Your Digital Media Has Never Looked So Good

Frugger
Topic Author

Bug Found- New Streaming Stick+ Install, Software Update, No Remote

Fri Aug 09, 2019 4:48 pm

I think I've found a bug. I purchased and installed a new in box Streaming Stick+. On initial install, I connected to my Wifi, Roku requested a software updated and when it came back up it would not connect to the remote - at all. I tried all the various hard resets, pairing instructions and chalked it up to a defective device. So, bought another new in box Streaming Stick+, connected to WiFi, software update - and same exact result. Remote on Stick #2 cannot connect. On a side note, I went through the same exact install on an Ultra and that worked with no issues, just seems to be an edge case with NIB Stick+ installs. Anyone have any ideas before I ship these units back to Amazon?

Thanks!

atc98092

Re: Bug Found- New Streaming Stick+ Install, Software Update, No Remote

Fri Aug 09, 2019 5:34 pm

The Stick remotes only use WiFi Direct, and sometimes they have an issue (interference) with your home network. Try shutting down your WiFi and try pairing again. Or at the least change your WiFi channel. I believe others have had success doing that. Once the remote is paired again, you should have no further issues with your home WiFi. 
Dan
Nvidia Shield, Roku Stick (3600), Ultra (4640), Premiere (3920), Insignia 720p Roku TV, Sharp 4K Roku TV, Windows 10 Pro x64 running Serviio and Plex on a wired Gigabit network.

Frugger
Topic Author

Fri Aug 09, 2019 6:09 pm

Thanks - already tried shutting down the WiFi and then tried to set up both sticks in two separate physical locations blocks apart with the WiFi shutdown to rule out that as a cause. The same result - neither one will connect.

makaiguy

Sat Aug 10, 2019 6:04 am

Are you attempting to connect to a 5Ghz wifi band or a 2.4Ghz wifi band?

Unless they've changed this with later models, Rokus with 5GHz don't support the DFS  (dynamic frequency selection) channels (52, 56, 60, 64, 100, 104, 108, 112, 116, 132, and 136). 

DFS channels are shared with other uses such as weather radar.  Routers supporting these channels must be able to detect such licensed use in your vicinity and automatically switch you to another channel. Some router manufacturers don't include this capability and so don't (or at least shouldn't) support those channels at all.

That leaves the following non-DFS channels that Rokus and virtually all 5GHz routers DO support: 36, 40, 44, 48, 149, 153, 157, and 161.

Reference: https://superuser.com/questions/692835/ ... nel-to-use
Roku 3, 4200X, Ser 4124C7087583, wifi connected - Samsung UN55ES6100

Frugger
Topic Author

Sat Aug 10, 2019 8:33 am

Neither - at this point I'm just trying to get the remote control to connect to the Streaming Stick+. After a required firmware update on the stick (and before I could even get the stick assigned to my Roku account) the connection between the remote and stick went sideways and I'm stuck on "Lets Get Started"...

Tivoburkee

Sat Aug 10, 2019 10:50 am

How are you powering the stick, by usb on the tv or via wall outlet? Do you have e included power antenna attached between the stick+ and power source?

Frugger
Topic Author

Sat Aug 10, 2019 5:07 pm

Stick is powered via the wall outlet adapter and the powered antenna is attached. 

RokuTannerD

Mon Aug 12, 2019 10:18 am

@Frugger 

Thanks for reaching out. Sorry to hear about the connection issue you're running into. As mentioned above, this typically relates to some sort of wireless interference or congestion issue that prevents the remote from communicating with your device properly. 

If you haven't already, try taking a look here for more tips: https://support.roku.com/article/208755708-how-do-i-resolve-problems-with-my-roku-enhanced-point-anywhere-remote-

Feel free to send me a PM with your Roku account email address and the serial number of your devices (printed on the unit) if those steps aren't helping clear things up, and I'll see what other suggestions we can provide. 

Thanks,
Tanner
Tanner D.
Roku Community Manager