Your Digital Media Has Never Looked So Good

drphibes13
Topic Author

[Resolved] Spotify September 10th update crashes Roku

Tue Sep 10, 2019 1:43 pm

Spotify pushed an update today that crashes/freezes Roku until it reboots on its own altogether on my Roku Stick+
I've tried uninstalling and reinstalling the channel, but still no luck. Anyone else having this same issue with the September 10th update?

RokuTannerD

Re: Spotify September 10th update crashes Roku

Tue Sep 10, 2019 3:17 pm

Thanks for letting us know what you are seeing. Have you contacted Spotify support to report the issue you are seeing with their channel (app) on the Roku platform? 

After removing the channel from the Roku home screen, make sure to restart your device from Settings>System>System restart before adding the channel back again. 

If you are still observing the issue, please try checking for system update from Settings>System>System update 

Please feel free to send me a PM with your Roku account email address and the serial number of your device from Settings>System>About if still unresolved, and I'll help pass your feedback along to the channel provider. 

Thanks,
Tanner
Tanner D.
Roku Community Manager

swalk3r

Tue Sep 10, 2019 4:27 pm

I am seeing this as well. I have a Roku 3/4200X with software 9.1.0 build 4919-04. I deleted Spotify, restarted the Roku, and reinstalled Spotify and get the same issue: try to open Spotify and the Roku restarts.

drphibes13
Topic Author

Tue Sep 10, 2019 5:01 pm

Thanks, everyone. Spotify has already pushed out another update, and the issue seems to be resolved now.

muhcrackin

Re: [Resolved] Spotify September 10th update crashes Roku

Thu Sep 12, 2019 4:18 pm

I'm seeing this same issue today; Spotify crashes the Roku any time you try to open it.

I've tried the following a few times now:
  1. Uninstalled the Spotify app
  2. Restarted the Roku
  3. Reinstalled the Spotify app (tried both from the device and from channelstore.roku.com)
3900X Roku Express 9.1.0 (build 4919-51)
Spotify 2.7 (build 16)

Anyone else still seeing this issue?

RokuTannerD

Thu Sep 12, 2019 4:26 pm

Thanks for letting us know what you're seeing here. A couple questions: 

- How many channels are currently installed on your device? 
- Have you tried removing some unused channels and seeing if this clears up the issue? 
- Have you tried checking for a system update in Settings>System>system update>Check now to see if this resolves the issue? 
- Are all other channels working correctly on your device? 

Please keep us posted from there!

Thanks,
Tanner
Tanner D.
Roku Community Manager

muhcrackin

Thu Sep 12, 2019 4:31 pm

Thanks for the quick reply!

Unaware that it was just Spotify at first, I actually did a complete factory reset before finding this forum.
There are currently only 3 channels: Netflix, YouTube, and Spotify. Both Netflix and YouTube work fine.
There are no updates available.

Badder2

Thu Sep 12, 2019 5:43 pm

I am having the same issue.

Roku software version 9.1.0 build 4919-29
Spotify version 2.7 build 16

Have tried all tips above. Still crashes and reboots when I try and load from Roku and when I use Spotify connect.

daddygeek123

Fri Sep 13, 2019 8:07 am

I am also having this issue yesterday and today. Any attempt to use Spotify crashes the Roku Express +.

swalk3r

Fri Sep 13, 2019 3:04 pm

swalk3r wrote:
I am seeing this as well. I have a Roku 3/4200X with software 9.1.0 build 4919-04. I deleted Spotify, restarted the Roku, and reinstalled Spotify and get the same issue: try to open Spotify and the Roku restarts.

This issue is now resolved for me, at least. Seems to be working fine again.

RokuTannerD

Fri Sep 13, 2019 5:01 pm

Please try removing the channel, restarting your device from Settings>system>System restart. Once your device loads up again, add the channel back again from 'Streaming channels'. Then, visit Settings>System>System update>Check now and perform a system update. This should resolve the issue. 

If not, please follow up with the channel provider's support team to report the issue you are seeing and request additional assistance if other channels on your device are still working normally. You can reach Spotify support here: https://support.spotify.com/us/

Thanks,
Tanner
Tanner D.
Roku Community Manager

Saffron007

Sat Sep 14, 2019 6:32 pm

I removed Spotify, ensured updates were complete, restarted the system then reinstalled spotify DID NOT WORK!

glomond

Sun Sep 15, 2019 9:17 am

I am also having the same issues.

Followed all instructions on this post and still Spotify keeps crashing.

I also checked if the Spotify App was up to date, it was.

Please advise as to your progress in resolving this.

RokuTannerD

Mon Sep 16, 2019 10:28 am

We are still not able to reproduce this issue. 

The next step in troubleshooting from here would be to perform a factory reset of your device, then setting it up again anew. This will clear all channel and login data from your device, and allow you to set it up again from scratch. You can see the steps for this here: https://support.roku.com/article/208757008-how-do-i-factory-reset-my-roku-streaming-device-

If that still isn't resolving the issue with Spotify and other channel are working correctly, you'll want to follow up with Spotify support to report the issue and request additional assistance with their channel on the Roku platform. You can reach them here: https://support.spotify.com/us/article/how-can-i-contact-spotify/?in_footer

Feel free to send me a PM with your Roku account email address, the serial number of your device from Settings>System>About, and I can also help pass your report along to the channel provider. 

Thanks,
Tanner
Tanner D.
Roku Community Manager