Your Digital Media Has Never Looked So Good

 
User avatar
Daikini Crossroads
Topic Author
Posts: 3
Joined: Fri Aug 16, 2019 8:28 pm

Prime Video Mobile App Control

Sat Aug 17, 2019 4:09 pm

I have a 55S403 TCL Roku TV.   Does anyone know if there's a way to interface with the TV's Prime Video app via the mobile Prime Video app for Android through the "Second Screen" feature (i.e, browse movies with the phone app, then "cast" selections to the TV, basically using the phone as a smart remote control)?  This functionality exists for the YouTube app (you can project YouTube vids from your phone to the TV), and it'd be really nice to be able to do the same with Prime Video.  Thanks!

Image
Image
Image
 
scottypie1234
Posts: 687
Joined: Sat May 25, 2013 7:48 am

Re: Prime Video Mobile App Control

Sat Aug 17, 2019 10:03 pm

I believe the only way you're going to be able to accomplish that is with a Chromecast.
 
User avatar
Daikini Crossroads
Topic Author
Posts: 3
Joined: Fri Aug 16, 2019 8:28 pm

Re: Prime Video Mobile App Control

Sun Aug 18, 2019 3:25 am

scottypie1234 wrote:
I believe the only way you're going to be able to accomplish that is with a Chromecast.

Yeah, I guess I just thought that since the TV is capable of receiving a signal from the mobile YouTube app without a Chromecast or any other kind of peripheral, that there might be a way to get it to communicate with the Prime Video mobile app too...   Perhaps not, though  :-/   Thanks for the reply.
 
User avatar
jeffrok
** Valued Community Member **
Posts: 5523
Joined: Sun Nov 30, 2008 4:51 pm
Location: Milwaukee, WI
Contact:

Re: Prime Video Mobile App Control

Sun Aug 18, 2019 8:03 am

I think that only works with a Fire TV device.
Yeah, I got some Rokus.
https://youtu.be/d1CSEeqWl10
 
User avatar
RokuTannerD
Posts: 719
Joined: Tue Mar 20, 2018 2:37 pm

Re: Prime Video Mobile App Control

Mon Aug 19, 2019 2:58 pm

@Daikini Crossroads

That's a great question. You can accomplish a form of this functionality using the Roku mobile app. 

After installing the Roku mobile app on your mobile phone, launch the app and connect to your Roku device. Then, use the search feature in the mobile app to locate the movie or TV show that you're interested in. For TV show results, you can select the specific season from the dropdown, and a list of the available episodes should appear. You should be able to tap on one of these episodes to trigger your connected Roku device to begin playback of that content. 

Let us know how it goes from there! 


Thanks,
Tanner
Tanner D.
Roku Community Manager
 
User avatar
Daikini Crossroads
Topic Author
Posts: 3
Joined: Fri Aug 16, 2019 8:28 pm

Re: Prime Video Mobile App Control

Mon Aug 26, 2019 9:55 pm

RokuTannerD wrote:
@Daikini Crossroads

That's a great question. You can accomplish a form of this functionality using the Roku mobile app. 

After installing the Roku mobile app on your mobile phone, launch the app and connect to your Roku device. Then, use the search feature in the mobile app to locate the movie or TV show that you're interested in. For TV show results, you can select the specific season from the dropdown, and a list of the available episodes should appear. You should be able to tap on one of these episodes to trigger your connected Roku device to begin playback of that content. 

Let us know how it goes from there! 


Thanks,
Tanner

While that certainly works for Roku Channel material, it doesn't appear to enable you to browse/play Prime Video content...
 
gandrew
Posts: 4
Joined: Sun Aug 04, 2019 3:45 am

Re: Prime Video Mobile App Control

Tue Aug 27, 2019 10:26 am

Daikini Crossroads wrote:
I have a 55S403 TCL Roku TV.   Does anyone know if there's a way to interface with the TV's Prime Video app via the mobile Prime Video app for Android through the "Second Screen" feature (i.e, browse movies with the phone app, then "cast" selections to the TV, basically using the phone as a smart remote control)?  This functionality mcdvoice exists for the YouTube app (you can project YouTube vids from your phone to the TV), and it'd be really nice to be able to do the same with Prime Video.  Thanks!

Image
Image
Image

I am stuck with the same question 
Last edited by gandrew on Sat Sep 07, 2019 12:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.
 
37mediagroup
Posts: 213
Joined: Sat Jul 27, 2013 12:32 pm
Contact:

Re: Prime Video Mobile App Control

Tue Aug 27, 2019 10:50 am

You're Roku TV might cast or mirror your smartphone. Just goto Settings > System > Screen Mirroring. Then on an Android you need to turn on Smart View (might only be on certain models, I have an 8). There's a similar feature for Iphone, don't recall what it is & again might only be certain newer models.

Image
 
User avatar
jeffrok
** Valued Community Member **
Posts: 5523
Joined: Sun Nov 30, 2008 4:51 pm
Location: Milwaukee, WI
Contact:

Re: Prime Video Mobile App Control

Tue Aug 27, 2019 11:25 am

37mediagroup wrote:
You're Roku TV might cast or mirror your smartphone. Just goto Settings > System > Screen Mirroring. Then on an Android you need to turn on Smart View (might only be on certain models, I have an 8). There's a similar feature for Iphone, don't recall what it is & again might only be certain newer models.

Image


Mirroring is a last resort.. video quality is usually pretty bad as is audio, when mirroring..

Casting is really what you want to do in a situation like this.
Yeah, I got some Rokus.
https://youtu.be/d1CSEeqWl10
 
User avatar
RokuTannerD
Posts: 719
Joined: Tue Mar 20, 2018 2:37 pm

Re: Prime Video Mobile App Control

Tue Aug 27, 2019 11:33 am

@Daikini Crossroads

It should allow the channel to launch and start playing the content, assuming you are signed into the Amazon Prime Video channel on your Roku TV. 

For example, I tested using 'The Marvelous Mrs. Maisel' Season 2, Episode 1. On my Android device, I opened the Roku mobile app and connected to my Roku TV. 

Then, I went to 'Search' and searched for the series. I scrolled down and tapped on Episode 1 of Season 2, then tapped the triangle 'Play' icon next to the channel name that appears on that page. This launched the Amazon Prime video channel on my Roku TV and started playing the episode I had selected. 

Please let me know how this differs from what you are seeing, or what you are trying to accomplish, and I'll try to make any further suggestions. 


Cheers,
Tanner
Tanner D.
Roku Community Manager
 
User avatar
atc98092
Posts: 3890
Joined: Tue Dec 31, 2013 5:09 pm
Location: Auburn, WA

Re: Prime Video Mobile App Control

Tue Aug 27, 2019 1:01 pm

37mediagroup wrote:
You're Roku TV might cast or mirror your smartphone. Just goto Settings > System > Screen Mirroring. Then on an Android you need to turn on Smart View (might only be on certain models, I have an 8). There's a similar feature for Iphone, don't recall what it is & again might only be certain newer models.

Apple has no screen mirroring function in their iOS operating system, unless it's been added to their newest models. There might be an app that enables it, but I tried one or two in the past that never worked with a Roku. 
Dan
Nvidia Shield, Roku Stick (3600), Ultra (4640), Premiere (3920), Insignia 720p Roku TV, Sharp 4K Roku TV, Windows 10 Pro x64 running Serviio and Plex on a wired Gigabit network.

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 28 guests