Your Digital Media Has Never Looked So Good

Wondercow
Topic Author

I hate to be a downer, but . . .

Mon May 19, 2008 9:02 pm

Looks good guys, except for the possibility of putting off customers though incorrect advertising. Your ad copy states "guaranteed to work with your TV". Great! My parents have an older TV that lacks any A/V input except for the coax terminal. So this'll work with it, right? Oh, wait:
Whatever kind of TV you have, the Netflix Player is guaranteed to work with it. Connect to the latest HDTV or one that you’ve had for years. With standard RCA jacks, S-video, component video, HDMI, and optical audio, the Player will work with virtually any TV, AV receiver, or home theater system.

So it's guaranteed to work with my TV, no matter what kind of TV I have, but it won't work with my TV. It's guaranteed to work with my TV, no matter what kind of TV I have, but only when "no matter what kind" falls into these specific kinds.
~Moo!
-----------------------
iTunes, iPod, iMac, iPhone, not Itunes, IPod, IMAC, iphone
MAC = Media Access Control while Mac = a brand of computers

mr rusty

Mon May 19, 2008 11:40 pm

virtually any TV, AV receiver, or home theater system.

Oh come on. Lets be in the real world here. Its like saying a car accessory will work with all cars and someone spouting up that their 1951 whatever has positive earth and it won't work with that!!

People with coax only TVs are hardly likely to be pushing the envelope with bleeding edge technology.

:P :P

stretch

Tue May 20, 2008 3:14 am

It doesn't have a SCART connector so I'd have to use an adaptor :P
2 x M2000's
Infrant ReadyNAS NV+ with Firefly svn-1676
NSLU2, 500GB Maxtor One Touch III, uNSLUng 6.8, Firefly svn-1696
music library in FLAC format

Burkhardi

Re: I hate to be a downer, but . . .

Tue May 20, 2008 4:51 am

I have a spare RCA to RF box if you want it, I'll PM you about it. It will work perfect for you and its still new in the box. I bought it for my aunt and uncle to use (I was going to buy them a Cyberlink DVD player), but they got rid of their wood burning TV and got a TV/DVD comobo before I could act on it, so here it sits in my closet. I can send it to you as a "gift" (which will help with customs taxes too) all you need to do is pay me back for the shipping...

Wondercow wrote:
Looks good guys, except for the possibility of putting off customers though incorrect advertising. Your ad copy states "guaranteed to work with your TV". Great! My parents have an older TV that lacks any A/V input except for the coax terminal. So this'll work with it, right? Oh, wait:
Whatever kind of TV you have, the Netflix Player is guaranteed to work with it. Connect to the latest HDTV or one that you’ve had for years. With standard RCA jacks, S-video, component video, HDMI, and optical audio, the Player will work with virtually any TV, AV receiver, or home theater system.

So it's guaranteed to work with my TV, no matter what kind of TV I have, but it won't work with my TV. It's guaranteed to work with my TV, no matter what kind of TV I have, but only when "no matter what kind" falls into these specific kinds.
Roku3 and Roku HD1000 [Rev B] on a Samsung HLP5674W DLP in the living room; a Roku2 and two Roku XS and a few SoundBridges.Win7; Kubuntu and XP via RT-N66U, E2000 and a switch or two. I own stock in Roku, it's just all in the form of hardware.Viva la Roku

Wondercow
Topic Author

Tue May 20, 2008 8:49 am

mr rusty wrote:
virtually any TV, AV receiver, or home theater system.

Oh come on. Lets be in the real world here. Its like saying a car accessory will work with all cars and someone spouting up that their 1951 whatever has positive earth and it won't work with that!!

People with coax only TVs are hardly likely to be pushing the envelope with bleeding edge technology.

:P :P

Yes, let's be realistic. Coax-only TVs are still sold. A lot of people look for price over performance or function and don't realise that the cheap TV they buy from the grocery store doesn't do what it should. While I agree that they are unlikely to buy this product, "unlikely" does not equal "will not" and it doesn't make the claim any more true.
Last edited by Wondercow on Tue May 20, 2008 10:24 pm, edited 1 time in total.
~Moo!

-----------------------

Wondercow
Topic Author

Re: I hate to be a downer, but . . .

Tue May 20, 2008 8:59 am

Burkhardi wrote:
I have a spare RCA to RF box if you want it, I'll PM you about it. It will work perfect for you and its still new in the box. I bought it for my aunt and uncle to use (I was going to buy them a Cyberlink DVD player), but they got rid of their wood burning TV and got a TV/DVD comobo before I could act on it, so here it sits in my closet. I can send it to you as a "gift" (which will help with customs taxes too) all you need to do is pay me back for the shipping...

Thanks for the offer (seriously!) but my folks already have an RF converter for their DVD player. They got the DVD player two years ago (of course, without consulting me first) and were disappointed when they couldn't connect it. With millions of these TVs out there it's not the best way to describe the product.
~Moo!

-----------------------

mr rusty

Tue May 20, 2008 12:10 pm

Coax-only TVs are still sold

don't take this the wrong way, but... I haven't seen a coax only TV for a *very* long time - I am sure they are not sold here. All UK/EU TV's have scarts which are simply converted to RCA's with a gender changer plug.

Wondercow
Topic Author

Tue May 20, 2008 12:29 pm

mr rusty wrote:
Coax-only TVs are still sold

don't take this the wrong way, but... I haven't seen a coax only TV for a *very* long time - I am sure they are not sold here. All UK/EU TV's have scarts which are simply converted to RCA's with a gender changer plug.

I'm talking generally about North America and specifically about Canada. And though they are rare to buy new, *a lot* of people will have older TVs with coax only (in North America anyway).
~Moo!

-----------------------

dgburns

Tue May 20, 2008 8:14 pm

Wondercow wrote:
I'm talking generally about North America and specifically about Canada. And though they are rare to buy new, *a lot* of people will have older TVs with coax only (in North America anyway).

Especially the DC powered TV's intended for mobile (i.e. in an RV or whatever) use. They're also left behind by the DTV transition Feb 09 unless they buy a "box".

That said, a composite to RF adapter is what, like $10 a Radio Shack???

But I'd agree "guaranteed" is pretty strong...
HD-1500 RevB #1 (media room)
Mitsubishi WD-62528 62" LCD RPTV
Kenwood VR-407 receiver w/PSB Alpha's
PS/3 60GB (now 250GB) w/750GB Seagate ext
M1000 (upstairs)
HD-1000 RevB #2 (bedroom)
Visco 32" LCD
AR 2.1 audio system
PS/2

speedy99

Wed May 21, 2008 7:59 pm

dgburns wrote:

It *is* guaranteed. "30-day money-back guarantee". Plus 1 year warranty, which should be plenty of time to find issues and get a replacement if needed.

Wondercow
Topic Author

Wed May 21, 2008 8:57 pm

speedy99 wrote:
dgburns wrote:

It *is* guaranteed. "30-day money-back guarantee". Plus 1 year warranty, which should be plenty of time to find issues and get a replacement if needed.

The guarantee in question the compatibility guarantee, not the return policy. If you're serious in thinking that they are one in the same, think of it this way: if that were the case Roku could advertise "guaranteed connectivity with x shoes & rusty spoons!" :shock:
~Moo!

-----------------------

flaminghomer

Mon Dec 15, 2008 12:29 pm

Wondercow: compatibilty issues aside, how would you use the Netflix player anyway when they don't offer service in Canada?

Unless you know something I don't. I'm from the States and one of the few things I miss in Canada is Netflix. I would really like to be able to get one of these.
flaminghomer

QuantumIguana

Mon Dec 15, 2008 4:01 pm

I can guarantee that the Roku box will work with TVs that only have RF inputs. It requires an advanced technology known as a VCR. Just plug the audio and the composite video out of the Roku box into the audio and composite video in of the VCR, and the Roku box will work just fine with the TV.

DoomsDay

Mon Dec 15, 2008 7:17 pm

Wondercow wrote:
speedy99 wrote:
dgburns wrote:

The guarantee in question the compatibility guarantee, not the return policy. If you're serious in thinking that they are one in the same, think of it this way: if that were the case Roku could advertise "guaranteed connectivity with x shoes & rusty spoons!" :shock:

Actually it WILL work with any tv. But you MAY be required to buy an adapter but it WILL work with that tv after you put in the adapter.

jgeezy24

Lessons.

Tue Dec 23, 2008 7:32 am

Well fisrt of all, you might want to look up the definition of a guarantee in advertising. It doesn't mean that it WILL work on your TV, it means that they will give your money back if it DOESN'T.