Your Digital Media Has Never Looked So Good

zacatum
Topic Author

Audio levels

Thu Jun 12, 2008 11:43 am

While watching couple of movies (The Marsh and Conspiracy) I set the volume so I can hear the conversation comfortably and then if there are any sound effects or music, they are blasting way too loud. If I turn the volume to a desired level, then it's difficult to hear the speech again. I had to play with the volume throughout the both movies and it isn't very pleasant. During the day it isn't a bid deal but we watch movies mostly when the kids are asleep. There are not such issues when playing DVDs or watching TV. The Roku player is connected dorectly to the TV set via HDMI cable.
Any suggestions?

jilapi

Fri Jun 13, 2008 8:48 am

I experience the same problem. Although it's probably not the box's fault, it's the windows media format netflix is using.

wingnutzero

Fri Jun 13, 2008 9:59 am

I noticed that recently watching Return to House on Haunted Hill. But I just assumed that the movie had a bad audio mix, as that sound issue doesn't happen with every movie I watch.

unclebob

Fri Jun 13, 2008 10:49 am

I see this problem a lot on cheap indie movies, where actors often mumble lines in an attempt to evoke intimacy. Since movies are made with the theater environment in mind, there isn't much effort to avoid a wide dynamic range.

The addition of some sort of limiter and/or booster for high and/or low volume sound would help.

glen4cindy

Sun Jul 13, 2008 3:43 pm

I have to turn my sound up for everything on the Roku box.

Regular DirecTv, VHS, DVD work fine.

I just thought it was normal. Everything is working fine otherwise, I just have to turn the sound level up. I don't have the problem of blasting sound effects to have speaking loud enough though.

KenSoren

Sun Jul 13, 2008 8:49 pm

I have the same problem - normal Dish TV volume on the TV is 18 to 20 while the Karate Kid movie through the box needed above 50 to be heard. I use the HDMI connection to my Samsung LCD TV for both the Roku box and the Dish DVR. I tried hooking the audio out connection from the Roku to my stereo and got much better results with a normal volume level.

Maybe there is an audio problem using the HDMI? Anyone else with this problem?

Second thought - have you checked your audio settings on your TV? My Samsung has an "Auto level control" setting that caused some problems until I turned it off.
Ken S
Roku Ultra, Roku 3, Roku 2 and Roku 1
Samsung 65 inch SUHD KS8000 using Samsung smart hub for all connections.

DoomsDay

Mon Jul 14, 2008 12:57 am

I have the same problem. All my sounds go through my AV box. Directv, dvd, wii, all of them have good sound levels. I usually watch tv at volume 3 on my AV unit. When I switch over to the Roku box, even the sounds at the menu set to high, is very low. To hear the sounds good and to watch a movie I will have to set the volume on the AV unit to 5 or even 6 on some movies. I am using component connections for the video (going straight into the tv) and using the audio cable going to the AV unit. So it sounds to me its happening on more then one type of connection and might be something the roku guys can look into.

Darco1

Tue Jul 15, 2008 5:19 pm

Actually I don't think it is a Roku player problem.
If you try to use a PC for playback the same problem exists.
It would appear it is a audio problem in the stream from the Netflix servers.

QuantumIguana

Wed Jul 16, 2008 9:33 am

I have had this problem on a couple titles. We were watching "The Duchess of Duke Street", (A BBC series from the 70s), and to hear the dialog clearly we had to turn the TV way up. There was a considerable amount of hiss when we did this. When the closing music came on, we had to quickly turn it down. It's not that the sound level for the music is too high, just that the sound level for dialog is too low.

Most titles the sound is just fine. I'm connected via HDMI, and I'm pretty sure that it isn't the Roku box. I don't know if it is Netflix itself, or the source material that they are using. The audio of some older DVDs was not mixed properly.

Denver Dave

Sat Oct 25, 2008 9:09 pm

This is a problem for us requiring the constant turning up the volume for voices and down for background sound and is compounded by the absence of closed captions.

teraya

Re: Audio levels

Wed Jan 11, 2012 9:01 pm

If you have a sound system that supports "night mode" or "dynamic range control", you can enable that. It will apply compression to the audio so that there's less dynamic range (the loud bits are not as loud, and the quiet bits are not as quiet). See also, http://answers.yahoo.com/question/index ... 700AAB57dY

kc8pql
** Valued Community Member **

Wed Jan 11, 2012 9:08 pm

^^^This thread is over 3 years old. The hardware and firmware have been updated many times since 2008.
From the Forum Guidelines:
In general, if a thread is more than six months old, it will be best for our moderators if you generate a new thread, to prevent confusion.
____________________________________________________________________________________________________________
No, I don't work for Roku.
Netflix Player N1000X, XDS 2100X (premature death by lightning)
Roku2 XD 3050X, Roku2 XS 3100R, Roku2 4210R

Denver Dave

Thu Jan 12, 2012 10:30 am

Perhaps old thread, but still valid topic. Background sounds are still much louder than conversation. We find ourselves constantly moving the volume up and down.

New information though. In previous threads, we were assured that Roku could handle closed captions. Unfortunately, I guess this was not true, but it is great we can buy a new roku box that does handle closed captions. This may help mitigate the up and down volume issue.

Dave