input setting

Receiver and speaker does actually work, have confirmed using Bluetooth 

SPDIF/ARC setting set to Dolby Digital (tried all of these settings, none worked)

TV speakers set to off

No idea what else to try. I see no setting anywhere to actually select optical audio on the TV - in selecting TV speakers to Off, I see no other speakers to select, so I'm guessing that's the issue somehow. In researching this, I've seen many reports of people getting the optical audio to work, but no one describes how they actually got this accomplished.
Last edited by Atreties on Mon Jul 22, 2019 10:28 am, edited 1 time in total.

jeffrok
** Valued Community Member **

Re: Roku TV - No Option/Setting to Use Optical Audio?

Mon Jul 22, 2019 10:23 am

I know that I'm my AVR, if you have audio coming into the optical input and the video coming into an HDMI port, you need to tell the AVR where to pull the audio from in that HDMI port's setting..See if you can find that setting and change it.
Yeah, I got some Rokus.
https://youtu.be/d1CSEeqWl10

Atreties
Topic Author

Mon Jul 22, 2019 10:28 am

jeffrok wrote:
I know that I'm my AVR, if you have audio coming into the optical input and the video coming into an HDMI port, you need to tell the AVR where to pull the audio from in that HDMI port's setting..See if you can find that setting and change it.

This is for optical audio. No HDMI is involved. No HDMI is plugged into the AVR. No HDMI port even exists for the AVR.

jeffrok

Mon Jul 22, 2019 10:53 am

Hmm, what is the model of the AVR?

Remember that the Roku doesn't support Dolby Digital, only Dolby Digital Plus, and DD+ can only be passed thru HDMI. Make sure your Roku is set to stereo/PCM (sorry, I don't have the exact setting in front of me as I'm at work) not DD+, because I'm guessing if your AVR has not HDMI that it doesn't support DD+.
Yeah, I got some Rokus.

Atreties
Topic Author

Mon Jul 22, 2019 12:33 pm

jeffrok wrote:
Hmm, what is the model of the AVR?

Remember that the Roku doesn't support Dolby Digital, only Dolby Digital Plus, and DD+ can only be passed thru HDMI. Make sure your Roku is set to stereo/PCM (sorry, I don't have the exact setting in front of me as I'm at work) not DD+, because I'm guessing if your AVR has not HDMI that it doesn't support DD+.

Yamaha RX-V361. Again, tried all of the DD settings. I have it set at basic DD (not +) atm, but PCM Stereo also does not work.

The base question remains, tho. Is there no setting to actually select optical audio? Every video tutorial on this that i've seen indicates to find where to change from TV speakers to a variety of options of external audio, with optical being one of them. I see none of that with the Roku TV.

renojim

Mon Jul 22, 2019 1:03 pm

Have you ever used an optical connection before? I ask because I know the first time I connected something using an optical cable I got nothing and it turned out I wasn't inserting the cable far enough. I believe it's normal for the optical output to always be active on any TV. Does the optical output port on the TV glow red? If so, with the cable inserted into the TV does the opposite end glow red?

-JT

Atreties
Topic Author

Mon Jul 22, 2019 1:30 pm

I appreciate the attempts to assist guys, but please read the OP:

Cable works, can see red light

That said, no, I have not used an optical cable before. If It needs to go in any further, I don't see how it could go anymore. It seems to be as deep as it can go on both sides.

Elijah_Baley

Mon Jul 22, 2019 1:35 pm

I assume you are connecting an optical port on the TV to an optical port on the receiver. Are you sure the port on the TV is an output port? It may be an input for other devices that are connected to the TV.

I have never had a Roku TV so I do not know what outputs are available in general but I do know that I have had a TV with an optical input but no optical output.

Another thing to check is, if it is an output, it may need to be turned on. That kind of thing is often found in the advanced settings. You can tell if the port is at least basically functional by looking at the port, there may be a cap on the port that you need to press aside, while the TV is active. It should emit a low red glow. Optical operates in the visible spectrum so you can see it in basic operation.

The cable should click into place when inserted correctly.

One final thing many optical cables ship with protective caps on the ends. Be sure yours does not have such when you try to use them.
Two Roku Ultras, three Roku 3s and a Roku 1
"Part of the secret of success in life is to eat what you like and let the food fight it out inside." Mark Twain
Van Roy's Law: An unbreakable toy is useful for breaking other toys.

Atreties
Topic Author

Mon Jul 22, 2019 1:41 pm

Optical output from TV into the optical input on the AVR, yes.

Red light glowing from TV optical output, yes.

Once plugged in to the TV, the other end of the cable glows red.

I appreciate mentioning the possibility of a cap, that seems to be a common issue that's infrequently answered for other people, having gone thru many threads while researching this... that said -  no, the cap is not on.

Cable clicks into place on both the TV and the AVR, yes.

Elijah_Baley

Mon Jul 22, 2019 1:49 pm

Atreties wrote:
Optical output from TV into the optical input on the AVR, yes.

Red light glowing from TV optical output, yes.

Once plugged in to the TV, the other end of the cable glows red.

I appreciate mentioning the possibility of a cap, that seems to be a common issue that's infrequently answered for other people, having gone thru many threads while researching this... that said -  no, the cap is not on.

Cable clicks into place on both the TV and the AVR, yes.

Are you sure the optical on the TV is an output? Optical ports should glow red no matter if they are input or output. That also means that the input on your receiver should be glowing. Also to restate: check the TV menus to be sure that the optical port is turned on. That type of setting is often in advanced or kind of hidden in unlikely places in the menu structure.
Two Roku Ultras, three Roku 3s and a Roku 1
"Part of the secret of success in life is to eat what you like and let the food fight it out inside." Mark Twain
Van Roy's Law: An unbreakable toy is useful for breaking other toys.

jeffrok

Mon Jul 22, 2019 2:52 pm

The Roku TV has an optical output, not input. I believe all Roku TV's are like this. I use my TCL Roku TV outputting via optical to a sound bar.
Yeah, I got some Rokus.

gadrago

Mon Jul 22, 2019 3:11 pm

Kinda tongue in cheek, but there's nothing much in optical audio instructions because there's nothing much to do to make it work.  In TCL settings, whether TV speakers are set to on or off makes no difference since TV is always outputting a signal from its optical output port.  Things to recheck are optical cable connections and receiver settings.  If the optical cable is connected correctly at both ends and the correct receiver input is selected, it usually just works.  Optical cables are keyed so that they are only inserted correctly in one of the four 90-degree directions of rotation,  even though it seems like it is connected correctly at  the TV end if you can see light coming through at the unconnected receiver end of the optical cable.  But it's worth a recheck at both ends if you have never used an optical cable before.

Your receiver has two optical inputs.  If you have not changed the default input assignments, they are DTV/CBL and CD.  Assuming you have connected the optical cable to DTV/CBL and selected that as the receiver input, did you also try connecting the optical cable to the CD input and selecting that receiver input to see if one of the receiver optical inputs is defective?  Only other thing I see in your receiver is to check that the Audio Select setting for the DTV/CBL and CD inputs is set to AUTO not ANALOG. If set to ANALOG instead of AUTO you wouldn't get sound from a digital source.  Also I suppose you could check that the DTV/CBL and CD inputs have not had any receiver audio input reassignments from the defaults (wherein the two optical input ports are mapped to those two inputs), although I don't see why that would have occurred without your knowledge.  If the optical ports had been remapped from their default DTV/CBL or CD input assignments, that would explain why you are not getting any sound when selecting those inputs.

I have Panasonic and TCL televisions, and have connected two different Yamaha and two different Sony receivers to them via optical connections over the years with no problems, before HDMI/ARC came along.

Atreties
Topic Author

Mon Jul 22, 2019 3:38 pm

gadrago, thank you for taking the time for the detailed reply, and even with the research on my receiver, to boot!

I will try everything again when I get home, but yes, I did connect it to the DTV/CBL port, and selected that as the input. I also tried the CD input with the CD port. Also tried the ports with the opposite inputs. Nothing produced any sound whatsoever. Made sure to have the volume up quite loud, with a video playing the entire time to make sure i'd detect any sound. 

Also, yes, the audio select setting is on Auto, not analog.

My best guess of the cause at this point is in the cable, so I've ordered a new one. I don't see how it could be the cable given that I can see the red light on the opposite end of the cable once one end is plugged into the TV output, but I figure it's worth trying. Maybe it's damaged instead of fully broken... But from what I've read, that would lead to messed up/intermittent audio, not no audio at all.

twiceover

Mon Jul 22, 2019 6:15 pm

Atreties wrote:
gadrago, thank you for taking the time for the detailed reply, and even with the research on my receiver, to boot!

I will try everything again when I get home, but yes, I did connect it to the DTV/CBL port, and selected that as the input. I also tried the CD input with the CD port. Also tried the ports with the opposite inputs. Nothing produced any sound whatsoever. Made sure to have the volume up quite loud, with a video playing the entire time to make sure i'd detect any sound. 

Also, yes, the audio select setting is on Auto, not analog.

My best guess of the cause at this point is in the cable, so I've ordered a new one. I don't see how it could be the cable given that I can see the red light on the opposite end of the cable once one end is plugged into the TV output, but I figure it's worth trying. Maybe it's damaged instead of fully broken... But from what I've read, that would lead to messed up/intermittent audio, not no audio at all.

Note that Auto Detect does not work with Optical.  At least that is what the Roku Engineers told me when I first used optical.  You need to set the audio to what your receiver can decode, more than likely stereo or DD/DD DTS.  I do not believe DD+ works over optical on a Roku TV.  You would hear nothing if you send DD+ over optical.

apodtele

Tue Jul 23, 2019 6:41 am

I found Yamaha RX-V361 manual. Please make sure you follow pages 58 and 29.