Your Digital Media Has Never Looked So Good

Mike_S
Topic Author

Roku Express in reboot loop

Thu Aug 08, 2019 12:01 pm

I am using a Roku express I purchased last fall from Best Buy.

It is running with supplied USB cable and power supply.
The unit was unused since late May while I was away.
Since I returned home at the beginning of July, the unit reboots itself about every 3 (or so) minutes.
This happens no matter what content/channel is being played.

Searching for this problem in the forums and internet, I saw many reports of this behavior over the last few years. The solutions were always to delete the offending channel, reboot the roku, and re-install the channel.

I did this. I removed ALL channels, rebooted, and installed ONLY YouTube.

It still rebooted itself every few minutes.

Again, on advice from the internet, I did a factory reset, installed a couple of channels and tried again.

It still reboots about every 3 minutes.

I have tried other power supplies with no change in behavior.

I have tried two different wi-fi networks, both connections previously worked, with the same behavior.

I have let the express sit over night unplugged and it begins rebooting a few minutes after you start a stream, so I doubt it's a heat issue.

I then went to Best Buy and purchased another Roku express.

I installed it with the new power supply and cables and linked it to my account.
As part of its installation, it did a software update.
It rebooted every 3 or so minutes.
I returned it the next day.

On these forums, it appears that this problem is occurring on Roku sticks, Roku 4's, and Roku TVs in recent months.

I did software testing on medical equipment for many years. This sure seems like a software defect.

Is there any hope of a solution?

RokuTannerD

Re: Roku Express in reboot loop

Thu Aug 08, 2019 1:28 pm

Hi there, 

Have you tried rebooting your home network and the device, then trying to set it up again? I'd also recommend connecting the device to a different wireless network, such as a mobile hotspot, and seeing if you experience the same result. There could be an issue with your network's configuration that may somehow be causing an issue, but it's hard to say. 

Give that a try and let us know how it goes from there. 

Thanks,
Tanner
Tanner D.
Roku Community Manager

Mike_S
Topic Author

Thu Aug 08, 2019 6:18 pm

RokuTannerD wrote:
Hi there, 

Have you tried rebooting your home network and the device, then trying to set it up again? I'd also recommend connecting the device to a different wireless network, such as a mobile hotspot, and seeing if you experience the same result. There could be an issue with your network's configuration that may somehow be causing an issue, but it's hard to say. 

I have rebooted the router (and the cable modem too). The second connection I tried was a mobile hotspot. I have used both before (in May) and they both worked.
I also tried the replacement express with both networks, but did not reboot the router for it. The new express also rebooted every ~3 minutes.
On the second express I went thru the same process... install, link, delete all channels, reboot, install only YouTube -> reboot loop. factory reset and do it all again -> reboot loop.
Thanks,
-Mike

Chicken

Fri Aug 09, 2019 8:22 am

I'm curious to know if your ROKU reboots every 3 minutes whether or not it's playing video.

FWIW, and I could be wrong, but 3 minutes seems to be about the limit of the video buffer (depending on resolution, perhaps shorter or longer than this perhaps?) b/c I can disconnect the internet feed and the ROKU keeps playing for some amount of time (I never actually timed this but it's long enough for my routers to reboot and reconnect without causing playback disruption).

Mike_S
Topic Author

Fri Aug 09, 2019 6:48 pm

Chicken wrote:
I'm curious to know if your ROKU reboots every 3 minutes whether or not it's playing video

Good thought! It did occur to me, but I didn't try it.
It just went 8 minutes on the home screen with no problem. Then I checked some settings, and then opened the YouTube channel. It rebooted after 2 minutes not showing anything but the but the YouTube start page.
After the reboot I went directly to the YouTube channel and let it sit there, no video playing. It rebooted after 3:27.
Probably not much buffering going on... Still rebooting.