Your Digital Media Has Never Looked So Good

troothteller
Topic Author

Roku 2 Remote Died Today

Mon Aug 19, 2019 3:25 pm

It's been such a while since I logged into either the main website or this forum that I could not get on without registering a new account.  Yesterday my Roku 2 acted stubbornly while scrolling through icons and film frames.  Today it just about quit altogether, even having had new batteries.  Among icons on the TV screen it sort of rests until it feels like moving a few places, making video selection a tiresome activity.  So, I have a stuck remote.  Any troubleshooting advice?  It is on a Windows 7 system, if important.  I hate to buy a new streaming device now.  Before Microsoft quits supporting Windows 7 I will purchase of refurbished Apple.  Thanks for all who can read this.  The Roku 2 connects to my TV on my wireless network.

jeffrok
** Valued Community Member **

Re: Roku 2 Remote Died Today

Mon Aug 19, 2019 6:37 pm

I'm not sure what you mean by "It's on a Windows 7 system".. your Roku doesn't connect to your computer, other than for local media streaming.

Your best bet is to buy a replacement remote from Roku.com/accessories, the Standard IR remote will do.
Yeah, I got some Rokus.
https://youtu.be/d1CSEeqWl10

troothteller
Topic Author

Tue Aug 20, 2019 5:03 am

Groovy profile picture.  Yeah, you are right.  My Roku 2 connects to the TV which connects over my wireless network.  My Windows 7 would be a host computer.  I do not know how often the OS is an issue.  From streaming on apps I know that blocking within browsers can interrupt streaming because they do not want you to block adds.  Thanks for the advice on purchasing a new remote.  I guess that is a universal one.  Now, I would like to forward something to the right moderator about my previous login problem.

jeffrok

Tue Aug 20, 2019 5:04 am

Sounds good. Just know again, that your computer doesn't need to be on to stream to your Roku frommthe internet. The Roku works on its own, unless you've got content on your laptop you want to stream through a DLNA server.
Yeah, I got some Rokus.

atc98092

Tue Aug 20, 2019 3:12 pm

Yes, please don't use Windows Media Services as your streaming source on your computer. Try Plex, Emby, Serviio, or one of the many free or low cost DLNA servers that you can download and install on a Windows PC. Windows Media is a terrible streaming source unless your videos are 100% Roku format compliant. And I can almost guarantee that you will have some non-compliant media at some time. :D
Dan
Nvidia Shield, Roku Stick (3600), Ultra (4640), Premiere (3920), Insignia 720p Roku TV, Sharp 4K Roku TV, Windows 10 Pro x64 running Serviio and Plex on a wired Gigabit network.

troothteller
Topic Author

Tue Aug 20, 2019 4:13 pm

Thanks for being helpful.  I never heard of these services.  However, with Microsoft planning to quit supporting Windows 7, and probably Windows 10 soon after, I am trying to be careful with this computer, hoping that it doesn't crash in the meantime.  My refurbished Apple computer will have things designed to go with it.  I have had so much trouble with Microsoft and associated vendors that I have had it with Microsoft.

atc98092

Wed Aug 21, 2019 12:18 pm

Those other DLNA servers I mentioned in most cases have versions for Mac and Linux as well. So even if you used a Windows version now you could switch to a Mac and use what you are already comfortable with. 
Yes, Windows 7 support is ending soon. I think they'll be supporting Win 10 for quite some time, since they haven't released a completely new OS since then. 
Dan
Nvidia Shield, Roku Stick (3600), Ultra (4640), Premiere (3920), Insignia 720p Roku TV, Sharp 4K Roku TV, Windows 10 Pro x64 running Serviio and Plex on a wired Gigabit network.

troothteller
Topic Author

Wed Aug 21, 2019 2:16 pm

Thanks for your help.  I still don't trust Microsoft.  They have been real nasty since I have to use my computer for non-profit work.

jeffrok

Wed Aug 21, 2019 2:27 pm

troothteller wrote:
Thanks for your help.  I still don't trust Microsoft.  They have been real nasty since I have to use my computer for non-profit work.

Throughout this thread, I still haven't figured out what your computer has to do with your Roku problem..hmm.
Yeah, I got some Rokus.

troothteller
Topic Author

Wed Aug 21, 2019 3:26 pm

It is the host computer on my wireless network.  I only disclosed it leaving it up to the experts out there as to whether it has anything to do with Roku streaming.  With a broken remote control it probably doesn't.  I probably should not have brought it up to avoid confusion.  I do not like streaming on computer and connecting it to a TV.  Vaguely I remember having to shut something down on the computer in order to do that.

troothteller
Topic Author

Fri Aug 23, 2019 8:38 am

Now that the new remote came today, I switched out my batteries to the new one.  This new remote works as badly as the old one.  After following the video, I removed the batteries before I powercycled the Roku 2.  Then after putting the batteries back in the remote still does not work.  It may move once, but not continually across the icons on the menu.  This remote does not have a pairing button.

jeffrok

Fri Aug 23, 2019 8:50 am

Make sure the Roku 2 infrared sensor isn't covered by anything.. the front of the Roku 2 contains the infrared sensor and has to be within "sight" of the remote.
Yeah, I got some Rokus.

troothteller
Topic Author

Fri Aug 23, 2019 9:05 am

I have done that.  That is not the problem.  After the remote rests, the arrows on it allow it to move one app position, then it freezes.  The old one worked this way.  Now, I do not know which one is worse.

jeffrok

Fri Aug 23, 2019 9:21 am

Well, try moving the Roku 2 away from the TV.. are there any other lights nearby that could be causing interference with the remote? If possible, move the Roku to a completely different tv in the house (if possible).. In the past there were certain models of Phillips TV's that had an ambient light coming off of them, and when enabled, would interfere with IR remotes.

So try repositioning the Roku first, and if that doesn't work, test it on a different TV in a different room.
Yeah, I got some Rokus.

troothteller
Topic Author

Fri Aug 23, 2019 9:54 am

The Roku 2 is in a different spot as far as the chords connecting it allow.  Because of the remote freezing I do not know if it is still connected to my wireless network.  The screen froze to the left and will not scroll down.  It seems like the old one, which I did not throw away, worked better than this one.