Your Digital Media Has Never Looked So Good

HisSvt2
Topic Author

TCL 55P605 since Roku 9.1 HDR dark

Thu Aug 01, 2019 12:03 am

Since this update HDR doesn’t display properly. It’s super dark like it’s dimmed in my Xbox one x had to turn it off. 4k Blu-ray player does same thing but switching back and forth input sometimes triggers proper display. All my app that have DV or HDR work fine. PS4 Pro switching input back and worth can get it to work sometimes.

Did a complete factory reset and that didn’t help checked cable and bypassed receiver and same results tried different cable etc.

Everything was fine before Roku 9.1! Need some help if possible to fix this issue.

Thanks

RokuTannerD

Re: TCL 55P605 since Roku 9.1 HDR dark

Thu Aug 01, 2019 8:50 am

Hi there, 

Thanks for the note here. Have you tried replacing the HDMI cable you are using with a new HDCP 2.2 certified high-speed/premium cable? Have you tried using different HDMI ports on the TV? 

If those steps aren't resolving the issue, please send me a PM with your Roku account email address and the serial number of your TV from Settings>System>About. Please also include a detailed description of when you see the issue occur, the steps you take to initiate playback on the HDMI input device (Xbox, etc.), along with the app or media source from that device and an example content title. 

From there, we can help take a closer look to see what may be occurring, and make additional recommendations. 

Thanks,
Tanner
Tanner D.
Roku Community Manager

HisSvt2
Topic Author

Mon Aug 05, 2019 3:26 pm

PM’d back with full description of issue. And what I’ve done to try and resolve it.

Apps hdr works fine

Switched inputs no change
Bypass receiver no change

Lg 4k player Xbox one x PS4 Pro all the same result

Switching inputs back and forth can sometimes trigger proper HDR

Fully reset tv tried all variety of connection and cables ever since Roku OS 9.1 it has been iffy.

blade_005

Mon Aug 05, 2019 3:46 pm

HisSvt2 wrote:
Since this update HDR doesn’t display properly. It’s super dark like it’s dimmed in my Xbox one x had to turn it off. 4k Blu-ray player does same thing but switching back and forth input sometimes triggers proper display. All my app that have DV or HDR work fine. PS4 Pro switching input back and worth can get it to work sometimes.

Did a complete factory reset and that didn’t help checked cable and bypassed receiver and same results tried different cable etc.

Everything was fine before Roku 9.1! Need some help if possible to fix this issue.

Thanks

After Factory Reset did you set your HDMI inputs to 2.0 from the default of AUTO? I only use internal Roku apps and don't have the HDR or Dolby VIsion issues of darkness that you describe.
TCL-TV Roku 55P605 (4K HDR & DV) | VIZIO SmartCast SB3651‑E6 Soundbar
TCL-TV Roku 43S425 (4K HDR) | TCL-TV Roku 32S301 (720p)

HisSvt2
Topic Author

Mon Aug 05, 2019 3:51 pm

blade_005 wrote:
HisSvt2 wrote:

Thanks

After Factory Reset did you set your HDMI inputs to 2.0 from the default of AUTO? I only use internal Roku apps and don't have the HDR or Dolby VIsion issues of darkness that you describe.

Yeah all my inputs are set to 2.0 my apps all work right as well it’s the other devices that use HDR that since 9.1 don’t engage HDR properly. I can get them to engage properly sometimes by switch inputs back and forth.

I’ve done eve possible thing and I work with Av and pc equipment for a living so I fully know what I’m doing. It’s definitely a software glitch if some kind since Roku 9.1

Ramzazero2

Fri Aug 09, 2019 5:44 am

I am having this exact same issue. I am on a TCL 55S405 Roku TV, and the problem emerged on A few weeks ago in the day my TV received the OS 9.1 update. Up until that day, Hdr worked perfectly. Got home that evening, booted up my Xbox One X, and suddenly all games with Hdr would start up dim, up to and including the system menus.
Tried it on several games and the Xbox Netflix app, and Hdr was messed up across the board. The tv's internal apps will run Hdr just fine. I've rebooted and reset everything, swapped hdmi cords, you name it,and the issue persist. Incidentally, the issue is also being reported on the Xbox Insider subreddit, so it's an issue for a few people.
I want to be generous about this, but the issue is very obviously is the most recent update.

HisSvt2
Topic Author

Fri Aug 09, 2019 7:15 am

And it isn’t just Xbox my PS4 Pro my lg 4k Blu-ray player any external device that uses HDR. Roku and TCL have been in contact with me and TCL insists it will be fixed in next update and Roku support has been asking me tons of detailed questions about this through private messages.

RokuTannerD

Fri Aug 09, 2019 9:30 am

@Ramzazero2

Thanks for reaching out to let us know what you're seeing. Please feel free to PM with your details, including your Roku account email address, the serial number of your TV from Settings>System>About, and more information about the specific HDR app/content/game you are playing from your Xbox. I'll follow up with you directly to gather any additional information our team may need as we investigate. 

Thanks,
Tanner
Tanner D.
Roku Community Manager

HisSvt2
Topic Author

Fri Aug 09, 2019 7:30 pm

So Roku team pushed me a rollback to 9.0 from 9.1 it’s a slight improvement as if HDR triggers dark on Xbox one x I can go to Xbox home screen then back and it triggers properly with 9.1 that wouldn’t work. I told them the last 8x Roku release was the last time the trigger for hdr was flawless it’s been iffy since 9.0 but can be triggered but 9.1 was just flat broken on any external device. Here’s hoping we get it figured out totally.

plutonashfan

Mon Aug 12, 2019 7:52 pm

Oh snap SHARP owner here with the same problem, this with my other ongoing audio issues is sooo brutal. Thought is was maybe a Sony PS4 firmware thing as I don't get to play often, but it happened it on two different android boxes that were working perfectly fine, so that's out question. I don't know what's would have been worst if it was a hardware issue. Un-mounting it, unplugging dozens of cords, packing it up and having to driving to Fed-Ex and praying Hisense QC is up snuff to replace the ports correctly without damaging something else. Or hoping that Roku can actually properly fix a software problem in some timely manner when it's been over 2 years for the multi-audio-surround sound issue. It's like choosing between getting hit in the eye-socket or a kick to the groin. I'm reluctant to even post this but I found a couple of temporary fixes, as I feel like it will give "them" more incentive not to do anything, but why should other people suffer. I have a Sharp LC-65Q73+ TV on Build 9.1 by way, so it's not TCL consumers getting the shaft. All built in apps and USB port don't have any issue with HDR.
Temp Fixes:

1.Hitting the home button/main menu on the remote and then going back to the source/device.
2.Turning the TV on/off, just make sure you turn CEC or whatever it's called off on both the TV and device as this just put my PS4 to stand-by. Also Disable Fast TV start
3. Unplugging the HDMI plug and quickly plugging it back.

The HDR logo should pop-back up and if you press enter on the remote it's should show whatever resolution your in and HDR10. The only thing that sucks about this if you going go to the Dashboard on the PS4 or some title screen/file explorer that SDR you have to do one of these again or it super DARK again.
Tanner or if some other community manager is reading this I already did all the trouble shooting while trying to fix my other audio issue, used 7 different HDMI cables, moving to different ports, System restart, and a factory reset. Made sure HDR was set to Normal or High none of it worked, fiddled with HDMI setting. Just fire up COD or Red Dead Redemption 2 or any HDR game  and after the initial loading screen and the "switch" happens you should be able to see or actually not see what we are talking about. I can not type out how disappointed I am with this company as ever patch just makes something worst and I'm a very patient man. Please fix this ASAP or better yet acknowledge the problem!

ramrodTM

Thu Aug 15, 2019 3:53 pm

I’m having the exact problem. Seems like 9.1 update caused the issue.

HisSvt2
Topic Author

Thu Aug 15, 2019 3:56 pm

ramrodTM wrote:
I’m having the exact problem. Seems like 9.1 update caused the issue.

Yeah 9.1 HDR is just hosed but they rolled me back to 9.0 and it’s usable but still not perfect like it was in the 8.x Roku OS.

RokuTannerD

Thu Aug 15, 2019 4:24 pm

@ramrodTM

Thanks for letting us know. The team is currently investigating the issue. Please feel free to send me a PM with your Roku account email address, and the serial number of your Roku TV from Settings>System> About. I'll follow up with you directly to gather more information and assist you further. 

Cheers,
Tanner
Tanner D.
Roku Community Manager