Your Digital Media Has Never Looked So Good

sethlow
Topic Author

Multiple Netflicks Roku - 1 netflicks account - This OK?

Fri Jun 06, 2008 10:03 am

Hi,
Is there an issue with having two or three Netflicks Roku on 1 Netflicks account? I want them to all share the queue. I assume that they could all be used simultaneously. Is this even possible? What kind of issues can I expect?

P.S. They might even be in different physical locations (vacation home).

teddman

Fri Jun 06, 2008 10:17 am

You can use as many boxes simultaneously as you have DVD's out in your plan. So far example, with a 3-out plan, you can have 3 boxes going at the same time. Whether your broadband speed would support that very well is another question...

RokuJojo

Fri Jun 06, 2008 10:20 am

So, here is the deal. As per Netflix limitation of course and you might want to verify with Netflix to be extra sure as they can change this at any time.

The answer is, depending on the plan you have with Netflix. Let's say, you have a 2 out unlimited plan - you are entitled to 2 stream limits which means you will only be allowed to stream 2 at a time (PC and NP or combination of each one). You are however entitled to have 4 NP box to be registered under you account and not more. If you have 3 out unlimited plan, you can do 3 simultaneous streams (could be 3 NP). If you have 4 out unlimited and above, you are entitled to 4 simultaneous streams. Here is the simple formula:

NF Plan / Simultaneous Streams Allowed
----------------------------------------------
2U / 2 streams
3U / 3 streams
4U / 4 streams
5U / 4 streams
6U / 4 streams
7U / 4 streams
8U / 4 streams

Therefore, you can have up to 4 NF player by Roku but as long as you do not play them all at the same time based on your NF plan above.

tpapa

Thu Jul 10, 2008 6:50 am

RokuJojo wrote:
So, here is the deal. As per Netflix limitation of course and you might want to verify with Netflix to be extra sure as they can change this at any time.

The answer is, depending on the plan you have with Netflix. Let's say, you have a 2 out unlimited plan - you are entitled to 2 stream limits which means you will only be allowed to stream 2 at a time (PC and NP or combination of each one). You are however entitled to have 4 NP box to be registered under you account and not more. If you have 3 out unlimited plan, you can do 3 simultaneous streams (could be 3 NP). If you have 4 out unlimited and above, you are entitled to 4 simultaneous streams. Here is the simple formula:

NF Plan / Simultaneous Streams Allowed
----------------------------------------------
2U / 2 streams
3U / 3 streams
4U / 4 streams
5U / 4 streams
6U / 4 streams
7U / 4 streams
8U / 4 streams

Therefore, you can have up to 4 NF player by Roku but as long as you do not play them all at the same time based on your NF plan above.

What is the definition of simultaneous? Can I be on the one disk plan and have 2 boxes but just not have them going at the same time? In other words, can I have a box on my living room tv and bedroom tv but just never have them running at the same time ? (I live alone)

zonkerboy

Can I have 2 roku's on 2 different netflix playlists?

Mon Jul 14, 2008 3:09 pm

I'm very pleased with my Roku. I have Netflix for up to 4 DVDs so assuming I have network bandwidth I can have more than one Roku going simultaneously. Here's what I'd like. I'd like a Roku on our main TV, and I'd like a Roku on the kid's gameroom PC.

Is it possible to have 2 different netflix 'play now' lists.. 1 for the adults and 1 for the kids?

This would be great because then I could give my kids full control of their own Roku and keep the parent titles in a separate queue for the main tv.

plooger

Mon Jul 14, 2008 3:12 pm

RokuJojo wrote:
... You are however entitled to have 4 NP box to be registered under you account and not more. ... Therefore, you can have up to 4 NF player by Roku ...

I have to bolt for dinner right now, but the followup question I have is... is the limit of 4 devices strictly "Roku" devices or a maximum of 4 "Instant Watch" devices.

For example, if I want to sometimes Instant Watch via my PC, does my PC then consume one of my device allocations and so I can now use a maximum of 3 Roku devices? And, this Fall, when the Xbox 360 officially enables Instant Watch, will that also consume one of my device allocations, so I'm down to a maximum of 2 Roku devices (in combination with 1 PC and 1 Xbox 360)?

celving

Mon Jul 14, 2008 3:41 pm

zonkerboy wrote:
Is it possible to have 2 different netflix 'play now' lists.. 1 for the adults and 1 for the kids?

No, not with one account. You'll need two separate Netflix accounts to get two separate instant queues.

plooger wrote:
I have to bolt for dinner right now, but the followup question I have is... is the limit of 4 devices strictly "Roku" devices or a maximum of 4 "Instant Watch" devices.

There's a maximum of 8 that's split between PCs and non-PC devices. You can use 4 PCs and 4 non-PC (Roku, Xbox) devices.

wonderbird

Separate Watch Now queues...

Wed Jul 16, 2008 2:33 pm

As far as I can tell it is not possible to have separate queues in the Roku / Netflix Player queues at this time. What I have done is put all the "kiddie movies" at the end of the queue and bump the "adult movies" to the top of the queue when I add them.

This way what I want to see is at the beginning of the list and what my kids want to see is at the end of the list...

charliehoward

Netflix says "only one stream at a time per account&

Fri Jul 18, 2008 11:16 am

I just spoke with someone at Netflix about running two simultaneous streams on one account. He said he was not an expert, but would ask someone who was. The expert said a single account can have only one stream running a time, regardless of how many discs at a time we're paying for. He said that, to have two simultaneous streams would require two separate accounts.

This seems to contradict what some other people here have said. So, my question to the Forum is whether anyone has actually run more than one Instant stream simultaneously from one Netflix account?
Charlie Howard

DoomsDay

Re: Netflix says "only one stream at a time per account

Fri Jul 18, 2008 11:47 am

charliehoward wrote:
I just spoke with someone at Netflix about running two simultaneous streams on one account. He said he was not an expert, but would ask someone who was. The expert said a single account can have only one stream running a time, regardless of how many discs at a time we're paying for. He said that, to have two simultaneous streams would require two separate accounts.

This seems to contradict what some other people here have said. So, my question to the Forum is whether anyone has actually run more than one Instant stream simultaneously from one Netflix account?

I just tested this out. I have 2 out at a time dvd's. I started the roku box playing a movie and then came to my pc and started another movie. It does in fact play both at the same time. When I was at only 1 dvd at a time, it would not allow me to stream to both at the same time giving me a license error on the pc telling me I could only have 1 stream active. So it does in fact allow you to stream more than one dependent on how many dvd's you have set up to have out at a time. I cant give you a max play stream but I believe the roku guy already stated 4 is the max.

charliehoward

Re: Netflix says "only one stream at a time per account

Fri Jul 18, 2008 12:56 pm

DoomsDay wrote:
I just tested this out. I have 2 out at a time dvd's. I started the roku box playing a movie and then came to my pc and started another movie. It does in fact play both at the same time. When I was at only 1 dvd at a time, it would not allow me to stream to both at the same time giving me a license error on the pc telling me I could only have 1 stream active. So it does in fact allow you to stream more than one dependent on how many dvd's you have set up to have out at a time. I cant give you a max play stream but I believe the roku guy already stated 4 is the max.

Thank you, DoomsDay :D
Charlie Howard

RJP

Fri Jul 18, 2008 2:21 pm

And both of my Roku players (both wired connections) will work at the same time - both at 4 stars. Apparently my internet connection down, at 10mbits/sec, is sufficient bandwidth for two streams.

Oh and you can have up to 4 streams simultaneously (if you have 4 devices and sufficient bandwidth) and up to 8 devices (4 PCs and 4 player boxes)...