Your Digital Media Has Never Looked So Good

matthewbartlett
Topic Author

Purchasing for family member in nursing home

Tue Aug 27, 2019 1:33 am

Was thinking of purchasing another Roku Express and setting it up on my mom's  TV at a nursing home  using it via the homes public wifi...not sure on wifi's specs there, but should it work.   Would just have some the ftree services for  het...the big trick be teaching her to use it as it being something new, she will put up the mental block that its too difficult to learn

scottypie1234

Re: Purchasing for family member in nursing home

Tue Aug 27, 2019 5:27 am

So much will depend on the wifi setup. Does she get a strong signal in her room? Is the router capable of handling streaming video efficiently? 

atc98092

Tue Aug 27, 2019 5:37 am

If the WiFi requires authentication via a web page, it's more tricky to set up. You might get it working fine, but if there's any glitch and it requires re-authentication you'll have to go back and assist her. As long is that's acceptable (not too far away) then it should be fine. I use my Stick all the time at hotels when I travel, and it always works fine on the hotel WiFi once I finally get it set up correctly. For some reason I have a rough time getting it set up using an iPad as the connection device, but using my laptop it always works the first time. 
Dan
Nvidia Shield, Roku Stick (3600), Ultra (4640), Premiere (3920), Insignia 720p Roku TV, Sharp 4K Roku TV, Windows 10 Pro x64 running Serviio and Plex on a wired Gigabit network.

37mediagroup

Tue Aug 27, 2019 6:24 am

Lemme ask you this, have you considered buying her a small Roku TV for the place?  This way, upon turning it on, it automatically goes to the Roku home screen, and the remote is the simple streamline Roku remote, with just Play FWD, RWD, & the up down arrows work as channel up/channel down.

Typically, what throws off elderly users are messing with complicated TV remote controls, especially fiddling the INPUT button to switch from antennae or cable, to the DVD or Roku/HDMI etc.(I worked at a cable company customer service & often times "My cables out!!" calls was a matter of explaining this to people, to toggle thru the INPUT options) This avoids that complication, and the Antennae option is a built in Roku channel/app, similar to Netflix or Pandora. (Set her up with a Pandora account & add Sinatra, Beatles, Dolly Parton etc whatever she's into). IMHO it would be a simpler experience for her, just turn on & chose.

And, for what it's worth, I run a channel she might be interested in, called Old School Social Studies Films. It's a collection of archive & public domain films from the 1920s & 30s, mostly B&W, and typically short films from 10-20 minutes, the kinda government & education shorts that used to be made. She might get a kick out of it, plus, it's free!

Iona-D

Sat Aug 31, 2019 11:08 am

I bought a Streaming Stick for my own mother.  Big waste of money.  She had absolutely no interest in it.  All she wanted was 24/7 Over-The-Air Trash TV of junk content local channels.  While my own mother lives in her own home, I would be very cautious of putting anything of value in her room if she was living in a nursing home.  Perhaps the Roku device itself is inexpensive and easily replaceable if stolen.  Which would probably happen with all those sticky fingered klepto-morons running around places like nursing homes.  Your downloaded personal information contained in that device is not and very priceless.  It never seems to surprise me how people don't get that very major distinction.  

jeffrok
** Valued Community Member **

Sat Aug 31, 2019 11:41 am

Iona, what personal information is "stored" on a Roku? You mean, access to Netflix, and Hulu? Oh no! There's nothing stored on a Roku other than access to other stuff and your email address.
Yeah, I got some Rokus.
https://youtu.be/d1CSEeqWl10

Iona-D

Tue Sep 03, 2019 7:37 am

jeffrok wrote:
Iona, what personal information is "stored" on a Roku? You mean, access to Netflix, and Hulu? Oh no! There's nothing stored on a Roku other than access to other stuff and your email address.

jeffrok,  I know you have at least one credit card to your name.  How do I know this?  You are online (broadband internet access-you're reading this aren't you?) and you have a Roku account (or else you would not be interested in joining these forums).  Even if you deleted the credit card information after signing up for your account,  initially you (and everyone else) needed the number.  And most other people use their credit cards to buy things online at other sites.   This is the way  things are done financially in the 21st century.

Look more closely and you will see what is contained in the credit card that is the financial key for most everything.  Whether you surrender, with your knowledge or not, your credit card (or similar) number, typing those same numbers into the Payment box or page, you are giving full knowledge and even access to the receiving end with the following far beyond a simple financial transaction:

• Identification and Contact Info
  • Social Security Number
  • Proof of Age. 
  • Income or Salary Totals. 
  • Employer Contact Information. 
  • Healthy FICO Credit Score.

So what you say?  Well that's plenty to be concerned about   This involves a great deal of lopsided trust-on your side, not theirs'.  Because with just the information gathered above or the personal information gleamed using the above, some party would really could gather even more information on you that you would not want someone else to have.  And wreck more havoc on your personal and financial life than you could imagine.  

I learn this the hard way.  Plus after many years of either working with my background checked and rechecked by my past employer-the state or US government or members of my family going through the same for employment and/or security clearance issuance reasons.  Even the private sector has gotten in on the act and check up on it's people.  Or better yet Data Mine to death anyone that contacts their corporation and/or uses their products.  That's the way of this world and there's probably no real end to it.

So most live in their turtle shells and don't think of such things.  Some people do think and set up some simple, but effective, limits to this by using a reloadable card for all online transactions.   No moola, no stickyfingers I say.  Plus simply give out as little information about myself as I can get away with. The rest of my product usage is paid for by using "free" content offers-paid for by my "eyeballs"-with the addition of non crucial email addresses or a Google Voice number.  Or avoid using 3rd party services as well.  Works every time.  People were taught to be "nice" or "good" toward others.  That is fine with friends and family.  Not handing out so freely personal information on the World Wide Web.  Or in easy public access nursing homes filled with underpaid staff.

That is what is stored within your's-and others'-innocent looking streaming devices.  The Key To Your Very Own Life!

jeffrok

Tue Sep 03, 2019 11:05 am

Your credit card information is not stored on your Roku: your credit card information is stored in the cloud, linked to your Roku account, but not on the device itself. By stealing your Roku, someone could not steal your credit card info.

Think about it. Have you ever entered your credit card info onto your Roku, using your Roku remote or your remote Roku app? No. If someone steals your Roku, the worst they can do is get the information that they can read in the settings screen.
Yeah, I got some Rokus.

Iona-D

Tue Sep 10, 2019 9:58 am

jeffrok wrote:
Your credit card information is not stored on your Roku:  your credit card information is stored in the cloud, linked to your Roku account, but not on the device itself. By stealing your Roku, someone could not steal your credit card info.

Think about it. Have you ever entered your credit card info onto your Roku, using your Roku remote or your remote Roku app? No. If someone steals your Roku, the worst they can do is get the information that they can read in the settings screen.

The little devices have very limited storage-yes I'm aware of that part.  It does not matter to me at least the location where vital information happens to be stored.  Simply if It's that sensitive information is stored in the first place somewhere access-able.  Wherever it  actually is on the actual device (not in this case) or online, and most important of all, if someone could get a hold of it.  Right this minute, I am on my Roku Ultra looking at this: (Settings>Payment Method).  1 option (Update Payment Method) and the last 4 digits of my credit card is displayed on my screen.  Too easy access to sensitive information to change or even tempted to tamper with anyone who has my Ultra in their possession.  
And going further (System>About) and my email and my device's name is shown.  Select another option on the menu: (System>About>Roku Account)  and everything about my device is shown from it's unique serial number to my own IP and MAC addresses.   Again a bit more information than I care to be displayed so easily.  

I know, I know.  Most people might be comfortable about this.  It's a personal choice/non issue-or should be-if it be wasn't so available so readily with a couple of button pushing.  I prefer to limit access just to my Roku account on my Chromebook which I am happen to be using right now.  Most people are comfortable with everything pretty much out in the open.  I rather limit even such abbreviated information to my formal Roku account.  Not displayed on the device.  No choice in the matter.  I don't care for that at all.  The Chromecast one major strength over Roku is the lack of needing to use any credit card directly on the device and don't readily display any addresses or other information-even shortened-on it.

jeffrok

Tue Sep 10, 2019 4:48 pm

If someone steals your Roku, they are NOT stealing your credit card. For the second time. The thieves may have access to the last four digits of it in a settings screen, but that's it. No billing info gets stored in the Roku. Prove me wrong and I'll admit I'm wrong, but other than stealing a movie or two (to your account, to boot), there's nothing else they can do with that info.

I think you're being paranoid.
Yeah, I got some Rokus.

Iona-D

Sat Sep 14, 2019 11:26 am

Tsk, tsk, Resorting to name calling now?  Well, I guess I have to be more open about exactly where my Roku is being used then and now.  It will be a bit long reply this time but will settle some major beefs I have with my Roku.

Perhaps a bit of clarification is warranted here.  I don’t live in a typical single family dwelling that you-and most others-probably live in.  Whether it be a detached house or even a traditional apartment.  Because of the high cost of living in my particular region (Southern California-especially for housing prices for both rental and home ownership), I live in-not by my choice-what you would call a communal living situation.  This arraignment  is called various names over the years: rooming houses, shared living quarters, multiple people squeezed together, Craigslist renters ...the names go on and on, but the basic idea is the same.  Lack of, or complete loss of, basic privacy most people (like probably you) take for granted.  

Others freely accessing your possessions (with or without your permission), is one of the downsides of this arraignment.   Which is where my own problem with my Roku comes in.  If one of my so-called “roomies” decide to go in my “private” unlockable living area and play with my equally unlockable electronic possessions,  I can’t do much about it.  That includes my television, WiFi access, Chromecast, and the Roku.  They cannot be easily locked up in a physical strong box with a very nice physical lock like my Chromebook & smartphone could be or simply taken everywhere in my bag like the smartphone is usually.  Or even protected with some sort of password and/or finger print options as the Chromebook, Router, and the Smartphone has as well.  I could leave those protected devices out in the open should I need to leave for a few minutes without someone playing around with them.  No my "roomies" don't steal like the way you might envision them to do (like actually walking off with the device), but I choose to hold on as much information as possible.  Simply put, I don't care for others to know I have a credit card around here in the first place!  Even displaying just 4 digits alerts them that I have a credit card.  I will be constantly hit up for money or cigarettes at every turn here! if my "roomies" even suspect you have  access to these things via cash or credit card!

If the people at Roku deem that they want their devices to show all this information that I should have a say in whether I want this information displayed so easily or not, that is their decision.  I know how limited my influence there is.  The company seems to design and intend  it’s devices to be in homes where a stable family unit resides.  I am surprised at this as the Company HQ is located in Northern CA.   They seem to have a worse housing situation than we have down here!  I don’t understand how the R&D group overlook this important variable.    I would not be surprise that not only many to most of their employees live in similar housing situations like I do, but could live out of their cars or on someone’s couch-or worse- and may not even have a proper electric plug to even use their own products!  

So back to the original post, no I do not recommend these products to be used in a shared public access living conditions  like I do or in nursing homes at this time[font=Roboto, sans-serif] simply because Roku does not provide some sort of option to have some choice or control in this important matter. If I don’t care for information to be displayed, I should have a way or option to stop it or protect it in some other way.  Like a password option to keep unwanted intrusion in shared living quarters like many other electronic products offer in their simplest models. This should be anyone’s choice & goes without saying.[/font]

I decided to exercise my choice in another unintended way recently.  My Roku is in another place now.  I sent it off to a dear friend who I don’t care if he looks at my credit card information or not.  He has full access to everything I have on that device and absolutely loves it.  I still could go back & see programs on it from time to time at his place.  I still have the formal Roku account in my name and pay for some channels/apps with the same displayed credit card with money in it. I am still a Roku owner just like everyone else here.  That’s the crucial difference.  Not paranoia as you think,  just not enough control over my personal information should be displayed like my other devices.  So it’s physically out for now.  Even though I liked it much better than my Chromecast.

My television and Chromecast are still here in my living space because they don’t display information that I don’t want them to.  My television is “dumb” using OTA broadcasts most of the time and my Chromecast only works with my already protected Router, Chromebook & Smartphone for streaming when I want to do that. Without my protected devices it does not work and so it's useless to anyone else. The Roku Ultra will be welcomed back into the fold here when it either no longer displays unwanted information without some sort of protection  or does not display it in the first place.  A simple matter of exercising choice and solving a problem in an unintended way on my part.

Now it's time to move on........