Your Digital Media Has Never Looked So Good

 
WhoopWhoop
Topic Author
Posts: 1
Joined: Thu Aug 01, 2019 5:48 pm

YouTube Alternative for Roku 2 XS

Thu Aug 01, 2019 6:01 pm

Everything about the Roku is slow, from scrolling through the home menu to finding a show on Netflix, although once the show loads it works perfectly fine. YouTube though, even getting to the point of loading the first 3 seconds in SD quality takes several minutes, not even considering if the entire video will play all the way through. I heard apps like MyVideoBuzz would be a good alternative if it was still alive.

As for the Roku's sluggishness the only thing I tried was removing the menu sounds and screensaver which did help out a bit but nothing spectacular. Might try deleting apps and doing a factory reset later.

Any tips or recommendations would be highly appreciated! The Roku still works and runs in 1080p which is good enough for me, so I see no reason in dumping it and getting a new one if it is a secondary device.
 
User avatar
jeffrok
** Valued Community Member **
Posts: 5523
Joined: Sun Nov 30, 2008 4:51 pm
Location: Milwaukee, WI
Contact:

Re: YouTube Alternative for Roku 2 XS

Thu Aug 01, 2019 6:14 pm

Just get a new or used told stick. You can get YouTube at much less of a hassle than finding an alternative. You can probably find one on eBay for less than $25.

If you're not willing to send a little to upgrade, I have no other suggestions.
Yeah, I got some Rokus.
https://youtu.be/d1CSEeqWl10
 
trekkeriii
** Valued Community Member **
Posts: 2590
Joined: Wed Dec 12, 2012 4:10 am

Re: YouTube Alternative for Roku 2 XS

Thu Aug 01, 2019 7:14 pm

FYI, Google does not allow for alternative apps on Roku. So, if the performance is poor for you, get a new Roku.
http://trekkeriii.com/Roku_PHP_list.php
Router - ASUS RT-AC68U
ISP - TWC - 50 Mbps/5 Mbps
Net+ Cert
 
Emissary35
Posts: 231
Joined: Mon May 06, 2013 1:01 am

Re: YouTube Alternative for Roku 2 XS

Thu Aug 01, 2019 8:39 pm

jeffrok wrote:
Just get a new or used told stick. You can get YouTube at much less of a hassle than finding an alternative. You can probably find one on eBay for less than $25.

If you're not willing to send a little to upgrade, I have no other suggestions.

That's exactly what Roku wants. Go out and buy a new Roku and give them more money! It's absolutely pathetic how sluggish the older models are because of the software updates that are forced. These older Rokus are perfectly capable of streaming videos but they can't run the bloated apps and firmware that is forced now. There should be a way to use older versions of these apps to keep the older models running even if those apps look primitive by today's standards. And MyVideoBuzz worked perfectly as a youtube alternative, was quick and easy and very fast on the older units until Roku killed in last July. My advice is if you are upset with the forced updates that make your perfectly good older models almost useless today then don't buy any more Roku products, that is the way I am leaning since I have two Roku HD 2500x models and they are so slow now it's a major chore to watch anything. The only saving grace is that it still runs the older Netflix primitive app without all the built in annoyances on the modern app.
 
User avatar
atc98092
Posts: 3890
Joined: Tue Dec 31, 2013 5:09 pm
Location: Auburn, WA

Re: YouTube Alternative for Roku 2 XS

Fri Aug 02, 2019 6:40 am

The 2 XS is terrible for YouTube, I agree. I haven't used my 2 XS in years for that reason. And even for streaming my local media, the 2 XS was woefully inadequate. It has a bitrate limit of about 15 Mbps, which isn't high enough for even 1080 video, let alone 4K. That player is a 2nd generation box that was released in June 2011. For technology, that's ancient. Frankly, it's time for an upgrade. For under $40, there are many choices available. Roku has the Express and Premiere, Amazon has the Fire TV, and there are tons of generic Android players available online, although you have to ensure that YouTube is available on them. It's time to retire the 2 XS.
Dan
Nvidia Shield, Roku Stick (3600), Ultra (4640), Premiere (3920), Insignia 720p Roku TV, Sharp 4K Roku TV, Windows 10 Pro x64 running Serviio and Plex on a wired Gigabit network.
 
37mediagroup
Posts: 213
Joined: Sat Jul 27, 2013 12:32 pm
Contact:

Re: YouTube Alternative for Roku 2 XS

Fri Aug 02, 2019 6:51 am

2011?? Gosh, imagine trying to use a 1981 PC in 1989, or 1991 in 1999, or 2001 in 2009. Technology ages fast. Even a 2011iPhone is probably worthless in usage today. PC's have caught up, and a 2011 PC is likely still workable (within reason, Excel, Word etc), but streaming TV is still in its infancy & it should be somewhat understandable an 8 year old product has become outdated. They're $30 bucks too, we're not talking about a $600 computer + monitor or several hundred dollar cellphone.

I had an early Roku from about 2010, my TV was on its way out so in about 2016 I purchased a Roku TV. I moved the box to my bedroom & quickly realized how old it was so I purchased a new box too & haven't looked back.
 
ronfelder
Posts: 507
Joined: Sat May 15, 2010 1:43 pm
Location: new jersey
Contact:

Re: YouTube Alternative for Roku 2 XS

Fri Aug 02, 2019 8:01 pm

Emissary35 wrote:
jeffrok wrote:
Just get a new or used told stick. You can get YouTube at much less of a hassle than finding an alternative. You can probably find one on eBay for less than $25.

If you're not willing to send a little to upgrade, I have no other suggestions.

That's exactly what Roku wants. Go out and buy a new Roku and give them more money! It's absolutely pathetic how sluggish the older models are because of the software updates that are forced. These older Rokus are perfectly capable of streaming videos but they can't run the bloated apps and firmware that is forced now. There should be a way to use older versions of these apps to keep the older models running even if those apps look primitive by today's standards. And MyVideoBuzz worked perfectly as a youtube alternative, was quick and easy and very fast on the older units until Roku killed in last July. My advice is if you are upset with the forced updates that make your perfectly good older models almost useless today then don't buy any more Roku products, that is the way I am leaning since I have two Roku HD 2500x models and they are so slow now it's a major chore to watch anything. The only saving grace is that it still runs the older Netflix primitive app without all the built in annoyances on the modern app.

You do realize that the same thing happens with computers. Try running a program designed today on a 286 running DOS 2.0. It just doesn't work. The newer channels that you call bloated are designed to offer more features. Ex. Netflix allows multiple logins. Something that can't be done on a Roku built n 2011. Also Netflix shows a preview of what you might want to watch as sort of an advertisement. flower a 2011 Roku didn't run you tuber properly back in 2011. . It always hung up< Not until the newer boxes did you tube work properly. So stop bitching and realize that your 1929 Packard isn't as safe or functional as that new 2019 Chevy in your neighbor's garage.
Roku 2100x, (2) Roku2 3100x ,Roku 2720X .FIOS Quantum modem router, Verizon FIOS 50/50, LG HDTV 42LH90, Pioneer VSX-920 Audio/Video Multi Channel Receiver
 
User avatar
DubTaylor
Posts: 425
Joined: Wed Jul 22, 2015 6:27 pm
Location: W[By God]V

Re: YouTube Alternative for Roku 2 XS

Fri Aug 02, 2019 11:25 pm

Also Netflix shows a preview of what you might want to watch as sort of an advertisement.

News Flash:
That's not 'sort of' an advertisement.
That's absolutely an advertisement - with no way to disable that, or shrinking credits, or 'because you watched', or 'more with Clem Coultrane'...
and it's the reason I cancelled Netflix way back when I had a Roku 2 HD. I wouldn't be upset about if it didn't run Netflix (or YouTube) now... 'cause it's old and brittle and a back-up in case of emergencies... for Plex... and it'll run like @$$, no doubt about it.

I got a refurbed Roku Ultra at Amazon for $80 something not long ago - and considering the Plex UNO app runs like @$$ on my Ultra right now I'll be shopping for something newer ASAP (perhaps not a Roku - it depends).

As a PC Gamer I know that 'State of the Art' is outdated by the time you get it out of the peanuts and by the time you run about 30 maintenance cycles on it - it's junk.
Deal with it. Everybody else does.

BTW:
Regarding YouTube, I have no idea what YouTube developers are developing their app for, but it sure as flower ain't a Roku (ANY). Since the beginning of time YouTube has run like @$$ on a Roku (ANY) and that likely won't change any time soon (if history is any indication of future events).
 
twiceover
Posts: 1175
Joined: Wed Dec 11, 2013 12:49 pm

Re: YouTube Alternative for Roku 2 XS

Sat Aug 03, 2019 4:11 am

Emissary35 wrote:
jeffrok wrote:
Just get a new or used told stick. You can get YouTube at much less of a hassle than finding an alternative. You can probably find one on eBay for less than $25.

If you're not willing to send a little to upgrade, I have no other suggestions.

... And MyVideoBuzz worked perfectly as a youtube alternative, was quick and easy and very fast on the older units until Roku killed in last July. ...

That was YouTube that killed all the alternatives.
 
twiceover
Posts: 1175
Joined: Wed Dec 11, 2013 12:49 pm

Re: YouTube Alternative for Roku 2 XS

Sat Aug 03, 2019 4:13 am

DubTaylor wrote:
Also Netflix shows a preview of what you might want to watch as sort of an advertisement.

...- and considering the Plex UNO app runs like @$$ on my Ultra right now I'll be shopping for something newer ASAP (perhaps not a Roku - it depends). ...

What is "Plex Uno"?  I run the standard Plex app on my TVs and it works great.  Is this a 3rd party Plex app of some kind?
 
User avatar
DubTaylor
Posts: 425
Joined: Wed Jul 22, 2015 6:27 pm
Location: W[By God]V

Re: YouTube Alternative for Roku 2 XS

Sat Aug 03, 2019 5:31 am

twiceover wrote:
DubTaylor wrote:
Also Netflix shows a preview of what you might want to watch as sort of an advertisement.

...- and considering the Plex UNO app runs like @$$ on my Ultra right now I'll be shopping for something newer ASAP (perhaps not a Roku - it depends). ...

What is "Plex Uno"?  I run the standard Plex app on my TVs and it works great.  Is this a 3rd party Plex app of some kind?

Oh, it's the fancy name Plex came up with when they came up with the 'New and Improved' app that's supposed to be the 'End All - Be All' design... going to change the industry... well, you know... Users generally dislike it, Plex is bound and determined to flood it out to every device in their Universe, but every time they release UNO onto an unsuspecting public with that month's device app update, the forum melts down, Users riot and Plex tells everybody not to fear change... just give it some time and we'll get used to it. A year later and that feeling of euphoria hasn't yet washed over me. Guess it'll take some more time. Or more Euphoria Medication 'cause the dosages I'm on now ain't working.
;)

Seriously tho... UNO isn't that bad really in appearance. Function suffers a bit to a lot depending on how you look at it. One of the issues it does suffer from is the few little things Plex could change to score a major hit with the public, Plex feels is unnecessary due to it being perfect in every way and because Users are just road blocks to Plex's plan of World Domination. 

The other reason for serious concern is that UNO on my Roku Ultra brings it to it's knees. All hope of smooth operation is right out. It chugs and spits like a Stanley Steamer turning my Top of the Line Roku into a heap of rubble. The good news is if you're annoyed by getting kicked back to Roku Home after a while that never happens with UNO. I've been inside the app for a week now. It'll never go home 'cause it can't and the Roku App Approval Process apparently doesn't check for that!

UNO is jam-packed and overloaded with forced feature fields that can't be turned off, what once took 1 or 2 clicks to do, now takes 10, On Deck has been forced down to 40 slots in an effort to regain some usability, but it still staggers every device it's come up against and Plex remains in blissful denial like the proud parents of Charles (or Marilyn) Manson.

If ur gonna try it on a Roku XS do so from within your Bomb Squad Carharts - and sit on your helmet.
 
User avatar
atc98092
Posts: 3890
Joined: Tue Dec 31, 2013 5:09 pm
Location: Auburn, WA

Re: YouTube Alternative for Roku 2 XS

Sat Aug 03, 2019 2:12 pm

And that's why I only use Plex when I'm traveling. My Stick connects via the hotel WiFi just fine, and I can watch whatever I want via Plex. But for home use I much prefer the Roku Media Player. Yes, it's not as fancy interface like Plex, but it will play one movie after another, which is a requirement for the wife when she goes to bed. RMP does that just fine. 
.
As far as YouTube on a modern Roku, I think it works fine. I use both my Ultra (itself several years old) and my newest Premiere all the time with YT, and it works just the same as my powerful Nvidia Shield. But I gave up on my 2 XS years ago mostly because of the way YT worked on it. 
Dan
Nvidia Shield, Roku Stick (3600), Ultra (4640), Premiere (3920), Insignia 720p Roku TV, Sharp 4K Roku TV, Windows 10 Pro x64 running Serviio and Plex on a wired Gigabit network.
 
User avatar
DubTaylor
Posts: 425
Joined: Wed Jul 22, 2015 6:27 pm
Location: W[By God]V

Re: YouTube Alternative for Roku 2 XS

Sat Aug 03, 2019 3:19 pm

atc98092 wrote:
And that's why I only use Plex when I'm traveling. My Stick connects via the hotel WiFi just fine, and I can watch whatever I want via Plex. But for home use I much prefer the Roku Media Player. Yes, it's not as fancy interface like Plex, but it will play one movie after another, which is a requirement for the wife when she goes to bed. RMP does that just fine. 
.
As far as YouTube on a modern Roku, I think it works fine. I use both my Ultra (itself several years old) and my newest Premiere all the time with YT, and it works just the same as my powerful Nvidia Shield. But I gave up on my 2 XS years ago mostly because of the way YT worked on it. 

You can "Shuffle" your entire movie library and it will play one movie after another until the sun eats the Earth (the power will go out sometime before that (a couple hundred thousand years, give or take) - so tell the wife - full disclosure).
You can also turn on Post Play Auto Play at which point Plex will play an entire season of TV Shows (or Movies? Let us know) one right after the other.

The Wife's gonna be thrilled she'll have that fancy Plex interface to set up her sleep cycle... and you, Sir - may get some cake.

:)
 
User avatar
atc98092
Posts: 3890
Joined: Tue Dec 31, 2013 5:09 pm
Location: Auburn, WA

Re: YouTube Alternative for Roku 2 XS

Sat Aug 03, 2019 6:43 pm

Yes, Plex will continue playing with TV episodes, but not movies, at least in my testing. And there's no Roku in the bedroom any longer anyway. She used the Sony BD player for her watching, but I also have the Shield there, because that's the only 4K TV I have except for the Sharp Roku TV in the den. And she doesn't like to mess with the Shield. 
Dan
Nvidia Shield, Roku Stick (3600), Ultra (4640), Premiere (3920), Insignia 720p Roku TV, Sharp 4K Roku TV, Windows 10 Pro x64 running Serviio and Plex on a wired Gigabit network.

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 38 guests