Your Digital Media Has Never Looked So Good

edenham
Topic Author

TCL Roku TV "USB device requires more power" after 9.1.0 update, nothing plugged in

Sun Aug 18, 2019 1:22 pm

I have had my 55P605 for two years without issue.  I never used any of the streaming features being I do all my steaming though my TIVO mini so I never connected it to the internet until a day ago to see if the TV worked any faster.  After the 9.1.0 build 4129-30 update and roku setup, linking my account, I now get a warning that never goes away at the bottom of the screen saying "This USB device requires more power. Use adapter if available".  I have never used any sort of USB device on the TV before so I don't know what it is referring to.  I have tried everything I can think of from unplugging all HDMI inputs, resetting, factory reset, ect.  I have spoke and trouble shot with TCL support which eventually told me to speak with Roku support which than told me to speak with TCL support which said sorry you out of warranty we can't help you.  Kind of at a loss atm and was wondering if anyone has any clue what could be causing this?  Not sure if it is related to a hardware issue or a software one since it started happening after an update.

twiceover

Re: TCL Roku TV "USB device requires more power" after 9.1.0 update, nothing plugged in

Sun Aug 18, 2019 4:53 pm

You get that message on a Roku TV?  I don't think that's supposed to happen.

edenham
Topic Author

Re: TCL Roku TV "USB device requires more power" after 9.1.0 update, nothing plugged in

Sun Aug 18, 2019 6:37 pm

twiceover wrote:
You get that message on a Roku TV?  I don't think that's supposed to happen.

That was my thought process too since it is built into the TV and it is not possible for me use an adapter.  It is also the reason I am posting here first before venturing out to other AV forums.  hope to get it resolved, would hate to have to abandon this TV over a power warning popup that might not apply.  The rest of the TV is great, works perfect.

atc98092

Sun Aug 18, 2019 6:40 pm

Yeah, if you don't have any USB device connected to the TV, you should never see that message. I've never seen it on my Sharp Roku TV, nor my older, smaller Insignia set. I'm inclined to believe it's a hardware issue with the TV, but if TCL won't offer any help I'm not sure what you can do. From the issues I've seen in this forum with TCL TVs, I'm not certain I'd ever buy one myself. 
Dan
Nvidia Shield, Roku Stick (3600), Ultra (4640), Premiere (3920), Insignia 720p Roku TV, Sharp 4K Roku TV, Windows 10 Pro x64 running Serviio and Plex on a wired Gigabit network.

twiceover

Sun Aug 18, 2019 7:16 pm

atc98092 wrote:
Yeah, if you don't have any USB device connected to the TV, you should never see that message. I've never seen it on my Sharp Roku TV, nor my older, smaller Insignia set. I'm inclined to believe it's a hardware issue with the TV, but if TCL won't offer any help I'm not sure what you can do. From the issues I've seen in this forum with TCL TVs, I'm not certain I'd ever buy one myself. 

To be fair, this is a support forum so you're always seeing the worst of the situations. TCL sells way more Roku TVs than the other brands. For what it's worth, we have 4 TCL Roku TVs with no issues.

Heyitsrick

Mon Aug 19, 2019 2:35 am

Why not actually try connecting a USB thumb drive to the TV to see if doing that might somehow trigger a USB reset?  Do it for each USB port if it has more than one.  If nothing changes when you first plug them in, power the TV off and back on with USB plugged in. Still nothing? Disconnect TV from AC power for a few minutes, then power back up with USB still plugged in.

edenham
Topic Author

Mon Aug 19, 2019 6:54 am

Heyitsrick wrote:
Why not actually try connecting a USB thumb drive to the TV to see if doing that might somehow trigger a USB reset?  Do it for each USB port if it has more than one.  If nothing changes when you first plug them in, power the TV off and back on with USB plugged in. Still nothing? Disconnect TV from AC power for a few minutes, then power back up with USB still plugged in.

These were some great ideas, I tried them all and went a step further.  Tried running a reset from the back and doing a factory reset while the flash drive was plugged in but no luck.  Appreciate the help.

plutonashfan

Mon Aug 19, 2019 9:48 am

atc98092 wrote:

Wise man! They can't get surround system to work without audio delays (2 years running) and now my HDR is FUBAR as well!

Heyitsrick

Mon Aug 19, 2019 10:19 am

I found the "Official" thread at avsforum.com for your model. One guy had the same issue two full years ago (August 2017) but no one responded to his issue. He said he was bringing it back to Best Buy to swap it out.  Link: USB Power Issue

Here's a thought - Even though you're seeing that message, there's a chance that USB, itself, might still work. What about manually downloading the latest Roku update for the TV and put it on a USB stick and forcing it to "upgrade" (actually copying the same version over itself)? Maybe something in the Roku update got hosed while installing, resulting in this message, so if it allows you to essentially refresh itself, try copying the Roku update to USB and install it.

Here's the download page:  (You have to use the model number Roku has for your TV in the "About" section - specifically "The Roku Model Number can be found on the Settings > System > About screen on the Roku TV. It’s four numbers and a letter."  It looks like it should be 7103X as the model number.     Roku Download Page  This page will walk you through the steps after choosing TCL as the make and 7103X as the model.

Here's the TCL how-to about manual firmware/software upgrades. It does say on this page that you might get an error if it's the most current version of software already installed, but give it a try. 
How To Update Software On TCL Roku

edenham
Topic Author

Mon Aug 19, 2019 7:28 pm

Heyitsrick wrote:
I found the "Official" thread at avsforum.com for your model. One guy had the same issue two full years ago (August 2017) but no one responded to his issue. He said he was bringing it back to Best Buy to swap it out.  Link: USB Power Issue

Here's a thought - Even though you're seeing that message, there's a chance that USB, itself, might still work. What about manually downloading the latest Roku update for the TV and put it on a USB stick and forcing it to "upgrade" (actually copying the same version over itself)? Maybe something in the Roku update got hosed while installing, resulting in this message, so if it allows you to essentially refresh itself, try copying the Roku update to USB and install it.

Here's the download page:  (You have to use the model number Roku has for your TV in the "About" section - specifically "The Roku Model Number can be found on the Settings > System > About screen on the Roku TV. It’s four numbers and a letter."  It looks like it should be 7103X as the model number.     Roku Download Page  This page will walk you through the steps after choosing TCL as the make and 7103X as the model.

Here's the TCL how-to about manual firmware/software upgrades. It does say on this page that you might get an error if it's the most current version of software already installed, but give it a try. 
How To Update Software On TCL 

So I am starting to suspect that the power being supplied to the USB port or the port in general is busted.  When trying to run the install it kept telling me the file was invalid about every 5 secs that it would try again over and over and over.  And when loading some pictures the tv can only read the flash drive for a few seconds before disconnecting.  I can also view this happening in the media player menu, the green flash drive icon that appears when one is plugged in cycles on and off every 5 seconds or so.  I guess the next step is to figure out if it’s the power supply or the board the USB port is connected to.  Stinks cause I don’t even use the USB port and it has crippled my machine.
Thanks for the suggestions, has got me one step closer to figuring out the issue.  Just wish it didn’t associate a failing port with an under powered device warning.  

Heyitsrick

Tue Aug 20, 2019 3:47 am

OK, well, there is a main board for this set pretty cheap (open box "new" from a TV with a cracked screen) for $42.46 on Ebay. You can see the ports seem to match up when you hover over the image on Ebay to enlarge it. After the coax connector moving to the right is an optical port, then a single HDMI, then the USB, followed by a couple of mini-plug ports.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/TCL-55P605-55P607-Main-Board-08-CS55CFN-OC406AA/372726374190?hash=item56c8391f2e:g:wkUAAOSwpBpdQJj0

Probably very easy to replace.