Your Digital Media Has Never Looked So Good

Dosman!
Topic Author

Quick Wireless Solution for all these wireless issues!

Thu Jul 03, 2008 7:14 am

Hi all,
After fighting with my wireless connection for a few days, I plugged my box into a Wireless/Wired bridge and the difference is amazing.
Using a wired connection out of the Roku box leaves it more confident in your connection and you have less compatibility and connection problems.
My bridge is shared with my Xbox 360, HD-DVD player and HDTV and all the devices live happily, thinking they are on a wired LAN.

Do some research on a bridge that is compatible with your access point and you'll have many happy movie watching experiences from then on!

Patrick

MCWHAMMER

Thu Jul 03, 2008 3:48 pm

I wish I knew how. Seems too confusing for me - the guy who has to listen to popping audio throughout everything I watch. Does your 360 have to be turned on for the bridge to work, or does that not matter?

The problem is, my router is on the desktop computer in a different room than the Big screen with the 360, PS3 and Netflix box. So, I don't understand how you would bridge the Wifi connection from one of the game systems to the Netflix box. If you read an article specifically explaining how to do this, please pass it along.

I have no problems with video quality anymore, all my problems are audio related because Roku will not patch the box and fix the issue.
http://www.listia.com/?r=40548 - The Free eBay
http://twitter.com/MattChance

Grandpa

Fri Jul 04, 2008 6:30 am

MCWHAMMER wrote:
I wish I knew how. Seems too confusing for me - the guy who has to listen to popping audio throughout everything I watch. Does your 360 have to be turned on for the bridge to work, or does that not matter?

The problem is, my router is on the desktop computer in a different room than the Big screen with the 360, PS3 and Netflix box. So, I don't understand how you would bridge the Wifi connection from one of the game systems to the Netflix box. If you read an article specifically explaining how to do this, please pass it along.

I have no problems with video quality anymore, all my problems are audio related because Roku will not patch the box and fix the issue.

I have only occasional audio popping. When it occurs I generally loose the audio for 5 to 10 seconds and then all returns to normal.

This was suggested by horizon in another thread- here:
http://forums.roku.com/viewtopic.php?t= ... f6d3557627

Confirmed: Snap, Crackle and Pop only occurs when using internal Wireless capability,
xargs good work, I have also confirmed your observation. I ran a wired connection from the Netflix box to an external 11g wireless gaming adapter (Linksys WGA54AG). I performed a direct comparison between internal Wireless and Wired-to-WGA54AG (this setup is essentially 'external wireless'). The popping was present when the internal Wireless connection was selected, but when not the Wired connection was selected.

I have just ordered Linksys game adapter and will give it a try.

fshagan

Wed Jul 09, 2008 12:07 am

MCWHAMMER wrote:

Check out this Amazon page for an example of an wireless bridge. Its basically a receiver with ethernet ports that gets the wireless signal and distributes it to any wired ethernet devices you have near it (game boxes, Roku Netflix Box, etc.) Some people have success with these because the reception with the 7 db gain antennas is better than what the stand alone devices have.

The other thing that sometimes works is the HomePlug style devices that use your home's electrical wiring to pass the signal. It all depends on how "clean" your electrical wiring is, and if you have any halogen lights, etc plugged into that same circuit, etc. But some people swear by these things. Just plug one into a wall outlet near your router (not into a power strip!), run ethernet to it, and plug the other one into a wall outlet near your Roku Netflix box and run an ethernet cable from it to the box. If it works, you're golden ... but make sure both options you try are returnable if they don't work (one reason I like Amazon!)