Your Digital Media Has Never Looked So Good

rsperson
Topic Author

Iphone starts roku TV instead of phone

Wed Aug 14, 2019 7:10 am

have an Iphone - when trying to watch Netflix on the iphone - instead turns on the Roku TV and plays netflix there instead.  Both devices are on the same network.  When I start Netflix on the iphone - that is where I want it to play.  I am sure its a setting - the only solution at this point is to unplug the Roku TV.  Only solution so far.

RokuTannerD

Re: Iphone starts roku TV instead of phone

Wed Aug 14, 2019 10:48 am

Thanks for the note. 

If you're seeing this behavior when using the Netflix app on your phone, you'll want to contact Netflix support to report the issue and request additional help with their mobile app. You can reach their support team here: https://help.netflix.com/en/

Thanks,
Tanner
Tanner D.
Roku Community Manager

rsperson
Topic Author

Wed Aug 14, 2019 12:22 pm

additional information - I have a second TV in another location - again iphone and TV are on the same network.   The problem DOESN'T happen there.  Netflix works fine, TV works fine.  They are BOTH Roku TVs but different age, size, model series - so its something with the app in the TV and the iphone interacting

twiceover

Wed Aug 14, 2019 1:19 pm

Sounds like your phone app is casting to the tv by default.  If you click the cast icon is there an option something like "Play Here"?  If you turn off wifi and use network data, or take your phone somewhere else, I assume it would then play on your phone, right?

rsperson
Topic Author

Wed Aug 14, 2019 2:28 pm

this is an Iphone X so there are no cast options - casting is from inside applications and none are installed, unless it is somehow hidden.  We also have a seldom used Roku stick hooked to an OLD TV and it doesn't have that auto switch behavior either.

RokuTannerD

Wed Aug 14, 2019 3:33 pm

This 'casting' option is built into the Netflix mobile app. See more here: https://help.netflix.com/en/node/49?ba=SwiftypeResultClick&q=mobile%20app%20

I'd recommend trying to remove the Netflix app from your phone, restart it, then reinstall the mobile app and try once more. 

If you're still experiencing an issue with the Netflix mobile app automatically casting to your Roku device after trying the steps above, we'd recommend contacting Netflix support to report the issue and request additional assistance. 

Cheers,
Tanner
Tanner D.
Roku Community Manager

rsperson
Topic Author

Thu Aug 15, 2019 7:52 am

so far so good - reloaded app - no longer auto cast to Roku TV,  Still need to check other Roku devices.  I will consider this complete and closed.  If there is still an issue, it will be a NEW issue and post accordingly

Thanks for the help