Your Digital Media Has Never Looked So Good

cgrw
Topic Author

How to give VoIP priority over Roku player?

Fri Jul 18, 2008 3:16 pm

My phone, which uses Comcast VoIP, cuts in and out every time the Roku player is retrieving data, so cannot be used at the same time as the Roku player.

Is there a way to give the phone priority over Roku for bandwidth?

I get 4.2mbps on average and my Roku box gets 4 dots 95 percent of the time (except during simultaneous Internet downloads, in which case it gets 3 dots). I wouldn't mind if it goes down to 3 for the duration of phone calls. I've checked during test phone calls and Roku doesn't seem to give up any bandwidth (i.e. Roku is still at 4 dots while the phone cuts out so badly I can't understand a thing). Right now I just pause Roku if someone needs to use the phone, but it would be nice to be able to watch my shows at the same time. Any suggestions?

EDITED TO ADD: Just did a bit more testing. We actually have two phone lines and this only happens to the second (business) line. The main VoIP line actually works fine with the Roku going. I guess this isn't something that most people will run into. Maybe I'll give Comcast a call and see what the difference is between the two lines :wink:

DoomsDay

Fri Jul 18, 2008 4:08 pm

Depending on if your router has QOS or not it can be done. It may cause problems with the roku box though. You can give priority to different devices with QOS turned on in your router. Not sure about the second business line on if it uses more bandwidth or not. I use vonage over my time warner 10mbps connection and have no issues with having roku and voip going at the same time. You could always play around with the QOS stuff though to see if it causes you problems.

jsj123

voip qos

Sat Jul 19, 2008 3:49 pm

At my house, the Comcast phone is handled in the cable modem, so you have not control over it. They claim it is not a VOIP, but uses a separate cable channel. Guess your experience shows that may not be the case.

--Stephen

unclebob

Re: voip qos

Sat Jul 19, 2008 8:36 pm

jsj123 wrote:
At my house, the Comcast phone is handled in the cable modem, so you have not control over it. They claim it is not a VOIP, but uses a separate cable channel. Guess your experience shows that may not be the case.

--Stephen

The original poster called his service "Comcast VoIP," and Comcast does offer VOIP in some areas. You probably don't hve the same service,