Your Digital Media Has Never Looked So Good

Krull
Topic Author

I will NOT be joining new ROKU Forum

Fri Sep 20, 2019 1:33 am

I keep getting nagging messages to make sure my email matches my Roku(s)

I will not COMPLY

I will not have Roku doing even more SPYING on me, then selling data on me without my real consent (consent with a gun to your head).

I suggest others also refuse to comply.

twiceover

Re: I will NOT be joining new ROKU Forum

Fri Sep 20, 2019 4:19 am

Krull wrote:

I will not COMPLY

I will not have Roku doing even more SPYING on me, then selling data on me without my real consent (consent with a gun to your head).

It needs to match so they can verify you are a legit Roku customer as a spam prevention.
Not everything is a conspiracy.  I mean, they already have your email address, what more does matching it with your Forum profile do?  "Oh know!  They now know my problems with the device!!!"

jeffrok
** Valued Community Member **

Fri Sep 20, 2019 4:28 am

Krull wrote:

I will not COMPLY

Hilarious.
Yeah, I got some Rokus.
https://youtu.be/d1CSEeqWl10

37mediagroup

Fri Sep 20, 2019 4:48 am

Krull was a great movie, btw.  :D

twiceover

Fri Sep 20, 2019 5:39 am

37mediagroup wrote:

The arcade game was awesome.  I played a ton of that as a kid.

37mediagroup

Fri Sep 20, 2019 5:52 am

twiceover wrote:
37mediagroup wrote:

The arcade game was awesome.  I played a ton of that as a kid.

Yeah it was.  Throwing that boomerang around

makaiguy

Fri Sep 20, 2019 6:50 am

Roku 3, 4200X, Ser 4124C7087583, wifi connected - Samsung UN55ES6100

Iona-D

Fri Sep 20, 2019 2:14 pm

Krull, feel free to exercise your personal choice in the matter!

atc98092

Fri Sep 20, 2019 3:58 pm

Krull, go in peace. I think you're off base, but you are entitled to your feelings and beliefs. 
Dan
Nvidia Shield, Roku Stick (3600), Ultra (4640), Premiere (3920), Insignia 720p Roku TV, Sharp 4K Roku TV, Windows 10 Pro x64 running Serviio and Plex on a wired Gigabit network.

peatrick

Fri Sep 20, 2019 8:25 pm

I mean, he's not wrong here about the data collection, it's fairly rampant... check out my DNS blacklists (for the IoT "untrusted" VLAN):

The only device(s) we have which are anywhere even close as chatty would be the Google Home smart speakers, but we have four of them compared with a single Roku TV and they still generated less (combined) requests than the tv.  I highly recommend everyone implement some form of DNS blacklisting on their networks.  I've found Pi-hole to be both wonderful and fairly easy to set up, but is by no means the only way to approach this. 

trekkeriii

Fri Sep 20, 2019 8:36 pm

peatrick wrote:
I mean, he's not wrong here about the data collection, it's fairly rampant... check out my DNS blacklists (for the IoT "untrusted" VLAN):

The only device(s) we have which are anywhere even close as chatty would be the Google Home smart speakers, but we have four of them compared with a single Roku TV and they still generated less (combined) requests than the tv.  I highly recommend everyone implement some form of DNS blacklisting on their networks.  I've found Pi-hole to be both wonderful and fairly easy to set up, but is by no means the only way to approach this. 

I am guessing Roku devices are uploading error log data. That might be why they ask for your Serial Number, so they can look at logs to see what the issue might be when someone is reporting issues. Since Roku itself doesn't have much storage, has to have someplace to put the logs.
http://trekkeriii.com/Roku_PHP_list.php
Router - ASUS RT-AC68U
ISP - TWC - 50 Mbps/5 Mbps
Net+ Cert

jeffrok

Fri Sep 20, 2019 9:21 pm

Iona-D wrote:

As off-base at it is.

Enjoy your flat Earth, too.
Last edited by jeffrok on Sat Sep 21, 2019 4:24 am, edited 1 time in total.
Yeah, I got some Rokus.

trekkeriii

Fri Sep 20, 2019 9:37 pm

jeffrok wrote:
Iona-D wrote:

As.ofd-base at it is.

We should probably not be insulting people regardless of their posts. Just saying....
http://trekkeriii.com/Roku_PHP_list.php
Router - ASUS RT-AC68U
ISP - TWC - 50 Mbps/5 Mbps
Net+ Cert

jeffrok

Sat Sep 21, 2019 4:25 am

Sorry, just tired of the unfounded paranoia that the internet has become..

People need to do their due diligence, and make sure they're right when they get up on their soap boxes. Too much speculation and fear over nothing these days.
Yeah, I got some Rokus.

Iona-D

Sun Sep 22, 2019 11:42 am

jeffrok wrote:
Iona-D wrote:

As off-base at it is.

Krull, continue to exercise your choices and US given and hard won Free Speech right.  We worked hard to see that you can still exercise it whereever and whenever you please.   That was I was referring to, not what was taken off track by post robbers .  jeffrok this is your own answer for your ignorance and now childish woman bashing spanning several places on these forums.  It is nothing what you'd expected: 
My family left the old country more than a century ago. We existed long before your precious United States even existed.   We were Boyar when you and yours were just ragged dirty unbathe reeking with stink  peasants, begging for your alms, & dropping dead from the Black Plague.  We all were educated in the finest universities in the latest technologies and ideas of any age both in the old country and later here in the United States long before your unplanned birth. 

We left before World War One since  the empire was about to fall as all empires do eventually to continue our family’s line and contribute over here and now globally as in our own way.   Do not lecture me on such trivial silly non-concepts like  flat vs round world.  You obviously were falling asleep during your US history class shows very clearly your failure to grasp even simple basic things like Freedom Of Speech.   We are already decorated with your-this new very blessed -country’s highest honours,  protecting you and yours way before 9/11 and your never stable fancy technology even existed even though you don’t deserve it.  You claim to be a citizen of the United States Of America discussing your and mine Rokus  yet you still hide behind the computer screen abusing targeted women with pure hatred and racor  A real woman hater in the making.

I chose to leave my now US based family behind and risk my personal safety in these new Counties of San Diego, Orange, Los Angeles, Ventura, and Santa Barbara. Already filled with dangerous creepy misfits just like you.  I chose my choice of freedom to live here even in a rooming house filled with misfits-with the stipulation that Roku does some basic fine tuning of displaying information so freely. Since I could not wait for them to get around to it (it probably will never happen), I exercise my right to do whatever I wanted with my Roku Ultra after it’s legal purchase from a Roku recognizable dealer and then transfer it into my possessions.  LIke send it away if I choose to.   Or bring it back if I want.  Or both.  Or nether.  Perhaps I just simply chose to toss it in the trash.   Perfectly legal in any country, in any time period, in any way.  It is my choice now, so MYOB as in this country’s own parlance.

Don’t lecture or attack me anymore on anything,  jeffock, who is now renamed “Persoană necunoscută, credincios mitul lui Dracula și alte astfel de prostii.” în the old country’s language from now on. Do Copy & Paste it in your own new Roku Forums Own Name.  It is really you and most other Americans, that's for sure!
(Your schools don’t teach other languages like in Europe, just playing around with too soon useless technology that will be obsolete well before the class even goes to the next grade.  Have fun figuring out my real ancient yet so modern origins.You can’t handle we really exist and are all are very resourceful and far more active contributors here in the same country as you than you are!) 

I know what will happen here on this post right after this is posted.  I have spoken and that's enough for me.  I am who I am and still proud that some of the satellites presently floating around up there and still functioning for you to play with right this minute  were developed, built, and launched by one of my now American born female family members-yes another woman scientist in our family-along with the men!     So Roku can take advantage to directly or indirectly  stream based on whatever internet connection is used by either the provider or the end user customer.  Long before you were able to vent here as Roku did not even exist then.

Happy Streaming!-You all know now where it comes from.