Your Digital Media Has Never Looked So Good

UtopiaNemo
Topic Author

Roku Premiere+ suddenly only passes stereo

Mon Sep 09, 2019 5:22 am

I’ve been using my current setup to listen to Atmos audio from both UHD Blu-Rays and streaming Atmos from Vudu (and I think Amazon Prime). However, for some reason, all of the sudden I’m only getting stereo from my Roku.
I have a Roku Premiere+, fed through an OPPO UDP-203, which sends video straight to my Vizio P-65 and audio straight to my Pioneer Elite SC-95.
Any ideas? The Oppo sends multichannel audio from UHD Blu-Rays, in both legacy and object-oriented formats, without issue. This leads me to suspect the problem is with the Roku. I double-checked the Roku settings; nothing had changed: audio is set to Auto (Dolby Digital Plus, DTS), and HDMI is set for Auto detect, although I also tried setting it to forced DD+ and DTS, as well as forced DD and DTS....but it still just outputs stereo, on all the apps I use (Vudu, Netflix, and Amazon Prime).
Additionally, I did an HDMI bandwidth check in the display settings and it’s showing my throughput as 4K HDR at 60Hz (with HDCP 2.2). And the TV shows it’s getting a 2160P HDR signal consistently, so it’s not an HDMI bandwidth issue.

Lastly, on the advice of folks on a different forum, I removed the Oppo from the chain and fed the Roku directly into my receiver, even using different high speed HDMI cables. Same result: stereo only out of the Roku.

Heyitsrick

Re: Roku Premiere+ suddenly only passes stereo

Mon Sep 09, 2019 10:09 am

Short of anything else (at the moment) to suggest, I'd power-cycle the receiver.  I have a much lower-end Pioneer Elite, but when I say power-cycle, I mean making sure it doesn't just go into standby mode, but rather full power OFF mode - no blue standby light.  On mine, I can press and hold the power button until it totally shuts off. But you can also just unplug it while it's already in standby mode, wait about 30 seconds or so, and then plug it back in.

No change?

Then try a different HDMI input on the receiver. Maybe there's some handshaking/EDID issue going on that a fresh HDMI input might cure.  

UtopiaNemo
Topic Author

Mon Sep 09, 2019 12:18 pm

Heyitsrick wrote:
Short of anything else (at the moment) to suggest, I'd power-cycle the receiver.  I have a much lower-end Pioneer Elite, but when I say power-cycle, I mean making sure it doesn't just go into standby mode, but rather full power OFF mode - no blue standby light.  On mine, I can press and hold the power button until it totally shuts off. But you can also just unplug it while it's already in standby mode, wait about 30 seconds or so, and then plug it back in.

No change?

Then try a different HDMI input on the receiver. Maybe there's some handshaking/EDID issue going on that a fresh HDMI input might cure.  

Thank you. I haven’t tried power cycling the receiver....I’ll try it, but I’m not sure why the receiver would decode Atmos on that output from the Oppo but not for the Roku.

UtopiaNemo
Topic Author

Mon Sep 09, 2019 10:36 pm

UtopiaNemo wrote:
Heyitsrick wrote:

No change?

Thank you. I haven’t tried power cycling the receiver....I’ll try it, but I’m not sure why the receiver would decode Atmos on that output from the Oppo but not for the Roku.

Welp, I discovered that I had Roku Volume Control was on. Disabling that, THEN power cycling everything did the trick. THANK YOU!!

Heyitsrick

Tue Sep 10, 2019 10:39 am

Ah, great. I should have thought about the volume control thing, as that's come up before. Glad it's working out.