Your Digital Media Has Never Looked So Good

tvollmer
Topic Author

New Roku user, no surround capability

Tue Sep 17, 2019 6:24 am

I just bought a Roku premiere box (3920X) and hooked it to my Yamaha AVR (RX-V463) just like the old Dish sat dvr box, with the other HDMI to the TV.  I've tried every possible combination of Audio and HDMI variables in the Settings and cannot get any 5.1 surround.  Only 2 speaker stereo for any Netflix/Amazon movies, etc.  Recycled, retried other HDMI cables, etc.  What am I missing, doing wrong?  Thanks!

trekkeriii
** Valued Community Member **

Re: New Roku user, no surround capability

Tue Sep 17, 2019 6:53 am

tvollmer wrote:
I just bought a Roku premiere box (3920X) and hooked it to my Yamaha AVR (RX-V463) just like the old Dish sat dvr box, with the other HDMI to the TV.  I've tried every possible combination of Audio and HDMI variables in the Settings and cannot get any 5.1 surround.  Only 2 speaker stereo for any Netflix/Amazon movies, etc.  Recycled, retried other HDMI cables, etc.  What am I missing, doing wrong?  Thanks!

That AVR might not support the Dolby Digital Plus format, which is different than the standard Dolby Digital.
http://trekkeriii.com/Roku_PHP_list.php
Router - ASUS RT-AC68U
ISP - TWC - 50 Mbps/5 Mbps
Net+ Cert

tvollmer
Topic Author

Tue Sep 17, 2019 7:02 am

trekkeriii wrote:
tvollmer wrote:

That AVR might not support the Dolby Digital Plus format, which is different than the standard Dolby Digital.

Ok, thanks for that info.  I just looked it up and you are correct, the V463 supports Dolby Digital 5.1, DTS 5.1, and Dolby Pro Logic II...but not Dolby Digital Plus.  So it looks like I need a new AVR that supports DD+.  Guess I should treat myself to that and new speakers.  :)

trekkeriii
** Valued Community Member **

Tue Sep 17, 2019 7:53 pm

tvollmer wrote:
trekkeriii wrote:
tvollmer wrote:

Ok, thanks for that info.  I just looked it up and you are correct, the V463 supports Dolby Digital 5.1, DTS 5.1, and Dolby Pro Logic II...but not Dolby Digital Plus.  So it looks like I need a new AVR that supports DD+.  Guess I should treat myself to that and new speakers.  :)

Future-proof yourself and get something that takes 4k HDR formats as well via HDMI ports. That way if you want to take advantage of the 4K on that Roku, you can.
http://trekkeriii.com/Roku_PHP_list.php
Router - ASUS RT-AC68U
ISP - TWC - 50 Mbps/5 Mbps
Net+ Cert