Your Digital Media Has Never Looked So Good

nipper
Topic Author

Audio Issue -- Audience Applause Sounds Horrible

Sat Jul 12, 2008 1:45 pm

I've had an audio issue with two different titles:

Bob & Tom: Comedy All Stars Tour
Jeff Dunham: Spark of Insanity

In those titles, all though-out the video, audience applause sounded horrible...very loud, tinney, unpleasant. The audio sounded fine otherwise...it was just during applause that the issue arose.

I've noticed no problems with other videos.

I'm pretty sure that the Bob & Tom video was playing at 3 stars, the Dunham one at 4 stars.

I haven't watched other videos with audiences to see if it is in others...will do.

Is anyone else having this problem?

scopey

Mon Jul 14, 2008 10:15 am

Applause is a great way to test an audio codec and is frequently used for that purpose because it causes the codec to work real hard. It's not surprising that you're not noticing many/any artifacts until suddenly there is some applause--then you're hearing smeared attacks, imaging problems, possibly bandwidth limiting (like a low pass filter). Common applause coder artifacts are compared to the sound of bacon frying....mmmm, bacon :D

DoomsDay

Re: Audio Issue -- Audience Applause Sounds Horrible

Mon Jul 14, 2008 12:08 pm

nipper wrote:
I've had an audio issue with two different titles:

Bob & Tom: Comedy All Stars Tour
Jeff Dunham: Spark of Insanity

In those titles, all though-out the video, audience applause sounded horrible...very loud, tinney, unpleasant. The audio sounded fine otherwise...it was just during applause that the issue arose.

I've noticed no problems with other videos.

I'm pretty sure that the Bob & Tom video was playing at 3 stars, the Dunham one at 4 stars.

I haven't watched other videos with audiences to see if it is in others...will do.

Is anyone else having this problem?

I watched the Bob and Tom show. The applause was a little tinny but I didn't think it sounded horrible. On the other hand, I have Jeff's dvd and the applause on it is VERY loud compared to the rest of his show and is rather annoying. So I am not sure its a problem with the codec, it may be the way the dvd's were made.

unclebob

Mon Jul 14, 2008 9:03 pm

compressing dvd content for streaming is going to accentuate flaws in the dvd, unless the contnt owner provides the original elements to work from, and that is still no ward against encoding flaws.

Netflix provides four streams -- ranging from 0.5 megabits per second to 2.2 mbps. The box chooses a stream according to your bandwidth, influenced by congestion.

Since greater compression always means lesser quality, the 0.5 mbps stream has noticeably lesser audio quality, with no way around it short of increasing your bandwidth, or forcing higher bandwidth streams, which takes lots of buffering and may result in rebuffering at intervals.

When buffering, the box displays one to four dots to indicate which stream is being displayed. Did you notice the number of dots visible?

DoomsDay

Tue Jul 15, 2008 1:24 am

Mine was 4 dots. I have it forced to always go to 4 dots everytime.

unclebob

Tue Jul 15, 2008 1:25 pm

At that bandwidth, the sound should be decent, unless the DVD had bad sound to start with.

glen4cindy

Wed Jul 16, 2008 4:52 pm

DoomsDay wrote:

How do you do this?

unclebob

Thu Jul 17, 2008 8:05 am

glen4cindy wrote:
DoomsDay wrote:

How do you do this?

Using the remote, hit Home Home Home Home Home Rewind Rewind Rewind FastForward FastForward (that's 5 Homes, 3 Rewinds, 2 FastForwards), keypresses about 1/2 second apart. You may have to try several times and the trick is to make the keypresses spaced out far enough. (Remember, the last two are <<< Rewind and Fast Forward >>>, which are on the bottom row of buttons, not the < and > keys to the side of the select button.) This will take you into debug mode. On this screen you would see something like this:

NETFLIX bit rate override

Select a stream speed below to override the automatic stream
selection. This setting will remain in effect until you reboot the box.

enable playback debugging []
automatic []
2.2 Mbps []
1.6 Mbps []
1.0 Mbps []
0.5 Mbps []
back[]

DoomsDay

Fri Jul 18, 2008 11:11 am

unclebob wrote:
At that bandwidth, the sound should be decent, unless the DVD had bad sound to start with.

Thats what I said earlier. I have the DVD of Jeff Dunham and the audience is a lot louder on it then everything else.